Wingham Fish-In 2008

Steve Burke

What sort of setup is generally needed for fishing at Wingham? From what I've read from previous topics it is mostly buzzers, I fish mostly on rivers or floar fish still waters so I don't have any of the equipment really i.e. multiple rod setup, buzzers, bivvy etc.

Errrm

help is in abundance, Errrm. when newt and i were at wingham, i had the best 2 gillies one could ask for (Poledark and Leon) with Steve Burke right there, too. it's great to put faces to names (well, on the most part it is) and helps make the forum come to life.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really doesn't have to be buzzers etc. It depends on the swim Steve gives you though I think he tries to match swims to anglers preferred methods. Last time I had all my fish at distance but I think others caught in the margins. It also depends on what you are hoping to catch.

That's right. In fact before the event I send everyone coming a detailed questionnaire on their preferences and the gear they have etc. I can usually accomodate what most guests are looking for even though it needs a lot of tinkering, especially if there's a last minute change in the wind direction.

The vast majority of the swims fish very well in the margins, and many respond to under the rod top float tactics. However, because guests can fish up to 3 days/2 nights many prefer to ledger as it's more relaxing. This is especially so as you don't get many bites - but those you do are more often than not from specimen fish!

I'm sure we can lend anyone who needs to borrow one a bivvy and bedchair etc . Alternatively guests can sleep in the clubhouse that has a lounge, kitchen, bait room, loos, and even a shower.

Does anyone know if Jan & I hold the 'distance traveled to fish Wingham' record or has someone topped 4460 miles?

Yep! Nick holds the record otherwise, travelling down from almost the north of Scotland!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yep! Nick holds the record otherwise, travelling down from almost the north of Scotland!

And hoping to push the UK travel record up by about 120 miles next may, I'm now about 740 miles away, but with my driving licence back, and no pregnant wife I may well be able to make it down for next May's fish-in. Here's hoping :)

And I really do think it's worth the trip, Wingham really is a fantastic place, and that is totally ignoring the unequalled fishing potential.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Just got to underline what Anderoo said about you guys who have not yet fished Wingham putting your name down.

Ive been lucky enough to have fished most of the country (if not in fact most of Europes) top waters.Some have cost me a lot of arse licking and favours! others have cost me relationships! and others vast sums of hard cash! Wingham must rate as one of the top specimen waters of modern day and us lucky people are being given not only the chance to fish it for free but to have the owner actially show us how and where to fish it!

In just one of the previous two day AN fish ins there were more specimen fish caught than would have been reported to the angling press in a complete season a decade or so ago! Those are the hard facts.On top of that you also have the unique chance to fish a really beautiful and tranquil water where time seems to stand still.

Dont worry if youve not got some bit of tackle or not used to big fish angling.Plenty of people there to help you out.

The most amazing thing in angling to me every year is that this event is often under subscribed!!!

Make the effort cause you are mugs if you dont.

I can never understand why the Fish-In is always undersubscribed either.

Is it the distance?

Are members put off because it's not as easy as the waters they're used to?

Any ideas? :g:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I also would love to fish at Wingham in May. distance is not a problem, I live just across the ditch in Essex but being more of a lurker than a contributor I'm not sure if I qualify................ :unsure:

Maybe Vidar can put in a good word for me......... :unsure::thumbs:

Cheers

Barry :rolleyes:

I've got to say i would love to come and fish it, but for me it's the distance. Probably 500 miles or so, and with a young family, a days fishing anywhere would be a godsend :D

Paul.

Barry

but being more of a lurker than a contributor I'm not sure if I qualify................ :unsure:

You fully qualify and then some.

Fishing Wingham is an experience not to be missed. Catching there is a wonderful bonus but absolutely not essential.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can never understand why the Fish-In is always undersubscribed either.

Is it the distance?

Are members put off because it's not as easy as the waters they're used to?

Any ideas? :g:

I always seem to be unavailable due to being on-call at work that weekend. I had to give backword a few years ago on the one chance I've had due to my Grandfather passing away. Perhaps a change of the weekend by one week?

Paul