WIGAN FLASHES

Houghton

Could somebody please tell me the following regarding Wigan Flashes not on the Wigan AA card(Scotsmans, Westwood, Pearsons, Ochre and Waddicars):

1. Who controls them and how much to fish them?

2. I have not heard of anybody fishing Ochre Flash, is fishing allowed here?

3. What species of fish are in them and how big?

4. Are they worth fishing?

5. Is fishing allowed on Poolstock Brook as it is packed full of decent sized Chub?

6. I know this is not one of the Wigan Flashes but I used to fish a lake near the JJB called 'Limey'. Is fishing still allowed here?

Could somebody please tell me the following regarding Wigan Flashes not on the Wigan AA card(Scotsmans, Westwood, Pearsons, Ochre and Waddicars):

1. Who controls them and how much to fish them?

2. I have not heard of anybody fishing Ochre Flash, is fishing allowed here?

3. What species of fish are in them and how big?

4. Are they worth fishing?

5. Is fishing allowed on Poolstock Brook as it is packed full of decent sized Chub?

6. I know this is not one of the Wigan Flashes but I used to fish a lake near the JJB called 'Limey'. Is fishing still allowed here?

I've been fishing Pennington on day tickets for a few years and whilst it had a reputation for its roach, theyare rarer than ducks teeth. On the other hand, I've had my PB carp - both common and mirror from there, so I don't rule it out of my places to fish. Pennington is - or was on the Wiganticket. As for the others, I can't help, I'm afraid. I've been fishing the Pilkington's waters and some of the more accessible rivers and canals of late.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I've heard of Scotsmans but not the others.

I don't think any of those are on the wigan card, Scot lane pond certainly is, that is behind the JJB and towards beech hill near the traffic lights.

Also in this area on the wigan card is Houghtons which is adjacent to the renault garage but over the side road from it.

Both scot lane and houghtons contained decent fish though its a long while since I fished either.

For as long as I can remember the brook out of pennington flash has been Leigh anglers.

Not sure about the flashes you mention, but there is a commercial next to scotmans and also pollies at Abram, plus 2 wigan waters at bickershaw.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I can remember the brook out of pennington flash has been Leigh anglers.

You're right -ooops! Sorry for the confusion BTW, so is the Flash itself and both are pretty horrible, I haven't heard a good report from there for months - even from the pike anglers....

I have to say that the club officers are pretty dilatory about collecting day ticket money, too.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Waddicars - Fished it a few times. I am sure it is covered by Wigan AA. Never been checked for a ticket though? You often find a lot of waters arent registered as they cant get any bailiffs to collect monies or the ponds appear unfishable. I generally fish within the Wigan area and assume that if there is no literature regarding prices then it is free however if a Bailiff comes round then I pay them.

Back to Waddicars - I am sure that this place holds really big carp and tench. I remember going with a mate and we both got broke 2 times each early on. the fishing died off after dinner time.

Google is awesome for finding info on the other waters

I am 99% sure that the limey is inaccessable unless you go accross the canal as the access was blocked off

• 2 months later...

I know this reply is quite a while after the original post but I have just discovered this website and I may have another answer for you.

I used to fish the flashes you speak of quite regular as my Grandmother lives on Mottram drive right near waddicars flash. As far as i'm aware waddicars, westwood,scotsmans,pearsons,ochre,horrocks and the other flashes as well as a short stretch of the leeds liverpool canal leigh branch are (or were) controlled by an organisation called pearson and knowles (or something to that effect). Now I have fished these many times but the only one I have ever been asked for a ticket is Horrocks flash, which seems right as it is the best one really.

As for whats in them, I know waddicars has a good head of decent tench in it. I used to fish on the pole at about 7 metres just after the depth drops off, fish it hard on the bottom. Sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss but in summer i used to bag up, there is carp and pike in there as well as roach and perch. Westwood is the same, with a good head of tench although i've never really fished it that much. I've never tried pearson but i've never heard of anyone catching from it. Scotsmans does produce but i'm not sure of the quantity or quality but I do know there are a few big carp in there. As for the others they are pretty much the same.

For me waddicars is ideal because it is only 2 minutes walk from poolstock lane either down mottram drive or from the hill opposite the tippings arms and its relatively easy. it can get a bit crowded with unruly kids during the summer months and weekends, they don't seem to bothered with the anglers but can cause disturbance if you don't like being hassled. Your best bet would be to walk round the areas at various times and see who is fishing, all of the flashes are easily accessable from the canal towpaths so you don't have to stray far.

As for the brook, i've fished it many times for the chub to no avail but they are there, just be careful getting down to it because it has steep banks and is often very overgrown

I know this reply is quite a while after the original post but I have just discovered this website and I may have another answer for you.

I used to fish the flashes you speak of quite regular as my Grandmother lives on Mottram drive right near waddicars flash. As far as i'm aware waddicars, westwood,scotsmans,pearsons,ochre,horrocks and the other flashes as well as a short stretch of the leeds liverpool canal leigh branch are (or were) controlled by an organisation called pearson and knowles (or something to that effect). Now I have fished these many times but the only one I have ever been asked for a ticket is Horrocks flash, which seems right as it is the best one really.

As for whats in them, I know waddicars has a good head of decent tench in it. I used to fish on the pole at about 7 metres just after the depth drops off, fish it hard on the bottom. Sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss but in summer i used to bag up, there is carp and pike in there as well as roach and perch. Westwood is the same, with a good head of tench although i've never really fished it that much. I've never tried pearson but i've never heard of anyone catching from it. Scotsmans does produce but i'm not sure of the quantity or quality but I do know there are a few big carp in there. As for the others they are pretty much the same.

For me waddicars is ideal because it is only 2 minutes walk from poolstock lane either down mottram drive or from the hill opposite the tippings arms and its relatively easy. it can get a bit crowded with unruly kids during the summer months and weekends, they don't seem to bothered with the anglers but can cause disturbance if you don't like being hassled. Your best bet would be to walk round the areas at various times and see who is fishing, all of the flashes are easily accessable from the canal towpaths so you don't have to stray far.

As for the brook, i've fished it many times for the chub to no avail but they are there, just be careful getting down to it because it has steep banks and is often very overgrown

I think they're pretty much all available on day tickets when someone can be bothered coming to collect money.

Rainfords, which is now part of Horrocks after the local authority in their Wisdom dug it all through into one water, is free fishing. Horrocks is Wigan AA water but imho Rainfords is better anyway. You can also get a car through to Rainfords via a 'level crossing' at the end of Boars Lodge fishery.

The Tench fishing in particular can be very good with a high average size for the region. There used to be some really good Rudd and Carp too.

Thanks rourke7719, I don't know why I put The Waddicars on my query list as I am actually pretty familiar with it, but didn't realise it held Carp? Crucian Carp do you mean? I've had them out.

It also holds some beautiful big Rudd and the odd Chub. I have also been told that years ago about 6 unwanted pet Catfish were dumped into it!

As for the brook, I used to fish it regular with some success (about 12 years ago when I was still at school). Back then I didn't really care if I was allowed to fish it or not I just made sure I had my rod license with me (How can you find out information on places like this, can you assume if there is no information or no 'no fishing' signs that its okay to fish?).

Pain in the backside them bloody Chub were, I'd try my best to seek up on them or move upstream of them but they always spotted me or simply didn't bother taking the bait. Only a few times I got lucky free lining bread or black slugs.

I had a walk over there last summer and my God them Chub have grown and multiplied! The downside is the steep bank is far more overgrown and access upstream of the Chub is almost impossible unless you wade in!

Thanks rourke7719, I don't know why I put The Waddicars on my query list as I am actually pretty familiar with it, but didn't realise it held Carp? Crucian Carp do you mean? I've had them out.

It also holds some beautiful big Rudd and the odd Chub. I have also been told that years ago about 6 unwanted pet Catfish were dumped into it!

As for the brook, I used to fish it regular with some success (about 12 years ago when I was still at school). Back then I didn't really care if I was allowed to fish it or not I just made sure I had my rod license with me (How can you find out information on places like this, can you assume if there is no information or no 'no fishing' signs that its okay to fish?).

Pain in the backside them bloody Chub were, I'd try my best to seek up on them or move upstream of them but they always spotted me or simply didn't bother taking the bait. Only a few times I got lucky free lining bread or black slugs.

I had a walk over there last summer and my God them Chub have grown and multiplied! The downside is the steep bank is far more overgrown and access upstream of the Chub is almost impossible unless you wade in!

Like I said its been a while since i've been down there. As for the carp in waddicars, I'm not referring to crucian, however what I probably should have also mentioned is that I haven't seen them and I'm only passing on what I've heard from other anglers, I used to fish it for the tench really. Sometimes in the summer if you stand on the hill and look over waddicars you can see the familiar dark sillouette commonly associated with carp, maybe thats where the stories come from but as to the true identity I don't know, maybe they are chub or the mysterious cat fish you spoke of.

Sounds like you used to fish the areas about the times as I did, I fished them up to about 1998 quite regular whilst still at school because they were local, I fished them on and off since but because I lived out of wigan I only managed to get down there when visiting family. Will have to try them more often now that I have moved back.