Is Angling for Common Skate as Boreing as Im told?

sam-cox

I realy would like to see a common skate in real life, from the pics Ive seen they are very special fish.

But as for catching one, well I dont know. Ive been tod its like playing tug of war with a very slow tractor for hours.

If thats the case I realy dont fancie it, may as well fish for giant rafts of weed with a carp rod, or large polly bags with an up tider.

I would rather catch smoothounds in shallow water as they are both fast and agile, stripping line from a real at high speed.

But aparently a common skate will strip line so you cant stop it but at the speed of grass growing.

I dont know I supose its a pernole thing but I look at fishing as I do women I would rather have a slim fast woman that a large fat old plodder. :cool:

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest conger tamer

lol i like the cut of your jib me ansome,i too know for a fact that watching grass grow IS more fun.

i also heard that spencer carter sold good skate fishing gear :D:D

seems the replkies are as slow as your skate Davy. LOL

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

sam-cox:

I would rather catch smoothounds in shallow water as they are both fast and agile, stripping line from a real at high speed.

And also one of the many fish Common skate can and do feed on... just ask waymouth Sea life centre about that one :)

so they aint as slow as you seem to think Sam :)

[ 15. August 2005, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Sam, I asked EXACTLY the same question a few years ago...have a read at this mate...

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...t=000930#000000

AND, You could ask all the A.N,ers that have caught one....and, how many have changed there mind....Smoothies...done that, the fight lasted about 2 minutes....ttry 3/4 an hour......I like a decent go, not a Wham bang thankyou mam.....fast women.....Hmmmmmmm

[ 15. August 2005, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Interesting, I heard doggies were used as bait, I suspect they bore the smoothounds to death before slowly eating them.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

The equipment used puts me off, I dout I could even lift it, you guys must have muscles like Garth.LOL

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I was told just the hooks are made from melted down combine harvisters.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.