Tope - result of consultation

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically the targeted fishery for tope has been stopped but there will be a 45kg bycatch allowance.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/marine/fisheries/c...tion/fstock.htm

Great news Ian, especially on top of the 5% bycatch rule for spur-dog.

You guys in SOS have worked hard for this and deserve the success.

:)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Ian,

Where has the targeted tope fishery been stopped?

The growing Welsh and Engish Channel fishery.The latter sold their catch in France to avoid hassle at the UK ports

This is a small victory for the sharks and a big victory for common sense

There is no doubt they will go the same way as the spurdog if a precautionary measure isn't put in place

The tope stocks have already reduced by 50 per cent in the last three years

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest challenge
The growing Welsh and Engish Channel fishery.The latter sold their catch in France to avoid hassle at the UK ports

There is no doubt they will go the same way as the spurdog if a precautionary measure isn't put in place

Good, we have had a fisheries bylaw since November 2005 which prohibits the removal of any tope within the north eastern sea fisheries committee’s jurisdictions.

The intention of the bylaw is to protect tope from commercial over-exploitation within the committee’s jurisdiction.

Regards.

Defra have just crossed the threshold and introduced compulsory catch and release without any scientific evidence regarding the affect that anglers have on the species. Now don't get me wrong, I'm I'm not suggesting that anglers should be allowed to kill anything they like, but let's have a look at the realities involved here.

Most anglers who fish specifically for Tope practice catch and release anyway, so the legislation wasn't really needed. Most Tope caught commercially are caught as a bycatch, and they are still going to be caught no matter what legislation Defra put in place. So just how much extra protection are Tope being given? Not very much. Let's see it for what it is. It's a preventative measure just in case someone wants to start up a targetted commercial Tope fishery in the future, and that's good, but lets not get carried away.

Personally, I want a hell of a lot more from my fishing than fish that are supposedly "commercially unimportant" like Tope, Mullet and Flounders, (Defra and Natural England are trying hard to palm us off with these), especially if it involves compulsory catch and release. Please, let's not give Defra the impression that they've "delivered". They've actually done nothing, (in real terms), except place un-necessary restrictions on sea anglers.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Defra have just crossed the threshold and introduced compulsory catch and release without any scientific evidence regarding the affect that anglers have on the species. Now don't get me wrong, I'm I'm not suggesting that anglers should be allowed to kill anything they like, but let's have a look at the realities involved here.

Most anglers who fish specifically for Tope practice catch and release anyway, so the legislation wasn't really needed. Most Tope caught commercially are caught as a bycatch, and they are still going to be caught no matter what legislation Defra put in place. So just how much extra protection are Tope being given? Not very much. Let's see it for what it is. It's a preventative measure just in case someone wants to start up a targetted commercial Tope fishery in the future, and that's good, but lets not get carried away.

Personally, I want a hell of a lot more from my fishing than fish that are supposedly "commercially unimportant" like Tope, Mullet and Flounders, (Defra and Natural England are trying hard to palm us off with these), especially if it involves compulsory catch and release. Please, let's not give Defra the impression that they've "delivered". They've actually done nothing, (in real terms), except place un-necessary restrictions on sea anglers.

Have to agree with you Steve, all they have done is brought in a legislation of restriction for the rsa that was not nessesary in any event. Don't know of any rsa who have taken one home alive. I have heard in the past of guys taking one home that has died, so it hasn't gone to waste. There is still an amount that is as a commercial bycatch, add that up over a week and that is not a bad take.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Ian

QUOTE/ This is a small victory for the sharks and a big victory for common sense

It is, it sounds like the dumb leading the dumber. Giving a top predator protection may lead to yet another DEFRA blunder, there is so many in my area already they need culling.

Still using them as whelk bait and discarding them dead may help however the French catch tons of them they may stop a disaster from happening

Defra have made them into vermin same status as foxes

Tope packs already eat everything in there path if they explode in numbers they will need culling.

This is the most idiotic management decision I have ever heard

It just gos to show what power the GREENS have

steve

Edited by steve good

Hi Ian

QUOTE/ This is a small victory for the sharks and a big victory for common sense

It is, it sounds like the dumb leading the dumber. Giving a top predator protection may lead to yet another DEFRA blunder, there is so many in my area already they need culling.

Still using them as whelk bait and discarding them dead may help however the French catch tons of them they may stop a disaster from happening

Defra have made them into vermin same status as foxes

Tope packs already eat everything in there path if they explode in numbers they will need culling.

This is the most idiotic management decision I have ever heard

It just gos to show what power the GREENS have

steve

Oh dear, since when have defra been more conservation minded then nature itself. If tope are left alone and they florish how can that be a disaster. How can something that is at the top of the food chain be classed as vermin? It takes a lot to get to the top of the pile don't it. It's not that they don't have a high commercial value in the uk is it? Barry, a non-greenie.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

[/quote

Sorry Steve but in my opinion your way of the mark.

This was done by Defra as a precautionary measure to stop the tope going the same way as the spurdog and because they are worth far more to RSA than as a commercial catch. It should be celebrated.

Tope landings have almost doubled in the UK in the last three years and European stocks have halved in the same period and English boats are targeting tope and landing them in France to avoid hassle on the quayside. Defra knows this isn't a perfect solution as the letter I got from Johnathon Shaw yesterday indicates. He writes

I realise that this Order is a unilateral measure and does not apply to other Member States' vessels. However, I believe that the European Shark Plan of Action currently being drafted by the European Commission will provide an opportunity to coordinate management measures such as these and research undertaken by Member States in order to protect vulnerable shark species and I will be working hard with my officials to ensure that it does so

I have come to know a few of the elasmobranches Defra officials over the last three years and i can assure there hearts are in the right place. They couldn't have done any more than they have done with the tope and they will take take the fight to Europe. This is just a start.

Couple that with the recent 5% bycatch limit which has stopped the targeted fishery for spurdog and things are certainly looking rosier than they were 5 years ago.

Hopefully the CPOA will ensure there is a sensible management plan in Europe before the end of the year with protection expected on Porbeagle, Blues, Threshers and tope

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk