Salami

ayjay

Chris

I realise they are copies of the European meat sausage but they are made using the same traditional techniques as elsewhere, so I don't think climate is the issue indeed we used to air dry cod for the continental markets as well, which would seem to support the case. What we did have that was not as available elsewhere was fairly abundant sources of fuel so we could smoke foods as well as air dry them.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

probably because it tastes awful to most people ;)

Well you just stick to MRM pies then Rob.

I think I can help with this one its our mild damp climate!

I did wonder about the climate but I'm surprised it wasn't done somehow, if only by choosing the best time of year or maybe a location with a reasonably stable temperature and humidity range.

i'm certainly anti pasta ,whats wrong with maceroni?

................................................................................

salami has some sort of animal in it (not sure what bit) as does black sausage so its food!

I think you've had too many e numbers in your Macaroni Chesters.

Black pudding(?) is made with blood and fat rather than meat, (don't know about black sausage).

Er yes we do cured meats in the UK ;notably Cumbrai so if you fancy a nice piece of UK Salami or chorizo or even UK produced Biltong (one for Kleinbot), then try: http://www.shawmeats.co.uk/

Tony

Thanks Tony, it's a pity the information on their website is a bit scanty though, I'd like to know how much Salami I'm getting for my money, especially with another £6.50 postage on top.

I found this one as well, Suffolk Salami, I will be close to a couple of their outlets next week so I do intend to give them a try.

as for food if it doesn't contain meat in some form it isn't really food. apples ? banana's ? rice ,vegetables are not food but animal food !

:lol::lol: That's spot on chesters.

Eating meats is just an efficient way of obtaining the nutrients contained in otherwise indigestible vegetables. Need acorns? - eat wild boar; Grass nutrients missing from your diet ? - barbecue a T-bone steak; Short on cereal seeds? - roast a partridge.

....and of course grilled perch are just an ergonomically sound method of getting at the trace elements found in earth worms. :rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It's a very interesting question. I could easily waste the afternoon researching it on Google instead of getting any work done. There is a history of salting meat, and of making sausages, and of salting, smoking and drying fish. There was a move after the Black Death towards sheep over pigs, and pigs are particularly associated with preserved meats. Maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe we just don't have a particularly carnivorous culinary history; perhaps peasants in mainland Europe were more likely to have a family pig to preserve?

Er yes we do cured meats in the UK ;notably Cumbrai so if you fancy a nice piece of UK Salami or chorizo or even UK produced Biltong (one for Kleinbot), then try: http://www.shawmeats.co.uk/

Tony

now that is my kind of web site. :P

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

chesters1,

I LOVE YOU. :D

now now calm yourself

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

now that is my kind of web site. :P

Peter this site ain't bad either http://www.sausagelinks.co.uk/index.asp

Perhaps if we asked them Ayjay's original question they might come up with an answer.

and these two links :D are not too bad either; for traditional Brtish style sausages and boerworst (another for Kleinbot):

http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/

http://www.rickythebutcher.co.uk/

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Other people have already answered the question, but I'll repeat it, we have no tradition of cured salami type meats purely due to our climate, our meat eating habits evolved due to what was available and the prevailing climate, certainly there are people making salamis, chorizos etc now, I count myself in that number! but it's due to an exposure to other countries habits rather than anything else.

The real answer - until recent times (thanks internet) the English people had a tradition of disliking food that actually tasted good (or possibly just disliked food with a taste; authorities differ on that point) and salami tastes strong & good.

*grabs coat and runs for cover*

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President