Best places to fish - River Wye Hereford Area

steve williams

As per the title .... trip to hereford 7/8/9 nov

if anyone knows this area, can you suggest stretches that are worth fishing - mainly for barbel but roach & chub also. Day ticket stretches preferrable as this will be our first trip to hereford. We have fished at Ross before and caught fish on the town stretch.

Will obviously be getting advice from the local tackle shops when we're there, but any info in advance of that would be welcome

Thanks

From searching the barbel forums and it seems that the town centre near the tennis courts (??) is a favoured stretch. Constant bait going in would suggest bread, so flake would be ideal for roach and chub, and barbel love it too i hear.

if anyone knows this area, can you suggest stretches that are worth fishing - mainly for barbel but roach & chub also. Day ticket stretches preferrable as this will be our first trip to hereford. We have fished at Ross before and caught fish on the town stretch.

Will obviously be getting advice from the local tackle shops when we're there, but any info in advance of that would be welcome

Thanks

I am going to Hereford for the middle three days of next week.

I plan to fish the lower end of the City stretch,known by some as "Poplars" and by most as "opposite the Flats".

Your targets are found in these areas,particularly barbel.

If you visit Woodys Tackle in Whitecross Road he will give you solid advice on the up-to-the-minute Hot-spots.

BTW - - Woodys is the only Tackle shop left in Hereford,unless someone has opened up very recently.

Look for an update when I get back next Friday morning - - I'll tell you even if I blank !

I plan to fish the lower end of the City stretch,known by some as "Poplars" and by most as "opposite the Flats".

If you visit Woodys Tackle in Whitecross Road he will give you solid advice on the up-to-the-minute Hot-spots.

BTW - - Woodys is the only Tackle shop left in Hereford,unless someone has opened up very recently.

Look for an update when I get back next Friday morning - - I'll tell you even if I blank !

Very sorry to say that my plans have been mucked up. No report from the Wye at Hereford this week - - - -curses!

• 9 months later...

Im from Hereford, there is another tackle shop, up near ASDA, called Sues Angling, this is my preferred store.

For the Barbel, i found just downstream of the tennis courts, you will see a bridge, known as the Victoria Bridge, keep on going downstream past the bridge, approx 400-600 yards, and head down to the river there, its fast flowing, fairly shallow, and loaded with barbel!

Up on the river, near ASDA is where some BIG pike lurk

I cant think where the POPLARS or OPPOSITE the FLATS is??

Im from Hereford, there is another tackle shop, up near ASDA, called Sues Angling, this is my preferred store.

For the Barbel, i found just downstream of the tennis courts, you will see a bridge, known as the Victoria Bridge, keep on going downstream past the bridge, approx 400-600 yards, and head down to the river there, its fast flowing, fairly shallow, and loaded with barbel!

Up on the river, near ASDA is where some BIG pike lurk

I cant think where the POPLARS or OPPOSITE the FLATS is??

You may know it as the Eign stretch.It is upstream from the Sewage Works,and quite a long walk from Eign railway bridge. The flats are on the far bank,well down from Hinton Court,and the Poplars are slightly further upstream where a beach section is exposed when the water is a summer level.Depending how old you are you may remember the area as Bartonsham Bathing Station,but that was a long time back ;)

I haven't found Asda or Sues tackle shop - - - - can you give a location please? I shall be visiting again in late September.

You may know it as the Eign stretch.It is upstream from the Sewage Works,and quite a long walk from Eign railway bridge. The flats are on the far bank,well down from Hinton Court,and the Poplars are slightly further upstream where a beach section is exposed when the water is a summer level.Depending how old you are you may remember the area as Bartonsham Bathing Station,but that was a long time back ;)

I haven't found Asda or Sues tackle shop - - - - can you give a location please? I shall be visiting again in late September.

Ahhhh... eign stretch, i know that, where the sewage outlet is, lies some big pike!!! i caught my 1st pike there, double figures...low 20s in weight??? scared the life out of me!! the beached section i think ur reffering to is the victoria bridge area, called "the vicky pebble beach"? thats near or at bartonsham farms area...that section i said about barbel is there...bartonsham farm...all just down stream of the victoria bridge or "vicky bridge"

Asda, well, it depends on where you're travelling from really, north of hereford, then its the A49 towards Ross on Wye (M50), you'll head over a large dual carriage way bridge, and to your right is Asda, and the Wye, sues angling is 200 yards from asda, stay on the A49, when you get to the asda area, there are 4 lanes, stay in the left hand lane going forward, you should see a wine shop on the left, take the 1st left after the wine shop called Hinton Road, then sues is approx 150 yards on the right.

Sues Angling

16-18 Hinton Rd

Hereford, HR2 6BL

01432 261047

Ahhhh... eign stretch, i know that, where the sewage outlet is, lies some big pike!!! i caught my 1st pike there, double figures...low 20s in weight??? scared the life out of me!! the beached section i think ur reffering to is the victoria bridge area, called "the vicky pebble beach"? thats near or at bartonsham farms area...that section i said about barbel is there...bartonsham farm...all just down stream of the victoria bridge or "vicky bridge"

Asda, well, it depends on where you're travelling from really, north of hereford, then its the A49 towards Ross on Wye (M50), you'll head over a large dual carriage way bridge, and to your right is Asda, and the Wye, sues angling is 200 yards from asda, stay on the A49, when you get to the asda area, there are 4 lanes, stay in the left hand lane going forward, you should see a wine shop on the left, take the 1st left after the wine shop called Hinton Road, then sues is approx 150 yards on the right.

Sues Angling

16-18 Hinton Rd

Hereford, HR2 6BL

01432 261047

Hi Offitmassive,

I Googled Asda and Sues after I made my Post (should have done it first !). Of course I know where Asda is (now that I've looked).Trouble is---when you are fighting for position and survival on that wretched round-a-bout you don't notice anything other than the traffic.My approach is from Ross.

Thanks for putting me right anyway.

The beach section that is along the Poplars stretch is a long way down from Vicky bridge,and on the other side of the river to the shingle beach that I used to play on many years ago..The beach section (and the six or seven poplar trees) is almost opposite the road from Hinton Court that comes down to the river from Hinton Road.Used to be Mathews Farm,but I think some big Dairy concern owns the land now.

I do know the bit below Victoria Bridge that you recommended---- I had eight Barbel from there during the last week of the 08/09 season.

Al the best, Brian. :)

Hi Offitmassive,

I Googled Asda and Sues after I made my Post (should have done it first !). Of course I know where Asda is (now that I've looked).Trouble is---when you are fighting for position and survival on that wretched round-a-bout you don't notice anything other than the traffic.My approach is from Ross.

Thanks for putting me right anyway.

The beach section that is along the Poplars stretch is a long way down from Vicky bridge,and on the other side of the river to the shingle beach that I used to play on many years ago..The beach section (and the six or seven poplar trees) is almost opposite the road from Hinton Court that comes down to the river from Hinton Road.Used to be Mathews Farm,but I think some big Dairy concern owns the land now.

I do know the bit below Victoria Bridge that you recommended---- I had eight Barbel from there during the last week of the 08/09 season.

Al the best, Brian. :)

OK, from Ross, do you know where Broadleys pub is??? Its like a cross croads 1/4 mile before THAT asda roundabout...turn right there, you'l see a kiddies park on your left, turn left after the park, you'l drive down oak cresent with white flats on your right, follow that to the end, take a left, follow that to the end, beware the speed humps, once at the end, take a left..you're now on...Hinton Rd...200 yards on your left is Sues...you've now avoided that roundabout cuz you cant turn right into Hinton Road coming from Ross, only a left from the roundabout

How far past vicky bridge is the poplars stretch?? i thought that it was bartonsham farm ( the dairy farm you were on about) cuz thats a fair trek with ya kit... its opposite that farm the site i was on about down by the flats i think we are on about, well just down stream of the flats as i think its deep there, but 20 yards its shallow and fast flowing

Sean

• 6 months later...

Thanks

sues anglingfor all your fishing in hereford ask for paul 01432 261047