What Winter Bait

Elton

Practically anything organic will do that in large enough quantities.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Flyfish,

I can see where you're coming from mate, but I do think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

As Newt points out, anything organic you put into the water will cause pollution if put in at levels that the water can't cope with. The reality is fish often prefer baits that are 'ripe'. One of the prime times to use a bait like tigernuts is when they are beginning to foment & are smelling pretty iffy. Another is worm that have died but not yet become unusable, this is of course providing you can stand the smell!

The theory is, that lots more goodies within the bait are made available to the fish through the process of rotting. Might I suggest that the fishery owner that has banned sweetcorn has done so because it is an emetic (sp) which means it passes through the system quickly, but as it does so it takes a lot of nutritional foodstuff with it, thus preventing fish utilizing quality foodstuffs to their best advantage.

I know of a couple of fisheries who have banned sweetcorn on this basis.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• 2 years later...
Posted on behalf of Big H. Please add all replies to this thread:

to be honest i'd say caster there better than maggot because maggots they have to chew casters are liquid feed realy i took half a pint of caster and half a worm caught 4 carp 2 tench 2 of carp was 8 pound up :D