Dumping North Sea fish 'immoral'

UK_Ozzie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diabolos, you clearly have me at a distinct advantage since you presume to know everything about me - Whilst I'm deeply flattered, at least get the spelling of my first name right. Since I rarely bother to watch TV would you care to enlighten me as to your identity?

Given your infinite knowledge of fisheries would you also care to share how you determine a lack of hyperbaric effect from simply viewing a bit of footage for those that are less enlightened than yourself and do not have the ability to deal in what's concrete in the same way that you clearly can?

Yours humbly

Davey

DB, once again you avoid the question and attempt to deflect. This is clearly going nowhere, so in order not to distract or detract from people who genuinely want to contribute to a serious topic and thread, I think we should respectfully agree to disagree. If there any points on which you want clarification please feel free to message me privately.

S

In Nomine Satanas

It seems to me that the "no discards" policy is the logical answer.

If the Commercial boat is using the approved net sizes (which one assumes are designed not to catch small, or unwanted species), then everything that comes out of his net should be taken back to the port.

There it is sorted, categorised, weighed, or whatever else you need to do and set against his quota/allowance.

That way nothing is wasted.

This would seem to be the way a lot of the European boats work, as the small fish on their market stalls would suggest.

Perhaps we shouldn't criticise them catching small fish, at least they are not throwing them back to the seagulls.

As for the suggestion that when the net is opened, the crewmen should run around hand releasing any alive small fish......... :rolleyes:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Quite clearly a set up for the camera. My neighbour trawls praws out of the same port and says prawns are plentiful in the right area. Clearly that trawl was done on the wrong area to optimise the cod catch. Did anyone notice the size of the fish ? Mostly juveniles.

Set up.

Questions i have is: size of the mesh in the cod end looked a bit large for prawns, did they need some type of filler in the mesh like discard to help retain the little prawn that they managed to catch.

Why wasn't the wriggling ones (fish) put back immediatly in the name of conservation.

Was there a problem with the electronics, was they off course, as in the vidio he did make it clear that with what he had it was pinpoint accurate.

Off slightly, are these the 'cod' that they, including the minister are looking to target or do they know of a shoal of real fish that are out there somewhere. If it is the former then i would have to say that they are indeed fishing for discard as opposed to avoiding it.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

:clap2: When will you all realise this conservation scheme to avoid discards is just a con by the commercials to get a bigger quota. Once the larger quota is caught, if they get one, they will then start throwing fish back into the sea dead and claiming it's the quota system that's to blame, not the commercial skippers greed in wanting to catch the last cod in the sea. Wake up, it's a scam and you've all fallen for it. :schmoll:

Spot on norm :thumbs: so obvious a blind man can see it, problem is its conning joe public nicely, now who is going to persuade the bbc to do a slot to expose this? any offers

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

The worst aspect of the whole farce is that the fisheries minister has swallowed the whole setup and believes that there should now be an increase in cod quota :angry::rolleyes:

My prefered way forward would be scrap individual boat quotas.Implement a series of zones and TAC's, when the TAC in a zone is taken it closes to all catch and kill fishing. And absolutely no discards allowed. Also stop prawn trawling - use creels. Stop any dredge fishery.

And no commercials with 1 mile of shore. No 10m or larger vessels within 10miles.

That way there is a vague chance there may be a future for our seas.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

We get criticised for making no positive suggestions, so here is my solution.

Divide the sea (including the coast) into a "checkerboard" of equal sized squares 15 miles across (or some suitable size agreed with the fishermen). On the "black squares" all fish are takeable, no discards allowed. On the "white squares" absolutely no fishing (including by anglers). Any boat fishing in a white square is cleaned out and then sunk in that square to provide habitat.

If a hotspot falls in a no-fishing zone then tough, find another one. Same if a small boat's home port lies in a no fishing zone, move.

After a few years the trawlers won't want to fish the white squares, because they will be littered with wrecks, while the black squares will be totally clean ground.

Good for the fishermen because they can work every day.

Good for the fish because the unfished areas will eventually provide better habitat and hence more food.

Good for the scientists because it CAN be policed and effects can be measured.