pagham beach/west sussex.

mark bateman

hello all,i have just joined anglers net.i have been a coarse/match angler for many years.also i have done some sea fishing in the past.due to a elderly relative i find myself down at pagham beach most weeks.i have fished here a number of times with some success including a red gurnard and school bass all were returned unharmed.i understand that smoothhounds can be captured off this beach in early summer can any member help me to catch one.i own two 12ft beach casters/abu 6500 cts .my casting at the moment is not great but getting better every time i go.

Hi Mark

Pagham is probably one of the top three beaches in the country for Smoothies - and these are without the hardest fighting fish you can catch from the shore over here.

The fish will start to show soon - but get going at the end of May and into June. Will try and and find out some more specifics for you. The fishing is prolific but I think that being able to cast 80 yds + is an advantage. Only one bait to use and thats Crab, peelers best, hermit second but if they are really running a Hardback will be just as effective. Pulley rigs 30 - 50 lb mono trace and 4/0 - 6/0 Cox and Rawle Uptide Extra.

I can't wait for the run up here - best summer shore fishing there is - where we fish in the Solent though you can get away with carp rods as you are not fishing more than 30yds.

I'll find out some more info and post it due course - I hope this is of some help to you.

Rob

Hello Mark.

I think Rob forgot to mention that after dark is the best time? During darkness they become a tad braver and venture a little nearer to the shore!! A nice peeler should do the trick? Maybe a flowing ledger, with a 4 or5/0 hook? You can use smaller but may be pestered by pouts? Or a nice bass!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Mark

Have just spoken to a mate who fishes there a lot - night tides are the best as Spasor pointed out - with the best fishing over the High Water period - identical to our Solent marks - three hours before and a couple after.

It may pay to get there a little earlier when there are a lot around as it does get very busy.

Rob

:D:D:D:D

Hi Mark,

You and all the other anglers out there who frequent our various smoothound marks might find the following information very usful.

I have drawn up a length to weight ratio sheet with the help of a couple of friends who fish the match circuit. This sheet is how our club and hopefully all the other clubs in the Wessex division will run their matchs with regards to smoothounds. It has been tried and tested by a couple of local clubs and leagues and has proven to be very successful and accurate.I used it on 60 plus smoothounds last year and it is amazing how well it works. If we caught a really big one, we would weigh it on scales that are always ready.

Biggest last year was 19lb 2oz.

As soon as Elton tells me how to get the sheet onto the forum then i will post it here.

All the best, roll on June!

Mad Mike

As