Best distance casting multiplier reel

Kieran Hanrahan

Hi all

Looking to make a strategic purchase in the next week or so to improve my casting range off the beaches...

I am currently using a 535 for heavier ground fishing and given the deep water available it is not a problem. It is proving less effective however on shallower venues where the lack of an extra 20 metres is dropping my catch rate and the quality of the fish compared to my fellow anglers.

I am going to put a proper reel seat on the rod and get rid of the coasters but I am not buying a new rod (well not yet ), It is a Penn Vendetta (rather soft tip but a bit of backbone to it) 12.6' rigged for multipliers, what would you recommend as the best reel?

Many thanks

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Difficult to say which is the 'best' because that really comes down to personal choice / application.

I have 7HT, Mag Elite, SL20 and Mag 525. The Mag Elite feels most balanced for me on the rod I use for clean beaches, but it does lack a ratchet (an issue for me) and I am having some problems with the spool engagement (a common fault apparently - easily fixed). However, I am only planning on buying mag 525's from now on simply because they are so versatile (have used them for everything from spinning to heavy rock work). I did find the Mag 525 a bit 'strange' to begin with, but now I just love it :)

Kieran Hanrahan:

Hi all

Looking to make a strategic purchase in the next week or so to improve my casting range off the beaches...

I am currently using a 535 for heavier ground fishing and given the deep water available it is not a problem. It is proving less effective however on shallower venues where the lack of an extra 20 metres is dropping my catch rate and the quality of the fish compared to my fellow anglers.

I am going to put a proper reel seat on the rod and get rid of the coasters but I am not buying a new rod (well not yet ), It is a Penn Vendetta (rather soft tip but a bit of backbone to it) 12.6' rigged for multipliers, what would you recommend as the best reel?

Many thanks

Keep the coasters but use an ABU Elite or Mag Elite, that should give you a few extra yards for starters but a rod that suits you will give you even more distance as most Penn rods are not known for their distance casting. If you've got a spare £40 or so buy a Shakespeare Mentor or a s/hand rod that you feel comfortable with as the right rod will increase distance more than a change of reel. :D

[ 23. July 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Norm B ]

I have just picked up a Century "Carbon Metal" and this, along with a 525 Mag has improved my distance considerably.

A lot depends on picking the right Rod/Reel combo that suits you.

Lots of good reel sugestions so far, all capable of good distances.

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Guest jay_con

i have most of the shore multipliers in my collection. my favourite for clean beaches is the abu 6500. i have an elite, a sports rocket and a mag elite. all are excellent casting reels.

if you want a more versatile reel, with a bit more umph try the 525. but for casting alone the 6500 has the edge.

Nobody has mentioned the 7HT. I have two. I also have a mag elite and the slosh. The 7HT is a more forgiving reel and I can get quite a distance with it, coupled with the Century Kompressor. I really think that the ultimate reson is in the caster himself and I believe that the natural caster can cast a damn sight more than I can with the equipment that I have got.

Enfield North London

For me, out of all the baitcaster reels that I have my favourite 'fishing reel' is the 525 mag, due to the higher retrieve ratio over the ABU 6500 mag. For pure casting distance then either versions of the ABU 6500 or the 7HT.

Depending where you are fishing, go for the lightest line possible - somewhere in the region of 12-18lb - it may also be worth trying clipped down rigs to get that extra few yards.

I have now got used to a Mustad Viking Extreme rod.

The Penn 535s go pretty good on it as long as you don't overfill the spool. I was thinking of trying some extra pads on the brakes!

Never used a 525 but they seem a bit small in capacity to me. One or two break offs and you might have to refill the spool.

I've just brought a Tuff Stick 4-10oz rod back from the Game Fair, but have yet to try it out.

[ 26. July 2004, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net