Big bream

Anderoo

This "more feed than most" is this a similar approach to the one the multi catchless Anderoo uses? Lots of spods but no food i think he calls it.

IMO it could well be why he seems to have fish in his swim that haven't got their heads down picking up his hook bait and why they seem very spooky. It could also account for all them line bites he gets, as they root and trying to find something to eat.

Sorry Anderoo just trying to be constructive. :)

I'll try to be constructive as well then!

They are always very spooky. What I try to do is make them less spooky by getting them feeding, rather than picking one up on their way somewhere, as I've described before. If you have a group of these fish feeding on your bait, you will get liners, it is inevitable, because they are digging around for food.

I don't always do the same thing, in some swims and some conditions I go for very light baiting and try for a single pick-up, but if conditions are right and the swim suits it, why intentionally limit yourself to one fish?

I'm not worried that I haven't had a muliple catch yet. As far as I know only two people have ever managed it, and I know I've come very close twice. It may well never happen, but you have to try don't you?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that has surprised me.

It surprises me that you find it surprising Budgie, as i thought I'd said before that I'm no fan of filling it in.

I've never been into match fishing much, but one or two of the lads i fish with live for it and my understanding is that in most matches the they feed to the bites. Either with a feeder or by taking a "who dares wins" approach and putting small balls on their heads. But what ever way they choose to feed, it would be rare to try and ball loads in to start off with, not till they knew they had bream there anyway. Or am i wrong?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

It surprises me that you find it surprising Budgie, as i thought I'd said before that I'm no fan of filling it in.

I've never been into match fishing much, but one or two of the lads i fish with live for it and my understanding is that in most matches the they feed to the bites. Either with a feeder or by taking a "who dares wins" approach and putting small balls on their heads. But what ever way they choose to feed, it would be rare to try and ball loads in to start off with, not till they knew they had bream there anyway. Or am i wrong?

From a big fish point of view I would ensure I had the location right before "balling in" but when in a match you don't have this luxury.However the German rivers would quite often have bream along the entire match length or I would know that there was a good chance of them being present due to practising on the stretch prior to the match. Mind you that said even on some matches in the UK you would know that the winning weight would be made with bream and no matter what you did snatching other species you wouldn't be in with a chance of an over all win so "sh1t or bust" was often the approach (well for individual matches any way)!

I see what your mates are saying but a big difference in making the best of your peg and going full out for a win in a match you know will be bream dominated.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'll try to be constructive as well then!

They are always very spooky. What I try to do is make them less spooky by getting them feeding, rather than picking one up on their way somewhere, as I've described before. If you have a group of these fish feeding on your bait, you will get liners, it is inevitable, because they are digging around for food.

I don't always do the same thing, in some swims and some conditions I go for very light baiting and try for a single pick-up, but if conditions are right and the swim suits it, why intentionally limit yourself to one fish?

I'm not worried that I haven't had a muliple catch yet. As far as I know only two people have ever managed it, and I know I've come very close twice. It may well never happen, but you have to try don't you?

Given that most of your bream fishing has been done at a LSD water Anderoo, I think i can see why you would think bream are "always very spooky". Because the bream you are fishing for aren't in large shoals and you are fishing a LSD water, you are always going to find it harder to get them feeding confidently and it probably isn't possible to the same degree as on waters with higher stock levels.

But IMO from fishing other waters getting bream to feed needs some food and not just the smell of it. Ive done a lot of playing around with not feeding much food and at the end of it i still have to say, If you want them to feed confidently so you have a chance of picking them off and not just catching one, you've got to give them something to feed confidently on.

Ive no idea how you are feeding Anderoo and was just going off what you had been writing. Which gave me the idea you were spreading out smelly ground bait with no real food there at all. Which in turn for me would go a long way to explaining why you think bream are always spooky, why you've not been lucky with multiple catches and why you get so many line bites.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Given that most of your bream fishing has been done at a LSD water Anderoo, I think i can see why you would think bream are "always very spooky". Because the bream you are fishing for aren't in large shoals and you are fishing a LSD water, you are always going to find it harder to get them feeding confidently and it probably isn't possible to the same degree as on waters with higher stock levels.

But IMO from fishing other waters getting bream to feed needs some food and not just the smell of it. Ive done a lot of playing around with not feeding much food and at the end of it i still have to say, If you want them to feed confidently so you have a chance of picking them off and not just catching one, you've got to give them something to feed confidently on.

Ive no idea how you are feeding Anderoo and was just going off what you had been writing. Which gave me the idea you were spreading out smelly ground bait with no real food there at all. Which in turn for me would go a long way to explaining why you think bream are always spooky, why you've not been lucky with multiple catches and why you get so many line bites.

