Nice fillet of Barramundi anyone?

Leon Roskilly

'A consignment of 600,000 young barramundi, known as fingerlings, will be imported from Australia and placed in heated tanks in the New Forest'

So the scenario in 10/15 years time will be that we'll all be buying barramundi lures and the EA will be rushing around like headless chickens whilst British Waterways will be electric fishing the canals presumably to preserve the existing stocks of zander :rolleyes:

Don't have a problem with another'alien' species, particularly one as predatory as the barra but the powers that be that sanctioned this exercise must realise that of the 600,000 little possums, some are going to end up in the system.

Has anyone not thought of farming zander or is that too complicated? I could get very used to a deep fried zander fillet and chips on friday night.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

er, Barramundi are a tropical saltwater species.

I wouldn't give them 5 minutes in an English river, or along our cold coasts.

(mind you with global warming coming!!)

Tight Lines - leon

[ 17. September 2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Stripped bass are the ones boys, aparently they could servive hear, they were introduced to parts of the good ol USA in flasks of 1000 eyedover and now are as native.

WHOS UP FOR SMUGERLING SOME OVER?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Some stripers turned up in a trawl net on the German side of the North Sea around 4 years ago :) .

Nothing heard of any more since :(

(They also go way up into freshwater, and are quite happy if they become landlocked).

I used to fish for barras amongst the mangroves in N.Queensland.

Nice eating :-)

Tight Lines - leon

[ 17. September 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

er, Barramundi are a tropical saltwater species.

er, brackish water will do too. Bass are now a fair way up the thames and surviving. In the 80's when I worked for the GLC we were pulling them out of power station filters in very fresh albeit dirty water. Yes I know power stations generate warm water, but they had to get through a good deal of cold water to get there. I think you might find that barramundi have similar survival abilities.

...and then theres global warming........

[ 17. September 2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

Nature has a funny way of serviveing.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam,

I'd like to see your old man's face if he hooked into one of those whilst chucking that bit of fluff about :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

'Juvenile barramundi are highly dependent on estuarine and freshwater habitats. They move from the estuarine areas up into the freshwater habitats to grow ...

www.growfish.com.au/cat_content. asp?contentid=168&catid=121 - 32k - Cached - Similar

pages

Sorry can't get the full link to work, but its in there somewhere.

[ 17. September 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]