'Anglers Corner'

goosequill

A month or so ago I popped along to one of the 'Vintage Tackle Fairs' in Romsey, Hampshire. They have two shows a year, and I have over the years, picked up some good trinkets here and there.

Last time, I stumbled over a video tucked away on a bookcase called 'Anglers Corner' - it aroused a certain degree of curiousity with me and I parted with a fiver to explore further.

On returning home I put it in the video recorder expecting it be all 'grainy' and exhibiting dropouts on the audio but was greatly suprised with how it had survived! The video was issued in the mid 1980's and presents four 15 minute programmes produced by Bernard Veneables (who presents it) and film maker Maxwell Munden. The programmes were made for BBC2 in 1968 and the four on the tape are called Bream, Tench, Roach and Chub.

It is a simply wonderfull thing, to see the styles, tackle and baits of the 1960s (in colour too) I was for an hour, in a timewarp. To see Bernard Venables trotting for Roach on the Kennet whilst smoking his pipe was a joy.

My question - has anyone else seen these shows, or can some of our more 'mature' members remember the original series?? I would be most interested to hear your thoughts and recollections as there seems to be little information about the series or the maker, Max Munden.

Best Regards.

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it ,theres also a game fishing one as well ,its very good to see how people used to fish i patriculary liked the chub section.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Well I would just love to see that!! I am old enough to have seen the original showing on the BBC but I was away on HM duties in the Persian Gulf catching 100llb Groupers and such like.

Goosequill if you would be kind enough to copy the tape I would be very grateful, obviously I would refund all costs. In fact I reckon you could 'bbotleg' a few copies.

Put 'Anglers corner' into E-bay and you'll find someone who is selling DVD's of both the coarse and game series for about £3:00 . The seller says he has the rights to sell the DVD and has good feedback ( supposedly ). After what has been said on here i'm very tempted.

edit: Here's a link

Angler's corner on E-Bay

Edited by nomadpaul

• 3 years later...

I have a panasonic vhs video / dvd recorder and am happy to try to make a dvd copy for anyone who sends me a vhs video just pm me for my details

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I would not know how to post on utube not an area I am good at.

but I have successfully made dvd copies of some of my old vhs videos

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I remember them well, and enjoyed watching them many years ago. They've come down in price now as they used to fetch a lot more on the collector's market.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net