Cheers Lutra. Yes, I probably haven't been very clear. What I meant before was that the Wingham bream are always spooky, not bream in general. I did some fishing for gravel pit shoal bream (average 5lbish) last summer, and they certainly weren't spooky! Plenty of sloppy pellets and crushed boilies (i.e. all baiting was proper food, not attraction) was needed to keep them in the swim, and once they'd gone, a load more spods brought them back in. You could see them following the oil slick up the lake to the baited spot, rolling as they went.

When I put plenty of bait in at Wingham, it's in the ratio of about 3/4 groundbait and other attraction, e.g. types of pellet that break down completely, and 1/4 food, e.g. corn, mini boilies (whole and crushed), maggots/casters, other pellets that don't break down completely.

I don't think I get any more line bites than anyone else. I know that Alex has said the same thing, that when these fish are feeding on the bait, you get the little lifts as they dig around. In any case I'm happy to have them, as so far (admittedly a very small sample size!) each time I've had them I then catch a bream. I haven't had them before and not caught.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

These 'small liners' are also mentioned here just before a big bream was caught: http://news.bfhosting.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/n...;site=mjfishing

Just at dawn his left hand alarm sounded three bleeps over a minute period, then the bobbin slowly crawled towards the butt ring.

Has no-one else noticed these single beeps and tiny lifts before catching bream?

These 'small liners' are also mentioned here just before a big bream was caught: http://news.bfhosting.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/n...;site=mjfishing

Has no-one else noticed these single beeps and tiny lifts before catching bream?

Yes pretty standard with all sizes of bream on all waters on most rigs.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes pretty standard with all sizes of bream on all waters on most rigs.

Thanks Budgie, I thought so.

Rob, I totally agree, if the rules were different I would definitely use one now for the baiting up - and I never thought I'd say that!

I've now rescued my 2004 diary from the cellar. Good job too as my memory was wrong! It just goes to show the value of writing everything down.

Here's the results, including an accidental daytime capture in 2003. That was quite a trip with 11 tench and a very hard-fighting 3-04 perch that thought it was a tinca!

As well as the bait I've also included the moon phase and whether the fish came on the first or second night. All the fish came in the early hours, except for the first that came at 06.30 - this was in the days before I started night fishing.

19/06/03 - 2 days before last quarter - early morning - 13-14 - lobworm/pineapple flavoured corn

26/05/04 - 1 day before first quarter - 2nd night - 14-00 - lobworm/pineapple flavoured corn

04/06/04 - 1 day after first quarter - 2nd night - 15-02 - dendra/Perch Magic flavoured maggot

19/06/04 - 2 days after last quarter - 2nd night - 11-10 - dendra/Perch Magic flavoured maggot

30/09/04 - 2 days after last quarter - 1st night - 15-07 - Perch Magic flavoured corn

06/10/04 - 3 days after last quarter - 1st night - 14-15 - Perch magic flavoured corn

To my surprise (but not Budgie's I suspect) none came around full moon, or indeed new moon. This was despite going fishing regardless of the phase of the moon. However it's a very small sample size. It might be worth others checking and posting their results. I got the moon phases from http://www.life-cycles-destiny.com/dw/20012010.htm.

Don't read anything though into no captures in July or August. Because of my health I can't stand the heat and so have a kind of closed season then. However, now the trees have grown up there are a few shady swims I want to fish again if it's not too hot.

The first bream came from Right Disabled (swim 1), the second from Back Bay Corner (swim 32), the others from the same pinch point fished from either The Point (swim 42) or Brambles (swim 43).

All except the accidental one came within 15 feet, yes feet, of the bank. That might explain why I had no multiple catches as the bream would have been spooked. On my last trip I fished the pinch point from Right Canadian (swim 44) and will do so in the future. One thing that may be important is that I've never done well there when anyone was fishing either of the Big Island swims (46 or 47).

In fact this pinch point is the area I've fished the most. Interestingly I've had no bream from it (or anywhere else for that matter) since 2004 in perhaps 40 nights. I've also only once ever had line bites there since. That suggests to me that the bream aren't resident in the area, even if they were in 2004, or more likely that they're rovers. But as usual we have too little data to go on.

I'll be analysing my diaries in more detail when I have some time. In particular I want to have a look at how much I fed.

Steve - something just occurred to me about this. Could it be that you haven't had bream from that spot again because you're fishing it from a different angle, the lines in the water cutting off the baited spot?

There may be nothing in it, but I've always wondered why such a productive area suddenly died like that. Previous ideas such as the salt in the groundbait, the fish simply moving out of that area, or them being nervous of a spot so many were caught from, kind of make sense, but there's still something nagging me about it, and I can't put my finger on it.

It's fairly well accepted that lines through the water do stop species such as carp and bream going where they had intended to go...

Edited by Anderoo