A Night On The Beach Aldeburgh - Suffolk.

dant

Went out last night to blow a few cobwebs out of the system and chase a few of the Spring Codling we periodically get off the beaches round these parts..

I chose to fish a spot thats been fairly consistent this year and one of the only places that has. The main problem is that the better spots and deeper water are at least a good mile and a half from the parking spot and thats over and along a high, deep shingle bank which is an absolute killer to walk on as anyone who has done similar could vouch.

The place I'm talking about is Alderbugh's 'Dirty Wall' stretch and when I say deeper water it's about 20-30ft at 100 yards which in Norfolk and Suffolk terms might as well be the Marinas Trench.

Anyways I arrived towards the tail end of dusk and hoofed it along the harder sand that the Ebb had revealed, in doing so I knew it wasn't going to be there on the way back and I was in for a shingle slog.

Got fishing by around about 8.15-8.30pm. What happened next was straight out of the Carry On Up The Cod Fishing handbook.

The first rod out started nodding then went beserk at last after three months a proper textbook Cod bite, the tripod which I hadn't pushed into the shingle enough in a hast to get at my oxtail soup then started to fall forward at which point I lunged at the rod, grabbed it then lost my footing on the steep shingle, fell backwards with the rod in one hand, spilling said soup all over my front, the fall had wrenched the rod back trapping the line behind the tripod causing the dreaded ping.

At this point I'm flat on my back covered in soup with the line hanging from the reel, the other rod on the stones and the tripod poleaxed. After turning the air blue and having a bit of a laugh. I jumped up, picked up the other rod hauled it in and though bugger it, I'm going to have a go at snagging that line as I'm pretty sure there'll probably still be something on the other end.

Talk about lucky B-----D, first ding out, 'oh hello whats this', after some solid resistance I beached the snapped off rig (1 of the hooks had hitched onto the lead swivel - jammy) and a lovely Spring Codling of around 2-2 1/2lb's. after a couple of 'you beauty's' I restored some order to the set-up.

What followed for the next three hours was a pure joy. It was non stop at one point there was a fish on both rods and some real clonking bites too.

By 11 p.m I'd had 7 Springers from around 2lb's to 4 1/2 and had missed half a dozen real stinking bites.

I could of packed up then but what the hell I stayed on till 2.30 and picked up a few smaller Codling and a couple of keeper Whiting. I had said to myself that I'd stay till the top of the tide or until the crescent moon disappeared, gotta stick to a plan.

Excellent Fun on a lovely night.

Heres a pic of the results. 7 Springers, 2 Whiting for a total weight of 19lb 4oz's gutted weight.

post-11042-1207920235_thumb.jpg

Nice one dant, good report. You're lucky there wasn't anyone else about to cop the p%ss at your misfortune. I bet the spoilt soup was forgotten when you started hauling fish? :D

Tight lines.

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

Nice one dant, good report. You're lucky there wasn't anyone else about to cop the p%ss at your misfortune. I bet the spoilt soup was forgotten when you started hauling fish? :D

Tight lines.

squibs

Cheers Squibs.

To be honest I had a bit of laugh about it myself. I shouldn't think there was anyone in a 2 mile radius out there.

It was non-stop for around 3 hours I didn't have time to try out another cup till around 10'ish. It was one of those sessions off the beach that make up for feeding the crabs for the previous few months.

Where abouts in Norfolk are you based Squibs, somewhere up North if that pictures where I think it is, is that Sheringham, round the corner at the Runton's or somewhere completely different...

Edited by dant

Good report mate :clap2:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Nice one, Dant.

Were you using lugworm?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Dant.

I'm from Wymondham. So I have to travel to fish, well from the beach anyway. I normally fish Cromer and Salthouse areas when I can get the chance. Going to Sheringham and Runton this year and see if I can increase my tally of Bass. I saw a flash of flank, three breakers out between the groins. Smells of Bass to me.

The photo was taken at Durdle door in Dorset. I had the stone arch to my left and as you can see, i was looking up the beach. I try to get down that way every year with the tribe, so my gear comes with me. I had a cracking session at Warbarrow bay last year. The rod tip rattles more than you will ever see in Norfolk, so it's a bit of a dream to me.

Tight lines

squibs

Edited by squibs
Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?