Fitting RAM mount to a Prowler 13

Jeff S

Sorry! The title is supposed to read Fitting RAM mount to a Prowler 13 :wallbash:

I finally received a few of the things I ordered from Cabelas. Namely a RAM mount rod holder. I found during my last paddle that I needed to create something to help reduce my reach if I was to use the factory threads for the Scotty mount.

2313483690_ae83881293.jpg

This is how I did it:

I bought a large plastic cutting board and cut to size using a skill saw after making a template of the console.

I cut the full length of the cutting board after plotting the layout of the mount base incorporating the template for the console at the other end. After I drilled the holes for the mount I counter-sunk the nuts underneath and cut off the excess thread.

2313477774_f6c910810e.jpg

I then drilled the holes and used a larger counter sink in order to recess the bolt heads. (25mm M6 Bolts) It was necessary to use the counter sink as the thickness of the two cutting boards was more than 25mm.

I took it out to attach but found that if I left it straight I wouldn't be able to use the small tackle box with the new addition. In order to remedy this I used a heat gun and put in an slight angle making the mount almost (but no quite) horizontal to the kayak.

2312668717_cd129705f2.jpg

I effectively reduced my reach by about 18 inches.

2312669771_ea22710038.jpg

It took about an hour to fabricate, and can be removed and attached in about 30 seconds. I can post more detailed pictures if needed but I am afraid I haven't figured out how to post a reduced size photo or make them larger. :camera:

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry! The title is supposed to read Fitting RAM mount to a Prowler 13 :wallbash:

I finally received a few of the things I ordered from Cabelas. Namely a RAM mount rod holder. I found during my last paddle that I needed to create something to help reduce my reach if I was to use the factory threads for the Scotty mount.

2312668717_6b038de6b8_m.jpg

This is how I did it:

I bought a large plastic cutting board and cut to size using a skill saw after making a template of the console.

I cut the full length of the cutting board after plotting the layout of the mount base incorporating the template for the console at the other end. After I drilled the holes for the mount I counter-sunk the nuts underneath and cut off the excess thread.

2313477774_bc3634d290_m.jpg

I then drilled the holes and used a larger counter sink in order to recess the bolt heads. (25mm M6 Bolts) It was necessary to use the counter sink as the thickness of the two cutting boards was more than 25mm.

I took it out to attach but found that if I left it straight I wouldn't be able to use the small tackle box with the new addition. In order to remedy this I used a heat gun and put in an slight angle making the mount almost (but no quite) horizontal to the kayak.

2313486838_1b9daba96f_m.jpg

I effectively reduced my reach by about 18 inches.

2313483690_36cd96e218_m.jpg

It took about an hour to fabricate, and can be removed and attached in about 30 seconds. I can post more detailed pictures if needed but I am afraid I haven't figured out how to post a reduced size photo or make them larger. :camera:

Thats an innovative idea Jeff - very neat. How stiff is it if you don't mind me asking...........

Thats an innovative idea Jeff - very neat. How stiff is it if you don't mind me asking...........

Hi Steve,

I can't say yet. I plan to test it out tomorrow. It hasn't had a rod in the holder but doesn't seem flimsy without. I am hoping that with a bit of tension on it from trolling it might suffice.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Hi Steve,

I can't say yet. I plan to test it out tomorrow. It hasn't had a rod in the holder but doesn't seem flimsy without. I am hoping that with a bit of tension on it from trolling it might suffice.

Nice one mate - you could always brace it from the cup holder if you need to - you won't get much coffee in there ;)

Nice one mate - you could always brace it from the cup holder if you need to - you won't get much coffee in there ;)

Funny that! :thumbs: I was just thinking that myself or alternately I have a larger 'tackle' box coming. If I stack them I can support it that way as well. I like coffee though :(

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

No problem - I've amended it. :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Funny that! :thumbs: I was just thinking that myself or alternately I have a larger 'tackle' box coming. If I stack them I can support it that way as well. I like coffee though :(

Just a thought you could buy a pool noodle Jeff, cut it to apporoximate size and shape to angle set out by mod, you probably need to use the connector piece to pad it out for a tighter fit, that'd be easily removed too..

Edited by essexbuoy

I'm a cheap barsteward :yeah: and because of this I HAVE to buy a pool noodle to plug the scupper holes. 10 quid for scupper stoppers? I think not! :schmoll:

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

I'm a cheap barsteward :yeah: and because of this I HAVE to buy a pool noodle to plug the scupper holes. 10 quid for scupper stoppers? I think not! :schmoll:

I made some from pool noodle for my prowler 13

101-1.jpg

I used the plastic lid of an aerosol can,slightly larger than the scupper hole.Sanded the lid till it was sharp and used it to cut the noodle to size,they work really well but I don't bother with them anymore as I now paddle a Trident ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph