Favourite writers

Guest Steve Burke

Guest Dave Stevens

My favourite sea angling writer has to be

John Darling. As far as I know he hasn't

done much lately, so I was surprised to see

his article in the most recent Sea Angler.

Guest Steve Burke

I remember John Darling's excellent articles in the old "Angling" magazines of the 70s & early 80s. Angling was one of the best mags of all times as far as I'm concerned purely because of the quality of the articles. Even though I did little sea or game fishing at the time, I read the whole magazine and learnt from it.

John, are there any younger writers you also like?

Guest eelslinger

This new book by a writer I haven't heard of hopefully will offer relief from the deadly dullness of surf manuals like Karas' 'The Striped Bass' or disappointing reflective ones like 'Surfcasters Quest'.

Dobrin, Sid

DISTANCE CASTING: Words and Ways of the Saltwater Fishing Life

In the summer of 1995, lifelong saltwater fisherman, Sid Dobrin accepted a job as a professor of English at the University of Kansas, taking him far away from the saltwater fishing world that had become not only a substantial part of his life but an essential part of him. The two years he spent away from the ocean gave him the necessary distance and perspective to reflect upon the lure of the saltwater fishing life familiar to anglers of all types and abilities---the taste of the sea’s salty spray while casting into the surf at sunrise; the calm, quiet drift of a boat on one’s favorite water; the sudden, determined tug of a battling fish on the end of a line. The result is this beautifully crafted collection of essays on a range of topics quaranteed to appeal to anyone who has ever cast a line into the sea, river, or lake in pursuit of wild gamefish. As Flip Pallot says in his forward, “Nothing is more considerate than a writer leaving enough space between his words and thoughts so as to allow the reader to insert his own.” And this author does, taking the reader along as he visits the universal, sometimes tangled role fathers play in the maturing of a young fisherman; the sanctity and security of fishing one’s home waters; the special relationship that can develop between comfortable fishing partners; the pleasures and pitfalls of drinking and fishing’ the peculiar allure of angling for redfish and bluefish; and the vital importance of every fisherman’s accepting his responsibility to care for our increasingly polluted and overfished waters. Evocative, entertaining, funny, and moving, Distance Casting is an accomplished literary journey through the words and ways of a saltwater fisherman. Signed. September.

Signed: $25.00