Tope - result of consultation

DEFRA were always very good at being seen to do something with out actually doing anything.

Is that you agreeing with me Wurzel? :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ian

I'm pretty sure that the Tope as we know it is not used in shark fin soup, with the amount of chinies restaurants in this country there would be much more effort on tope if it was, plus I once tried to sell a large tope to the local Chinese take away, they laughed and said it was sh#t fish and no good for soap.

Defra have not created Europe’s first recreation only species as the rest of Europe will still be fishing for them and the by catch limit means it will make little difference to most UK fishermen.

DEFRA were always very good at being seen to do something with out actually doing anything.

Although they've made you happy, that’s something I suppose.

I am not naive Wurzel. This is just the beginning

Defra have only made me happy because they are taking the fight to Europe. They have to get their own house in order before they can preach to the Spanish and French.

SOS is going to Belgium again as guests of the Shark Alliance in May and October to press the case for sensible shark management. That's where the main battle has to be won. With UK support this will be easier to achieve

The soupfin shark is the tope. Galeorhinus galeus Apparently its all bullshit as all shark fins tastes of nothing anyway

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

It's the compulsory catch and release for no good reason that bothers me. :)

The alternative would be that anglers were allowed to target tope to kill them but commercials couldn't. That would be even more stupid

In total 360 individuals/groups/organisations (representing I guess many thousands) responded to the consultation of which 10 were commercial and one of those voted for option 2

332 or 92% went for option 2 and only 2 individuals of those 332 wanted to eat a tope, Seems to me it's a compulsory catch and release because that's what people asked for.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Seems to me it's a compulsory catch and release because that's what people asked for.

Or because the options were very limited and loaded towards the result that had already been decided. There were three options. One was do nothing, two was what we have now, and three was no fishing for Tope at all, by anyone. I would hazard a guess that people who responded went for the best of what was available, rather than what they wanted.

It's no big deal really, and in this instance won't make much difference to anglers in grand scheme of things, but we must watch out for this sort of thing in any future consultations. I've said so many times that the time to argue and fight is before the consultation stage, because by the time the consultation starts, the outcome has already been decided and our options will be limited.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Defra have only made me happy because they are taking the fight to Europe. They have to get their own house in order before they can preach to the Spanish and French.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7288315.stm

The spanish might be next, don't know how long it will take though

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

History is being made here. I am agreeing with challenge LOL.

If you forget RSA for a minute, The legislation was brought in as a precautionary approach to protect an officially vulnerable species.

If you google "soupfin shark" another name of tope you will see vast populations have been seriously depleted particularly in New Zealand and the states. There is no doubt as management controls increase on the larger sharks then tope will rise in value and in ten years time we would be looking at ways to rebuild populations.

As tope fishing is my hobby and career i really welcome this bold move by Defra in creating Europes first recreationally only species. Hopefully the Porgie, thresher and blue will follow

Hi Ian

This will not make any differance in my area the French trawl and longline vast amounts of tope right up to our 6 mile limit all this will do is give them the monoply on tope and increase their already swelling bank balances

This is a real crackpot management decision, sounds like a electon is on the cards

LOL,LOL

steve

Edited by steve good

As tope fishing is my hobby and career i really welcome this bold move by Defra in creating Europes first recreationally only species. Hopefully the Porgie, thresher and blue will follow

Hi Ian

Firstly - I applaud the efforts of those who initiated the consultation and respoded in such a resounding manner.

However - I don't think that we should be using phrases like 'Tope are Europe's first RSA only species' because that certainly wasn't Defra's intension

As you are obviously aware; They are not introducing these measures for the benefit of RSA, but for very real conservation reasons.

Catch and release RSA is being tolerated for tope because such a good case was put forward by the anglers and RSA-related businesses who responed :clap2: . Which is in some way a victory, but certainly not a result upon which to rest our laurels or become complacent that Defra are at last on our side and tope will be the first of many RSA only species.

I happen to think that prevention is better than cure in this instance and the combination of catch and release for hook and line and the bycatch limit should be enough to deter anyone from trying to make a quick buck out of angling for tope, although there will probably be some chancer who will try :rolleyes: .

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve pitts

It's no big deal really, and in this instance won't make much difference to anglers in grand scheme of things, but we must watch out for this sort of thing in any future consultations. I've said so many times that the time to argue and fight is before the consultation stage, because by the time the consultation starts, the outcome has already been decided and our options will be limited.

Thing is Steve, the real anglers have no input at that stage. Its those who would rather be on committees than go fishing that get asked rather than those on the ground. Its wrong but its true. Look at the fights we had with Leon trying to get any info at all about the RSA Strategy drafts numbers 1-5. He was tighter than a ducks arse with that info.

Guest challenge

I wonder what the anglers reaction would be if there was a by-law put in place in this part of the world that stated that cod could not be fished for on a commercial level and anglers could only use a catch and release strategies for this fishery. I.e. the same by-law used for tope would be extended to cod. Remembering that our jurisdiction only extends too six miles out?

Regards.

I wonder what the anglers reaction would be if there was a by-law put in place in this part of the world that stated that cod could not be fished for on a commercial level and anglers could only use a catch and release strategies for this fishery. I.e. the same by-law used for tope would be extended to cod. Remembering that our jurisdiction only extends too six miles out?

Regards.

Problem with the tope law that defra announced, in my mind, catch and release by the rsa. I have heard of tope dying, or would not survive for some unfortunate instance. If the thing has died, why can't it be landed.

There is still a significant amount of tope that is to be landed commercially. Appears to be one sided.

Regards your para Challenge, i would say that the sfc would be mental then. What would be the reason to ban fishing for cod commercially and to be released by the rsa. There can only be one in my mind.

Any thought's on gill tagging Challenge.