Bringing Skate Bodies Ashore

Elton

Before Mr. Holt reads this and sends down the execution squad, I'm referring to thornback rays! :D

I was having a conversation today with somebody about skate wings and how there's a theory that if you don't kill a skate quickly, something happens to turn the meat funny. They then told me how their son always used to cut them off at sea, as you're not allowed to bring skate bodies ashore, or at least weren't a few years ago.

Is there any truth in this?

The reason given was that the female skate's genitalia may cause offence!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Mr. Holt reads this and sends down the execution squad, I'm referring to thornback rays! :D

I was having a conversation today with somebody about skate wings and how there's a theory that if you don't kill a skate quickly, something happens to turn the meat funny. They then told me how their son always used to cut them off at sea, as you're not allowed to bring skate bodies ashore, or at least weren't a few years ago.

Is there any truth in this?

The reason given was that the female skate's genitalia may cause offence!

Hi Elton, I havent heard of this "winging at sea law" before, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was in fact the case, mibbes an older Victorian law...:)

I have heard about some sort of acid getting into the wings, BUT, my mate once kept a Thorny, and it was next day that the local fishmonger did the biz on it, and I cooked it, it was fine... :D

I do have some real old pics of Common Skate wings lining the pier in Oban...which would point to them being "winged" at sea, but that would probobly be to save space in the hold!! :)

The "Bits" on a Common, are downright rude mate..:) makes me blush thinking about them, so, I'll not think about them.. :P :P

This was scanned from an old book of the 20's, where the writer talks about getting them "winged" before returning to shore...also, for your perusal...its "bits"...

skatebits.jpg

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

My old fishing book says that thornbacks must be butchered immediately if the flesh is not to be spoiled, but suggests:

"Slit the gill clefts with a sharp knife, cutting right through to the other side of the body. Gut the fish by running a knife point around the abdominal cavity and afterwards shaking out the viscera. Cut down into the body to separate the wing roots from the back. That severs the other major blood collection area. Hang the fish for two days, then skin off the wings. If you want to freeze the meat, leave the skin on, or at least do not wash the flesh before wrapping."

Most obvious place to wing them is to do it aboard, put the waste back into the food chain, who wants a skate carcuss stinking up the rubbish bin at home for a week or a fortnight.

Tried skate once blondes, thornbacks, couldn't get on with the taste so if they are not bleeding or deep hooked they go back, or given away to who wants them aboard.

Any methods on skinning them? A good skipper mate of mine suggests freezing them in news paper, when they are required and just before they thaw out is the easiest time to do it?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barry,

Somewhere on here is a post by Wurzel on skinning them. It's not for the faint-hearted!

Steve/Norrie - your books seem to confirm the 'wing them asap' theory, which is handy. I wonder about this 'law' thing, though? Could be just an old wive's tale, but the person who told me should know....Hmmm.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I wonder about this 'law' thing, though? Could be just an old wive's tale, but the person who told me should know....Hmmm.
It 'rings a bell' with me Elton, but that's about it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Barry,

Somewhere on here is a post by Wurzel on skinning them. It's not for the faint-hearted!

It's ok Elton, i've had me breakfast. Found some detail on u-tube with a machine that skins them in seconds, being a pleb, i have tied to find Wurzel skinning them with out any luck.Can someone do a link for us.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/