where to camp in Wales for pike?

mrminibus

It's my dads 60th this year & My dad me & my brother would like to go Pike fishing in North Wales camping, can any one tell us where is a good spot to camp/fish we would like to pitch the tents next to the water to maybe do a spot of night fishing, we don't want anything commercial we would just like a quiet water which is either free or at little cost, We seem to be going round in circles looking for a venue, please help if you can.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bala Lake has Camping and Pike.

Hi there, thanks for you reply

Lake Bala is it good for pike fishing?

I have made some calls it's

£6 per week to fish

£21 for 4 days to camp in total for 3-campsite called glen sen (I think) 300 yrds from the water

£7 each for a rod licence

Thats £20 each

this seems pretty good although we would like to bivvy on the water do you know where it's possible on Bala?

you are not allowed to set closed shelters on the shores of bala (well the public areas anyway) some farms offer camping and fishing as do a few campsites

Listen please bala is a water where you really need to think about what your doing heavy line is a must along with heavy wire (if you fish the glacial waters im sorry for preaching) a minimum of 15lb mono 20 would be better as you can be fishing through large boulders fish leads so they break away easily if they get snagged

• 2 weeks later...
you are not allowed to set closed shelters on the shores of bala (well the public areas anyway) some farms offer camping and fishing as do a few campsites

Listen please bala is a water where you really need to think about what your doing heavy line is a must along with heavy wire (if you fish the glacial waters im sorry for preaching) a minimum of 15lb mono 20 would be better as you can be fishing through large boulders fish leads so they break away easily if they get snagged

We are pike fisherman of yesteryear when not many people wanted to fish for them about 30 years back....

Bala looks very nice but we really want somewhere smaller where we can book before we go to pitch the bivvis next to the water for night fishing...

Don't get me wrong Bala will do if we can't get smaller.... anyone any ideas of any that would suit us more?

Alright mate,

I live in Wrexham in north wales and although i dont usually target pike when i go fishing i can give you info on a few venues where i know they are in good numbers but maybe not in huge size.

I fish a water situated within a public park called acton park in wrexham which has been netted recently and found to have a good head of fish between 4 and 8 pounds and other pike up to 20lb if your more experienced and know where they might be. the drawbacks being that your only 1 mile from the town centre and so there is alot of early morning dog walkers and kids that might ask you the usual "what have you caught" sort of questions. this water is free but has retained the closed season and so can only be fished from 16th june onwards ( il be there for the big bream!)

theres a farmers field pond 2 miles from the town centre that i can give you directions to, its known as "the pike pond" but i think only for the large number of jacks that can be caught easily with lures in the margins. theres possibly a few bigger fish though.

otherwise if it was after the 16th june i would definately recommend trying the free stretch at farndon on the river dee which is free up to the bypass bridge, a good mile of free water containing fish to over 20lb and maybe bigger.

If your looking for waters further into wales then im not sure i can help as i usually head into cheshire rather than further into wales for coarse fishing.

if you would like any further info though il be happy to help :)

cheers!

Rich

theres a farmers field pond 2 miles from the town centre that i can give you directions to, its known as "the pike pond" but i think only for the large number of jacks that can be caught easily with lures in the margins. theres possibly a few bigger fish though.

If your looking for waters further into wales then im not sure i can help as i usually head into cheshire rather than further into wales for coarse fishing.

if you would like any further info though il be happy to help :)

cheers!

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for the reply...

Wrexham would do just fine but we are going on the 25th of may this farmers fiels sounds good tho, can I fish it in late may? if so can I have some more details?...

Hi sorry about the delayed reply.

The lake is just outside of a village called cefn-y-bedd about 3 miles from wrexham and on this map it can be seen just behind the word "sydallt"

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|wrex...les,%20LL13%208

the road side has a steep bank and might not be ideal for camping, but the other side is flatter and probably the best side for fishing from anyway. I would avoid this venue if your planning to fish during school half term as it can get popular with kids.

further into wales and iv heard that llyn y gors on anglesey is good, also there are some lakes on the denbigh moors that have big pike, im not sure about the camping rules though but these would be in very scenic locations i presume.

What size lake and what location in wales are you looking for ideally?