Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Hunting, shooting and fishing poll

• Please log in to reply
471 replies to this topic

Poll: Hunting, shooting and fishing (151 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you actively:

1. Just fish (91 votes [59.48%])

Percentage of vote: 59.48%

2. Fish and shoot (24 votes [15.69%])

Percentage of vote: 15.69%

3. Fish and hunt (5 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

4. Fish, shoot and hunt (33 votes [21.57%])

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#11 Emma two

Emma two

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Fishin', cooking, painting, history, making drums.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

I fish (all varieties) and shoot. By hunt I assume that you mean fox hunting on horseback with a pack of hounds as that is what hunt means to me.
I have never hunted on horseback (I don't ride) but have always supported ALL fieldsports including hunting because I feel it is hypocritical in the extreme for me to take part in my chosen fieldsports but wish to deny others the right tp take part in theirs.
For this reason I went on both Countryside Alliance marches on London against the anti hunting bill.
Anyone who is anti fieldsports should be anti all fieldsports. I don't think that you can be selective. Either for or against.

I agree with that, just a point to note though, not all hunts are mounted, our local ones are foot/fell packs, horses wouldn't get up to some of the places.

The united field sports lobby was the way to go, despite it's failure to prevent our masters in Westminster getting their way. There was a potential for shooting and hunting to seperate themselves. There is sometimes conflicts of interests between the two sports, inevitable in a small counrty with limited resources of space. For example the keepers rage when a years work might be wasted when the full field of hounds, huntsmen and followers go charging through a covert the day before a shoot. However when the chips were down many realised that the whole of country sports were/are under threat and acted unitedly.
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

#12 lutra

lutra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Interests:fishing

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

I've shot many Pheasants with a decent slug gun. If you shoot them in the head/neck there dead instantly, If you shoot it in the chest/lungs it won't last long or you should get chance to pop another in to it and go pick it up. The good thing about shooting Pheasnats Rabits etc with the slug gun is their not bruised or smashed like often happens with shotguns and far better if you want them for the table. If you shoot a mink in the head it will also be dead instantly.

Not doubting it effectiveness, but i didn't think it was legal to shoot game with an air gun.
A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

#13 Guest_tigger_*

Guest_tigger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:15 PM

Not doubting it effectiveness, but i didn't think it was legal to shoot game with an air gun.

I can't see it being illegal to use an airrifle to shoot game as in the airrifle mags i've seen years back it was promoted. If it is illegal it never stopped me Brian :D
At the end of the day it's illegal to spit on the pavement but a lot do it :o :)

Brian, I'll give you a bell later m8, I don't think things look to tropical for tomorrow bud.

Edited by tigger, 14 October 2008 - 03:18 PM.

#14 lutra

lutra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Interests:fishing

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

Brian, I'll give you a bell later m8, I don't think things look to tropical for tomorrow bud.

Cheers Ian.
A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

#15 Sportsman

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,852 posts
  • Interests:Golf
    Talking about fishing

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

I had to look it up:

Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981.

All birds and animals are protected by law.

Certain species are classified as pests or vermin, and only these species can be legitimately shot. This can only be done by authorised persons. An authorised person is someone who has the proper permission from the land owner to control pests on that land.

Air Gun Prey.

The following pests are concidered suitable for controlling using an air weapon.The UK law is 12ftlb for a rifle and 6ftlb for a pistol.

Brown Rat.
Grey squirrel.
Rabbit.
Crow.
Rook.
Magpie.
Jay.
Wood pigeon.
Collared dove.
Feral pigeon.
House mouse.
Mink.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

#16 Angly

Angly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Photography<br />Recreational MTB/ATB<br />Shooting (occasionally)<br />Computing<br /><br />

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

I don't think reporting them would go down well. It's a landed estate with a "shoot".
:-)

MC

Well that's hardly shooting birds just for fun in my opinion, it's ruddy difficult to cook and eat them whilst they're flying! :)

If hunting to eat, and enjoying it, is a moral crime in your book, where does that leave angling (where we hunt, injure, and return with no end product 'just for fun')? You see the dilemma I hope? ;)

The UK law is 12ftlb for a rifle and 6ftlb for a pistol.

I hate to be pedantic (OK, I lie!), but the Law states UNDER 12ft/lbs and 6ft/lbs. 12ft/lbs and over requires a Section 1 F.A.C.

Edited by Angly, 14 October 2008 - 04:13 PM.

Geoff

#17 corydoras

corydoras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,151 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

Anyone who is anti fieldsports should be anti all fieldsports. I don't think that you can be selective. Either for or against.

I disagree. When fox hunting was made illegal I was against the ban, mostly because I don't like people banning things. It was a close run thing though because I kept hearing from pro hunting types that hunting foxes with hounds was an 'efficient' means of fox control and I didn't accept that then and I still don't today. Hunting deer with dogs and hounds is totally wrong IMO.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

#18 Tony U

Tony U

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, fishing and more fishing and oh yes Morris Dancing

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

I just actively fish but I have shot in the past and would have no problems in doing so again.

Tony
Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

#19 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,988 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

I clicked all three as i put rabbiting (no gun) under hunting.

Said John, "I am a splendid shot"

and Sandy said, "I've fished a lot"

While Pat said, "I'm a sporting man,

and I catch anything I can"

From "Sportsmen Three"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#20 Guest_tigger_*

Guest_tigger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

I disagree. When fox hunting was made illegal I was against the ban, mostly because I don't like people banning things. It was a close run thing though because I kept hearing from pro hunting types that hunting foxes with hounds was an 'efficient' means of fox control and I didn't accept that then and I still don't today. Hunting deer with dogs and hounds is totally wrong IMO.

Hunting with dogs is the finest sport in the world. It's a good selective way also as the fittest will usually be the ones to run another day.