• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Mark Crame

Mark Crame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

I have the plastic thru-hull transducer on my trident. Dimensions are 10cm at the longest bit and 5cm at the widest bit. That's on the bottom of the puck. Can't be exact as it's dark outside and that part of the yak was tricky to get to easily. I'd love to have side-imaging for my freshwater fishing, such a lot of advantages, but for the sea I'm less sure. I still think the charts are neccesary whatever (paper or chip).
Wetter than an otter's pocket.

#22 dizzyfish

dizzyfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Sea fishing, pike fishing, fly fishing... you get the picture !<br />Photography<br />Fossil hunting

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

Got the info back from Humminbird on the through the hull plastic side imaging transducer option for the 797/997. All measurements approximate - 10cm thread, 15cms long, 7cms wide, 3cms thick. Got a picture and annotated it (below) :-

SI_transducer.jpg

Mark - Is this the same size as yours (ooohhhh errr missus !)
Follow Dizzy at http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/

Watch the vids http://www.youtube.c...ser/dizzyfishuk

Please subscribe if you enjoy them.

#23 Mark Crame

Mark Crame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

Mark - Is this the same size as yours (ooohhhh errr missus !)

Doesn't appear to be. Can't remember which part number mine is. Be a tight fit if it fits at all.

#24 dizzyfish

dizzyfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Sea fishing, pike fishing, fly fishing... you get the picture !<br />Photography<br />Fossil hunting

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

Do you think you could find out what the dimenstions of the scupper hole are on the trident ? Also, is it in the middle of the kayak along the keel, or is it to one side ?

#25 Mark Crame

Mark Crame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

Maximum is 14.5cmx9cm, that's at the extreme bottom. Narrows up top to 11.5cm. It ain't gonna fit. Scupper on the Trident is by your right foot.

#26 dizzyfish

dizzyfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

Thanks - I might not matter if it doesn't fit exactly, because in order for the side imaging to work the transducer would have to be below the lowest part of the kayak hull (the keel will block the left hand view of the side imagaing because it is below the transducer). Maybe a rod attached to the transducer stem which could be pulled up in normal operation, so the transducer sits in the transducer scupper hole (as much as it can). Then push the rod back down when using the side imaging. I will let you know more if/when I buy and fit to my dinghy.

Thanks for all your help guys. I will probably be asking more questions about the kayaking later !!!!

#27 prisoner

prisoner

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

Is there any reason why you couldn't or wouldn't want to buy the Humminbird 797 Combo from the USA?
With the good exchange rate it would be about 500 + postage. But i guess you would get stung for export & import duty (and VAT?) so i don't know what the final cost would be?
Any thoughts, cheers,

#28 Mark Crame

Mark Crame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:58 PM

Not only that, it could be confiscated as it wouldn't be CE approved and is therefore illegal to import or use in the UK.

(PS in the UK we give a TWO year warranty AND cover it for use on kayaks. There are other differences too but these I feel are the most important to us).

Regards

Mark Crame
Johnson Outdoors (UK)
Marine Electronics Group

#29 prisoner

prisoner

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for that.
what are the built in maps like on the European model? what is the coverage and what is the resolution?
thanks, P

#30 Mark Crame

Mark Crame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:04 PM

International Versions

1. US warranty is one year on most products (excludes some Smartcast products with six month warranty). Products purchased in the UK will carry a warranty covering the requirements of the British government. This additional warranty period adds cost to the product. (We double this, as TWO years are given with CE units in the UK.)

2. Products purchased from your local dealer will contain menus with your local language and metric measurements. Our international products currently support 21 languages. This also adds development costs to the products.

3. Products purchased from the UK adhere to local/regional LEGAL certification requirements which are not needed in the US and add costs to the development of products. These include CE in Europe and CTick in Australia.

4. Some products have frequency operating requirements which are specific to each country or region. These same frequencies are not legal in the US therefore not sold by US retailers or e-tailers. Using US approved products in the UK may result in fines or legal action as can importation of non-approved units.

5. Shipping of units, Import Duty and Customs charges all add further costs to the product.

Mark Crame
Johnson Outdoors (UK)
Marine Electronics Group