Leadcore: Good or Bad

FaTzy

I used leadcore for most of my carping nowdays and always change if any damaged to it. If it use correctly and there shouldn't be a problem but if not used correcetly as Alan said - In the hands of idiots, it could be lethal.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with leadcore??? I will give you an example.... week before last, the renewal notices for the coming season were sent out. Suddenly all the fairweather men turn up at the lakes. Several of them cracked off..............

Now we have fish towing rigs around the lake, a couple have been landed, both with leadcore (and leads) still atttached.

Lead clips haven't ejected, hook links haven't broken (probably stronger than the mainline anyway).

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

leadcore superb :thumbs:

Leadcore is great, you can use a lower bs hooklink as the leadcores tend to be high bs. then no fish will trail the leadcore in the event of a break as the hook link will be the lowest bs of your tackle - thats what I do anyways. :)

But not if you "crack off" and your mainline breaks above the leadcore.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den

That's when you need to add other rules to prevent crack off's. Maximum lead size and minimum BS mainline for example. Does end up with lots of bans but if that's what's required to protect the fish then that's fine in my book. Or switch to barbless hooks; not a complete solution but generally eliminates the risk of fish trailing tackle.

Rob.

Den

Exactamundo which is why I'm of the opinion it can't be used safely.

Same goes for the leaders Korda are selling now.

I've tried both and don't like either, I always end up back on the Nash 'No Spook' tubing. Thankfully I bought a shed load of it. I use shortish lengths with a sliding backlead stopped in place with float stops. I tighten down to the rig to keep it all nice and flat.

Interestingly I've caught less Carp since experimenting with leadcore and other leaders although I think this was because I became obsessed with presentation.

Any rig that can leave leadcore attached to a hooklink is potentially unsafe. Even if the lead, clips etc are discharged the leadcore is still being towed and for some reason leadcore does seem to tangle around things, even if it doesn't become knotted. I used leadcore for several years thinking my rigs were OK. Cracked off one day and found a fish two weeks later dead in the reeds with my rig still attached. I use inlines most of the time, the lead had come away but the leadcore had still become entangled with the reeds. I've never used leadcore again. The only rig i think could possibly be safe with leadcore is the helicopter rig but even then I'd still have concerns. When the alternatives to leadcore are so good why take the chance????

Any rig that can leave leadcore attached to a hooklink is potentially unsafe. Even if the lead, clips etc are discharged the leadcore is still being towed and for some reason leadcore does seem to tangle around things, even if it doesn't become knotted. I used leadcore for several years thinking my rigs were OK. Cracked off one day and found a fish two weeks later dead in the reeds with my rig still attached. I use inlines most of the time, the lead had come away but the leadcore had still become entangled with the reeds. I've never used leadcore again. The only rig i think could possibly be safe with leadcore is the helicopter rig but even then I'd still have concerns. When the alternatives to leadcore are so good why take the chance????

After reading that i am thiking along the lines not to use leadcore! But i only use the helicopter rigs as the lake i fish mainly has a bit patch of silt!

But if a normal rig cracked of in a fishes mouth it would still be bad so i am still a little confused.

For now i am gonna stick to normal rigs for safety!

To fish or not to fish? That is the question!!!

PB Commom 30lbs (UK)

PB Mirror 27lbs 4oz (UK)

PB Ghost Mirror 15lbs 6oz (UK)

PB Mirror 46lbs 6oz (FRENCH)

why take the chance????

But why take the chance of snapping off when this can be avoided? why litter the water with ejected leads (which dont seem to eject from most "safety clips" most of the time any way)? why think its acceptable to leave just the hook and hooklink etc in the fish?

Most sensible comment I read in this long standing debate is that its not the leadcore thats the problem but the some of the people using it!

But we will keep going round in circles on this one I suppose and as several have said there are even more "idiot proof" ways of acheiving the same result maybe the sensible thing for fisheries managers/club officials/any controlling body is to ban it.But where does this stop?

Much the same ie problems the person using it can be said for a lot of tackle,rigs,methods,baits etc where do we draw the line with banning and start educating? I dont know any more.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

But why take the chance of snapping off when this can be avoided? why litter the water with ejected leads (which dont seem to eject from most "safety clips" most of the time any way)? why think its acceptable to leave just the hook and hooklink etc in the fish?

Most sensible comment I read in this long standing debate is that its not the leadcore thats the problem but the some of the people using it!

But we will keep going round in circles on this one I suppose and as several have said there are even more "idiot proof" ways of acheiving the same result maybe the sensible thing for fisheries managers/club officials/any controlling body is to ban it.But where does this stop?

Much the same ie problems the person using it can be said for a lot of tackle,rigs,methods,baits etc where do we draw the line with banning and start educating? I dont know any more.

I have to say that based upon the posts on this thread, I have modified my point of view. The lead clip issue is one about which I feel quite strongly. I have used both K***a's and F**'s and have had to trim the clip back as they otherwise fit too snugly for my liking.

Yet they're sold as 'safety clips'. Yeah, right.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine