How Gill Nets Work.

samuel-cox

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I have read all of the postings relating to netting of fish, prawns and crabs for bait.

Everyone owing and using a net whatever sort should be registered and pay a fee.

How do I come to this conculsion. If the goverment is going to introduce a saltwater rod licence before they carry out this they MUST make sure everyone else is a) paying their due and B) following the laws that apply.

I am 62 this year and I have fresh and salt water angling since I was 4. In that time I have seen rivers and lakes improve year on year, whilst sea fishing has been in a steady decline.

Search as I might this year over a 14kl beach the shoals of sandeels were missing.

When we look at commercial fishing we have to look at the complete picture. The trawling for sandeels use for fish manure is a CRIME and this would also apply to large trawlers going after prawns. It destroys not only the eco-system for growing fish, it also deprives all of our coastal birds such as puffins of their food. These are the areas to target first and it is up to all of us to shout as loudly as possible.

Large trawlers should be banned from all coatal waters, taking one area as an example from Lands End to St. Davids Head. This would then preserve large stocks of fish for breeding.

We also need to look at our own practices as rod and line fishermen or should that be fisherpersons?

Take a flounder fishing comp on an estuary with 500 hundred anglers lined up for a £1000 prize. If they average 4 fish each and I have heard of 20 + in some catches, we are looking at 2000 fish being removed from the system, four comps per year and I don't care what anyone says, this is a lot of damage to a small area. I do take a couple of fish for the pot but I return upwards of 90% of sizeable fish during the year.

I love my hobby and the enviroment it exists in.

This year whilst I was paddling around in a remote estuary system looking for peelers I was over joyed to see hundreds of baby flounders darting away and thousands of prawns and young fish specices unknown. These little hot spots do still exist and flourish.

Sorry to spout on.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

OK chaps, take the debate a stage further, next time you have a bacon sadwich...and you think...mmmm this tastes/smells a of fish, well? the chances are it does! and if its Dane pak etc, its because what is the Danish economy based on??? Dairy, and what is it fed?????FISH MEAL!!!!!! go to Esjburgh and witness the countless thousands of tons of meal that are landed and processed every year, and that is never spoken of? so who is going to stop eating bacon sarnies to help conservation and the cause? my guess...nobody, its like I said its a far bigger, and further reaching than the average chap realises, the common fishereis policy takes it all into account, they know its a pivitol thing for the Danes, and allow it,how can you kill chicks and have chickens?? and if only out of curiosity perhaps the likes of Alan would like to contact me direct, or any body else for that matter, I am as happy as hell to dispell myths with facts, I can probably give him a further twenty five years by direct working/association to commercial fishing, ..happy to listen...and talk,

ha ha, but yes i guess the white stuff that that cooks out while you fry it... oh what the heck, use your senses, ....is welsh bacon that differant?? STOP I am not even going down this line!!!

If gill netting was banned within 1 mile of the shore it woulndnt touch most gill netters.

There has not been a real Pair Trawling for Bass BAN.

The govement have baned it within a 12 mile limit where very little pair trawling for bass was done any way, Just a farsical thing to satisfy the ignorant, the govement trying to make us think its doing the right thing. Joke realy

All salt cured bacon is that different you do not get anything cooking out of other that pork fat. the supermarket thin plastic is not bacon and i certainly wouldn't mix it with my welsh free range eggs.

my point is quite simple, just because it is done do we have to continue doing it. all the time we sit down and except this stupidity we are robbing the future generations of a decent life. i have an 18 month old grandson and i look around me and i am ashamed of what my generation including myself are passing on to him. because that white stuff comes out of cheap bacon do we have to accept it, i personally say NO.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

hi all saw this thread and had to come in,

re gillnetting on the blackwater,as ihad a mooring at bradwell on the blackwater,for two years, i have fished this area,

and did think thatthe blackwater was one of our nursery areas for bass, but found that the area was extensivly gill netted out, true that the majority of bass that are taken are around 1 and half to two pounds, surely these are juvenile bass and you would think they would get some protection, in a bass nursery area, but no i have seen a gill netting boat,in the river run thousands of mtrs of gillnet, and run his boat as close in shore as he could,and would then get out of the boat in waders and run the nets even further in to the shallows, we have fished the river on many occasion and yes you do catch plenty of bass,but 99 out of a hundred were 4 to six inches, it seemed that every thing was being filtered out, sorry for my gripe