Restraint straps

ayjay

I'm buying a new van to enable me to accommodate all of my wife's disability paraphernalia.

The largest/heaviest item to go in the back will be her mobility scooter which weighs 120kg.

An electronic/magnetic brake is always in effect on the scooters wheels when it's stationary but ideally it will be strapped down when in transit,

If I work on the simplest principle of one strap to tie it down do I just need a strap with a b/s in excess of 120kg or is the maths more complicated under braking at 70mph?

A BS of 120kg means that the strap will break under the load of 120kg acted upon by 1g of gravity. The effect of gravity and the effect of acceleration (positive with the throttle and negative with the brake and side to side with the steering wheel) are equivalent. Normal road tyres without downforce won't produce very much more than 1g of acceleration under braking, even in very high performance vehicles, so I doubt a van will be able to brake hard enough to break 120kg straps. I'd add a bit of a safety margin anyway.

You will get very much higher accelerations in an accident, obviously, so if you want it to stay put if you hit something you will need a rethink.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, I'd predicted to myself that yours would be amongst the earliest responses, I'm not planning any major accidents, (who does? :D)

The van has a full steel bulkhead so if I go for about 200kg b/s as a minimum I think I'll feel comfortable with that.

• Like 1

Yeah, if there's no chance of being smacked in the back of the head by a flying scooter, you should be good. I take it you've thought of a way of securing it so it can't slip out of the strap or be damaged by it?

I wish I hadn't searched eBay for restraint straps! :o

Tie down straps - 25mm webbing - 800kg lashing capacity - working load 400kg - two of those ought to be sufficient.

• Like 1

Yeah, if there's no chance of being smacked in the back of the head by a flying scooter, you should be good. I take it you've thought of a way of securing it so it can't slip out of the strap or be damaged by it?

Not until I'm able to put the two things together. It's complicated: the van dealer made a derisory offer on my car so I'm selling it privately.

This means that I can't take the scooter to the van (in the car) - wait a while for the hoist to be fitted and drive away in the van leaving the car behind.

I'll have to deliver the scooter beforehand and leave it in the van until the hoist fitter has done his stuff when the van will then be delivered by the dealer.

I want to leave the hoist fitter a couple of straps so that he can tie the scooter down before the dealers monkeys are let loose driving it the 120 miles to here.

Once I get everything here I'll be able to make a proper job of it.

Edited by ayjay

Just wondering if you could have something welded in to make it easier to secure?

That's something I'll look into once I've got the van at home.

It already has a few tie-down points but whether or not they're ideally placed I don't know yet.

There's a metal supplier/fabricator place on one of the local industrial estates if needed.

If I remember when mates went motorcycle racing, the danger was a bike coming from the back to the front under sudden braking. If you tie the vehicle close to or attached to the bulkhead it will not move in an accident. Acceleration should not be a problem unless you have a tricked up engine !!

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not