remote control of computer

The Flying Tench

I had a problem with AVG and googled their customer service phone number. I wasn't careful enough and ended up talking to some people called GuruAid who I assumed did the free service on behalf of AVG, but turned out to be a scam trying to sell me their own service for a fee. In the course of this I gave them remote access to my computer, which was part of their sell - the guy took me round the computer telling me all the jobs that needed doing. I have since googled them and discovered this is their standard approach.

My question is this: am I at risk having given them remote access to my computer? Can I do anything to reduce this risk, if it's there?

Thanks

john clarke

Andy,

I had this happen also. While you are on the phone they have you authorize them to "look" at your computer. As I remember you have to tap "OK" a couple times.

Mine was from a company that was authorized by the computer seller. It cost me $250 for a three year contract. They really did do a good jobs of whatever it was they were doing. Never had any problems. They did say NEVER let anyone you don't know take control.

Phone

Yes, it was the same as Phone. I don't know what software they used. I don't recall me having to download anything as such. But an icon appeared on the screen when they were looking, so my hope is that now the icon has gone they cannot now see my computer?

john clarke

Depends, knowing how they acheived remote control would help a lot.

Im guessing this was perhaps authorised via the browser maybe using a plugin because as far as im aware the browser alone wouldnt have that functionality as standard (id hazard a good guess).

did they ask you to go to a specific URL (still got it ?)

did the site request to install a plugin

what plugin did it install if you know

what browser were you using

A browser plugin will only be running at the time the browser is running and they may only be able to connect to you that way if they are dodgy scammers with a dodgy plugin.

The million dollar question though is did they install any files without you knowing for further mischief while they had remote access.

its really hard to know what the score is without knowing all the above. did they fix the problem ?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

shoulda had a look earlier at this gurruaid, they use logmein and GuruAid Connect. check if they are installed, if so uninstall them and hope they didnt install something dodgy via gurruaid connect what ever that is. Logmein is legit 3rd party software they are using. if memory serves they cant just upload a file from "gurruaid" to "your pc" without logmein saying they are installing/transfering files.

so long as any of those softwares are running they shouldnt be able to connect, guruaid connect I cant say for sure :(

Thanks, Andy. No, neither of those is installed on my computer, so I guess it's safe?

Hard to say, I could take remote control of your computer and check, for a fee. I jest of course :lol:

having a look around the net there are complaints about their dubious tactics for getting customers but there appears to be no complaints of them taking over computers at will after they have done what they were supposed to.

For what its worth when im helping people using remote access I use software called TeamViewer (Stand alone/portable version - the software is just one executable that is not installed to program files) you launch the exe and it gives you a UserID and a password both of which you give to me to connect to you. You will recieve a connection request. accept or reject.

You close the software and the connection is cut. I wouldnt be able to connect again until you open the exe again but... and heres the good bit... the password is completly different so I still cant connect unles you give me the new password. The userID doesnt change but you can change it if you like at any time.

The software has some preferences to limit what someone accessing your computer remotely can do. so you can prevent them from transfering files from their computer to yours. They would need to have a very good reason for doing so, in some cases it is needed to fix some computer problems like drivers or antivirus, it's a trust issue, for me anyway.

Always download the software from the software manufacturers website, no compromise, it might not be the software you are expecting.

TeamViewer (The best in my experience and opinion, fast and simple) http://www.teamviewer.com/en/

LogMeIn (bloated, slow, and sometimes overly complicated) https://secure.logmein.com/uk/