Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Hunting, shooting and fishing poll

• Please log in to reply
471 replies to this topic

Poll: Hunting, shooting and fishing (151 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you actively:

1. Just fish (91 votes [59.48%])

Percentage of vote: 59.48%

2. Fish and shoot (24 votes [15.69%])

Percentage of vote: 15.69%

3. Fish and hunt (5 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

4. Fish, shoot and hunt (33 votes [21.57%])

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 corydoras

corydoras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hunting with dogs is the finest sport in the world. It's a good selective way also as the fittest will usually be the ones to run another day.

It's not efficient in terms of man hours per fox. Where I was brought up the rule was, "thou shalt not suffer a fox to live", we didn't want any getting away "for another day" and we didn't have daft gamekeepers breeding the bloody things so that the hunt had enough to hunt.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

#22 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,630 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

I disagree. When fox hunting was made illegal I was against the ban, mostly because I don't like people banning things. It was a close run thing though because I kept hearing from pro hunting types that hunting foxes with hounds was an 'efficient' means of fox control and I didn't accept that then and I still don't today. Hunting deer with dogs and hounds is totally wrong IMO.

fox hunting isnt illegal :blink: hunting with two or more dogs is but "driving" foxes towards guns isnt ,so long as mr hound doesnt kill the fox you can use as many as you like
hunting is the word to remember.
its labours effort to punish the country dweller riding about in red coats ,pity ooop north horses are substituted by feet :D thatl confuse labour

Edited by chesters1, 14 October 2008 - 05:06 PM.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Whitby scallops caught by scottish boats best that money can buy,the nearer the shore they're dredged the better they taste

#23 lutra

lutra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Interests:fishing

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

Said John, "I am a splendid shot"

and Sandy said, "I've fished a lot"

While Pat said, "I'm a sporting man,

and I catch anything I can"

From "Sportsmen Three"

:) :) :)

Get to bed if your off early and enjoy your tiger hunting.
A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

#24 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,988 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

Get to bed if your off early and enjoy your tiger hunting.

We fly tomorrow evening, flying overnight, so I can annoy everyone just a bit longer.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#25 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,060 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Photography,Internet

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

Never liked the idea of hunting and I stoped shooting many years ago.Now I only fish.
And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

#26 Guest_tigger_*

Guest_tigger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

It's not efficient in terms of man hours per fox. Where I was brought up the rule was, "thou shalt not suffer a fox to live", we didn't want any getting away "for another day" and we didn't have daft gamekeepers breeding the bloody things so that the hunt had enough to hunt.

When I used to do a lot on Charlie I used nets, shotguns Terries and Lurchers. If we where after clearing Charlie out then we would use nets, lurchers and shot guns and we took no prisoners. Wev'e had seven adult foxes out of one small set ......I'd say that was pretty efficient.
By the way we never set out to make Charlie extinct but to keep his numbers down.

#27 Emma two

Emma two

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Fishin', cooking, painting, history, making drums.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

It's not efficient in terms of man hours per fox.

Perhaps not, but then nor is angling an especially efficient way of catching fish. On sunday I saw 10 men fishing a match on a well stocked small commercial, the total result of their efforts would not have filled 2 decent fish pies, wheras 2 men with a net could have emptied the place, but then we all know thats not the point, 'angling' for 'em is much more fun.

Hunting while costly in 'man hours' is the only method of taking foxes which ensures a quick kill.

Edited by Emma two, 14 October 2008 - 05:41 PM.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

#28 Smt

Smt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:Lure angling for pike and sea trout.
    Region Rivers Trust committee member.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

Well that's hardly shooting birds just for fun in my opinion, it's ruddy difficult to cook and eat them whilst they're flying!

They are not killing them to eat them though. You can't eat that many pheasants! They actually enjoy the act of taking the life of a pheasant (partridge, grouse etc).

If hunting to eat, and enjoying it, is a moral crime in your book....

I didn't *even* say killing animals for fun was a moral crime, I said it scared and revulsed me. As it happens it also saddens me.

...where does that leave angling (where we hunt, injure, and return with no end product 'just for fun')? You see the dilemma I hope? ;)

As I said, the fact that I like angling and therefore harm fish for fun puts me on dodgy ground and is one of the reasons I'd find it hard to argue against shooting and hunting. So I do see the dilemma, all too acutely in fact.

MC

Edited by ModelCitizen, 14 October 2008 - 05:46 PM.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

#29 JV44

JV44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Interests:Fishing ,boating and drinking

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Used to shoot a bit but now its only Pigeons of the clay type and Rats really hate Rats,Never been hunting but family and friends do so have often been to Hunt balls for the entertainment value.
Dont like the ban it because i dont do it mentality that seems to be part of today i have no interest in going Hunting so i dont but think that some of the fishing styles could be and do take stick for being cruel but again if you are not happy then dont do it use that method.
My tuppence worth anyway good subject Anderoo stand back and light the blue touchpaper ;) Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh:  :icecream:

#30 corydoras

corydoras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

Perhaps not, but then nor is angling an especially efficient way of catching fish. On sunday I saw 10 men fishing a match on a well stocked small commercial, the total result of their efforts would not have filled 2 decent fish pies, wheras 2 men with a net could have emptied the place, but then we all know thats not the point, 'angling' for 'em is much more fun.

Hunting while costly in 'man hours' is the only method of taking foxes which ensures a quick kill.

Emma
I was born and brought up on Scottish hill farms, farms that were not 'tenant' farms so we did not have to let any hunt on our land. Foxes were vermin, like mice, rats, cockroaches. We didn't kill foxes or any other wildlife for 'fun', we killed them so that they would not take new born lambs. A high velocity .22 or a .303 round usually results in a pretty quick kill. Ten bores and sparrow hail were not used.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote