Longlining for Cod

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...Icelanders.html

In iceland they are talking about a fish on every hook. What is the difference to the uk then.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...Icelanders.html

In iceland they are talking about a fish on every hook. What is the difference to the uk then.

Not a lot by the sound of things Barry.

A bit like saying "you can walk to France on the backs of the cod" and if you spoke to one of the long liners from this area they would tell you they are catching a fish a hook and the quota is totally inadequate in relation to the amount of fish in the sea.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Not a lot by the sound of things Barry.

A bit like saying "you can walk to France on the backs of the cod" and if you spoke to one of the long liners from this area they would tell you they are catching a fish a hook and the quota is totally inadequate in relation to the amount of fish in the sea.

Wish it was true. How come the majority of the reports from the rsa for many many months then is codling and more codling, yet commercially it is called cod. They need to stay there and given a chance to play mothers and fathers.

and previously on these posts longlining in the uk is no good, can't catch any. Has there been a renaissance in longlining since Challenge made his post. Or moving the goal posts to fit the argument.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Wish it was true. How come the majority of the reports from the rsa for many many months then is codling and more codling, yet commercially it is called cod. They need to stay there and given a chance to play mothers and fathers.

and previously on these posts longlining in the uk is no good, can't catch any. Has there been a renaissance in longlining since Challenge made his post. Or moving the goal posts to fit the argument.

Hello Barry

There has always been a fleet of long liners here on the south East coast, with the water the colour of cold tea for the winter it's the best way of catching cod, the catches this year have been boosted by fish of around 3 to 5 lb but there is also a good numbers of 6 to 10 lb fish and know the larger fish have finished spawning there are several fish of 15 to 25lb starting to show.

You are welcome to join us for a couple of days and see for your self Barry.

Hang on a minute.

...quota is totally inadequate in relation to the amount of fish in the sea...

Can we take it from that statement that cod stocks are not in fact irrecoverable, as commercials were saying not long ago as justification for scrapping conservation measures?

How did the Scottish fishermen's leader put it? "Extinction of the cod....is a price worth paying...."

If there are signs that stocks are picking up then that surely suggests that it is time for stricter controls and tighter quotas. I'll believe it's time to relax when I read about anglers CONSISTENTLY catching 20lb cod off Kent beaches like they do in the pictures in my early 70's fishing mags!

It is puzzling how the global warming, or whatever it was that was wiping out the stocks, seems to be decreasing in line with the reduction in commercial cod fishing.

Guest challenge

Barry I strongly suggest that you take up wurzels very fine offer of joining him and see for yourself.

Long lining differs in relation to what you catch and when you catch it immensely on a daily basis throughout the waters of the UK.

They have good weeks and bad weeks with the lines in this part of the world. Theirs not a single boat out of Whitby who can honestly say that they could make a full time living from long lining, there never has been come to that. But there has been many fishermen who have made a fulltime living out of trawling in the past and today and presumable will continue to do so into the future. That’s why they do it Barry.

Regards

Barry I strongly suggest that you take up wurzels very fine offer of joining him and see for yourself.

Long lining differs in relation to what you catch and when you catch it immensely on a daily basis throughout the waters of the UK.

They have good weeks and bad weeks with the lines in this part of the world. Theirs not a single boat out of Whitby who can honestly say that they could make a full time living from long lining, there never has been come to that. But there has been many fishermen who have made a fulltime living out of trawling in the past and today and presumable will continue to do so into the future. That’s why they do it Barry.

Regards

Right then, it's confused barry again, Iceland say that the longliners are catching one a hook, you are saying that longlining never has paid and it ain't any good. Wurzel is saying that it is very good and the fish are there being both plentyful and also a very good mixture of size class.

Also you state that the trawlers make a full time living, how is that when the state of the cod stock has been on a knife edge according to defra and the scientists. Has it now all turned around and we can all look forward to lots of twenty pounders then as someone else has intimated.

One other question Challenge re: accountability, whats your take on gill tagging, for you know what. :):D

Wurzel, i would be more than happy to crew for you for a day or so, i would even make the tea. Weekends are good but i could also nick a friday if it was any use. Thank you.

Right then, it's confused barry again, Iceland say that the longliners are catching one a hook, you are saying that longlining never has paid and it ain't any good. Wurzel is saying that it is very good and the fish are there being both plentyful and also a very good mixture of size class.

Also you state that the trawlers make a full time living, how is that when the state of the cod stock has been on a knife edge according to defra and the scientists. Has it now all turned around and we can all look forward to lots of twenty pounders then as someone else has intimated.

One other question Challenge re: accountability, whats your take on gill tagging, for you know what. :):D

Wurzel, i would be more than happy to crew for you for a day or so, i would even make the tea. Weekends are good but i could also nick a friday if it was any use. Thank you.

Hello confused Barry

Challenge never said long lining never paid or is no good, just that a trawler especially a bigger trawler are more consistent earners, trawlers don't always rely on just cod the bulk of their catch can sometimes be made up of whiting and haddock even turning to prawns or flat fish some thing liners can't, there are other fish in the sea other than bloody cod!

Challenge was referring to Whitby, in this area where there are no local large trawlers and lining is more effective than trawling for cod with a small boat, some will revert back to trawling sole during the summer others will be netting or potting, some all three you need to be versatile to make a small inshore boat pay.

Fishermen have always said there are more and bigger cod than the scientists claim, scientists (ices) now admit that their methods of collecting data were flawed, their sampling trawls rarely caught cod over 3 years old but more resent trails in 07 using commercial trawlers with skippers that knew what they were doing showed many more and more larger cod confirming what the fishermen have been saying all along.

Before any one starts claiming I 'm saying cod stocks are as good as ever, I'm not! I'm saying there are more cod than the scientist say there are, always have done , now they have been boosted by a couple of better year classes due to a couple of colder winters 04 and 05 the first for over 10 years if it doesn't happen again for another 10 years or more you won't be getting many 20 ponders from the Kent beaches no matter what restrictions are put on the commercial fleet especially with the fleet as it is now.

You would be welcome to come aboard any time it suits you Barry as any one is, we work weekends weather permiting, pm me for details

Before any one starts claiming I 'm saying cod stocks are as good as ever, I'm not! I'm saying there are more cod than the scientist say there are, always have done ...

All that shows is that random sampling doesn't work when the stocks are very low, because as Dick Walker said, fish are not evenly spread like currants in a cake. If there are say 10% of the stocks there should be and not the 5% the scientists find, it's not a good reason to start increasing quotas.

Guest challenge

I have no take on gill tagging of you know what, simply because I don’t know what you are talking about.

Please explain or post a link and then I will respond.

Regards