Two Different Stories

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting reading and something I have been observing too. I don't want to get into all those boring arguments with the commercial delegates on the forum, but is this not monopolisation of the fishing industry by the big boys ?

This years increase in cod quota (for some) comes at the expense of the small timers ? In turn those small timers get annoyed and instead of fighting back, decide to fight the anglers ?

Interesting reading and something I have been observing too. I don't want to get into all those boring arguments with the commercial delegates on the forum, but is this not monopolisation of the fishing industry by the big boys ?

This years increase in cod quota (for some) comes at the expense of the small timers ? In turn those small timers get annoyed and instead of fighting back, decide to fight the anglers ?

Hello Glenn

It's the same for any industry during a recession the fat cats get fatter while the rest fall by the wayside.

The only fighting the inshore small timers are doing against anglers is in self-defence.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Glenn

It's the same for any industry during a recession the fat cats get fatter while the rest fall by the wayside.

The only fighting the inshore small timers are doing against anglers is in self-defence.

No Peter its human nature. I believe fully the same situation would arise if you under 10 guys had never even heard of sea anglers before. Its human nature to strike at the same level or on the underdogs rather than those fat cats. To be honest you would be better off striking higher up. Even if you were to get anything out of self defence - it wouldnt be a lot now would it. If you were able to catch the fish anglers caught I dont think you would become a rich man :) With my catch rate you would be bankrupt by Summer :lol:

Edited by glennk

Its human nature to strike at the same level or on the underdogs rather than those fat cats.

Hello Glenn

Maybe we should all aim a little higher. Regardless of who's caught what, and how, the ultimate responsibility for the fishery lies with Defra. They were tasked with looking after it, and they've done a terrible job. They must be laughing their cods off, watching RSA's and commercials slugging it out over what they have done.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

If I was a conservation minded commercial fisherman like yourself Peter I would be very angry with MAFF & now Defra for alowing this situation to happen.

As I have said before in order to do better for themselves and theirfamilies fishermen have to catch more fish, who would blame a man for trying to better himself finantually?

The way I see it is that its DEFRAs fault for grossly miss managing our fishery. Its not imposable to manage a fishery, just look at Norway and Iceland. Its the CFP that we need to pull out of, then send our war ships to deffend our boarders. Sound daft doesnt it, but it would work.

RSA aint going to get anywhere against until they realise that not all commercials are greedy granny flogging buggers and that DEFRA and the govenments atitudfe to the EU are the bad guys in this.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

If I was a conservation minded commercial fisherman like yourself Peter I would be very angry with MAFF & now Defra for alowing this situation to happen.

As I have said before in order to do better for themselves and theirfamilies fishermen have to catch more fish, who would blame a man for trying to better himself finantually?

The way I see it is that its DEFRAs fault for grossly miss managing our fishery. Its not imposable to manage a fishery, just look at Norway and Iceland. Its the CFP that we need to pull out of, then send our war ships to deffend our boarders. Sound daft doesnt it, but it would work.

RSA aint going to get anywhere against until they realise that not all commercials are greedy granny flogging buggers and that DEFRA and the govenments atitudfe to the EU are the bad guys in this.

Don't hear the arm chair commercials moaning about quota, the ones that sell and lease it. They have a part to play in the share out. There are the line caught sw association that appears to have cracked it and indicate they are an expanding industry.

The scottish sector are having record landings, how come they have quota and the under tens and the rsa are left with the crumbs. What about the nffo, could they not do some thing for the under tens. Sounds like a dog eat dog industry.

Hope the last bit of one of Leon's links is not true where the eastern europeons are being hired for the minimum wage and being forced to pay for board and lodgings aboard. Dog eat dog?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Don't hear the arm chair commercials moaning about quota, the ones that sell and lease it. They have a part to play in the share out. There are the line caught sw association that appears to have cracked it and indicate they are an expanding industry.

The scottish sector are having record landings, how come they have quota and the under tens and the rsa are left with the crumbs. What about the nffo, could they not do some thing for the under tens. Sounds like a dog eat dog industry.

I did hear that netted fish were being sold as line caught, dont know how true this is.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

Hope the last bit of one of Leon's links is not true where the eastern europeons are being hired for the minimum wage and being forced to pay for board and lodgings aboard. Dog eat dog?

Hello Barry

The arm chair pirates are doing very nicely and no doubt if the under tens are forced into buying or leasing quota they will do even better as demand increases like any other commodity the price will go up.

The Scottish record landings consist mainly of haddock and nephrops (prawns) along with the pelagic sector which has been doing very well, cod feature pretty low on landing records.

Further south we don't have a haddock fishery or a nephrop fishery and a under ten can't carry a hundred tons of herring or mackerel.

The NNFO are mainly influenced by the big boys and I have not seen any inclination by them to get involved with the under ten problems, I doubt many of their members would willingly donate any quota.

I don't know how you fit RSA into the equation? not yet any way.

Eastern Europeans are being employed more and more, I don't know about minimum wages, wages are normally worked out on a share basis but I guess with rising costs a lot of crew could be considered to be on minimum wage. In some cases living aboard does happen on the bigger boats and no doubt some owners will charge for it whether Eastern European or not and no doubt some will take advantage of work hungry Europeans, it's a dog eat dog world and not confined to the fishing industry.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Barry

The arm chair pirates are doing very nicely and no doubt if the under tens are forced into buying or leasing quota they will do even better as demand increases like any other commodity the price will go up.

The Scottish record landings consist mainly of haddock and nephrops (prawns) along with the pelagic sector which has been doing very well, cod feature pretty low on landing records.

Further south we don't have a haddock fishery or a nephrop fishery and a under ten can't carry a hundred tons of herring or mackerel.

The NNFO are mainly influenced by the big boys and I have not seen any inclination by them to get involved with the under ten problems, I doubt many of their members would willingly donate any quota.

I don't know how you fit RSA into the equation? not yet any way.

Eastern Europeans are being employed more and more, I don't know about minimum wages, wages are normally worked out on a share basis but I guess with rising costs a lot of crew could be considered to be on minimum wage. In some cases living aboard does happen on the bigger boats and no doubt some owners will charge for it whether Eastern European or not and no doubt some will take advantage of work hungry Europeans, it's a dog eat dog world and not confined to the fishing industry.

Good morning Wurzel, Can't see the under tens getting into quota buying and selling as the pirates have it all in any event. (good word that)

Don't you remember the struggling prawn fisherman last year who put himself on the news as he couldn't catch any prawn, 99% fish in his trawl, wonder how he is getting on now, he must have found some.

I agree with you that the nffo are secular and do not represent the fishing industry, apart from 25% give or take, that is. So why are they invited to brussels, why not an under ten delegation that make up the majority of the industry, seems fair to me.

Unfortunatly the under tens and the rsa are at the bottom of the pile, when it comes to the share out of the stock that is.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..