Three cheers for elitism

Vagabond

I am delighted the UK Polar Research Vessel is to be named the "Sir David Attenborough" despite the "popular" or "democratic" public vote in favour of "Boaty McBoatface"

Commonsense and elitism won the day, and "democracy" was stuffed. That has cheered me up no end.

• Like 3

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I am delighted the UK Polar Research Vessel is to be named the "Sir David Attenborough" despite the "popular" or "democratic" public vote in favour of "Boaty McBoatface"

Commonsense and elitism won the day, and "democracy" was stuffed. That has cheered me up no end.

Me too: although they are naming the unmanned submarine to be used on (under?) the "Sir David Attenborough" Boaty McBoatface to keep the plebs happy.

• Like 1

Why attenborough ,i am sure there are more deserving people that dont use other peoples words on other peoples video footage

Boaty is far better than anything else, you know someone thats actually achieved something at least boaty got the highest number of votes not because they are seen on every bit of boring footage ever seen

Howabout the brian blessed at least hes tried to get to the top of everest (its a bit snowy like the poles) before beard frost set in or the boat top gear who actually drove to one of the poles

Why do we need a vessel at all they just break up all the lovely ice so it drifts off to america to be put in drinks or call it ice cracky mcracken

I think attenborogh is like that wittingstall bloke ,he goes by helicopter to some wharehouse where the set is says his spiel then goes home later in the day while some stooge does the dirty work

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Should have been Boaty McBoatface on the express understanding that on the occasion of Sir A's death, the vessel will be re-christened the "RSI Attenborough".

Everybody is happy and with a limited window available to get it on the CV, the cream of the world's scientists and technicians would be queuing up to serve aboard "Boaty" - they are afterall geeks to a man and/or woman.

The only fly in the ointment is that Sir David is an old man and they haven't so much as warmed a rivet yet - he could very well pop his clogs before Boaty ever gets to sail.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Should have been Boaty McBoatface on the express understanding that on the occasion of Sir A's death, the vessel will be re-christened the "RSI Attenborough".

Everybody is happy and with a limited window available to get it on the CV, the cream of the world's scientists and technicians would be queuing up to serve aboard "Boaty" - they are afterall geeks to a man and/or woman.

The only fly in the ointment is that Sir David is an old man and they haven't so much as warmed a rivet yet - he could very well pop his clogs before Boaty ever gets to sail.

Why ? I believe he was fourth on the list?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It's a polar research vessel. I can't think of a better name for it. The poll was like something out of Idiocracy. Let's instead rename the Premiere League "Footy McFootface" and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier as "Bitey McChavface".

• Like 2

It's a polar research vessel. I can't think of a better name for it. The poll was like something out of Idiocracy. Let's instead rename the Premiere League "Footy McFootface" and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier as "Bitey McChavface".

And rename those that thought Boaty McBoatface was a good name for a ship Dicky McDickhead.

• Like 2

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

There is one serious point about this.

I remember a big row at a certain university because "Mickey Mouse" claimed the majority vote in the election for "President of the Students' Union"

The bunch of lemming-like idiots who voted for BMcB were quite rightly ignored, as was Mickey Mouse.

However, that sets a "precedent" for ignoring a vote on more serious matters.

Such as ?

Lets say "Brexit" wins the day, and we are then told the vote is to be ignored "for our own good"

Farfetched ? Hmmmm , it has already happened in Ireland - weren't voters told to go back and try again ?

One would expect common sense to be able to distinguish the difference between the two scenarios, but don't hold your breath.

• Like 4

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Its not unusual ,when the government or council poll the voter under the term "consultation" the results can be ignored if it doesnt suit their agenda

We the masses cannot witness the count in any election but luckily theres enough people about to query any shenanigans on the floor but i dread the day of electronic voting where just one guy is sitting at a screen watching the count, a fat brown envelope or warning his wife and kids may disapear will turn democracy on its head there little of it now we already know the postal vote can be rigged so the rest can be as well

Ofcourse public consultations or inquiries can be lucrative for some ,the stonehenge ones must be up to 50 million quid now and no doubt the ongoing (for over a decade) one with the highly controversial farnham replanning is raking it in for the lawyers on both side and once the council cannot afford another cent it goes ahead anyway

Heres an old stonehenge one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1521609/A-monumental-waste.html

An amusing bit about the farnham one is the company trying to build the damn thing being asked why theres 4 story buildings being built denying there was despite it quite clearly was looking at the artists impression they use to force through their point about how nice farnham will be if the council let them go ahead

Its a bit like the fiasco of aldershot ejecting businesses from a victorian covered mall to construct a fake victorian mall ,what was full of businesses is still partly closed no doubt the council had to raise business taxes and the builder rents to pay for this worthless unnecessary decision

When the companies start disapearing and the shops empty what does aldershot do? lower the rates? Give grants to encourage new companies? No they spend lots of money relaying the paths in the town center and taking out and putting in new trees they replaced last time ,must be up to ten times now the fat brown envelopes from the builders must work someone is gaining but its not the shoppers

Edited by chesters1