Chesters top tip for wind

chesters1

Got a ceiling fan?

Is it getting slower ?

Two things it could be ,needs a lubing ,not easy as its (going by mine)hard to get apart but you can trickle a bit of oil on the shaft both sides of the motor to help.

But if that doesnt work its the start run capacitor failing .

Switch off leccy ,Remove glassware and bulb(s) and remove (going by mine) 3 screws that hold on the part where the chains go in ,let it hang on the wires ,inside is a small black object with two wires enscribed apon it are numbers your looking for one with "uf" (no micro symbol on my keyboard) IE 1uf 450v AC 50/60hz ,its the "uf" bit though your looking for.put it back together.

Get an exact replacement from your friendly ebay seller it will look exactly the same but may have different coloured wires.

Disassemble fan again ,cut one wire on capacitor (same one as old version )and use a small choc block (or solder and shrinktube) to attach the new capacitor to the fan then the other ,cram it back in (its a tight fit with all the wires) and switch on ,it should jump into action ,start quicker ,be quieter and blow wind .

Ofcourse only do this if your ok in such matters i bear no responsibility for death ,flames or chill from wind

Ps if you need a 1uf i have a couple to spare i had to buy 5 ! Certainly an option of forking out lotsa money on new fan if thats all it is

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

10 Commandments for Technicians

I. Beware the lightning that lurketh in the undischarged
capacitor, lest it cause thee to bounce upon thy
buttocks in a most un-technician-like manner.

II. Cause thou the switch that supplieth large quantities
of juice to be opened and thusly tagged, that thy
days in this earthly veil of tears may be long.

III. Prove to thyself that all circuits that radiateth and
upon which thou workest are grounded and thusly
tagged, lest they lift thee up to radio frequency
potential and causeth thee also to make like
a radiator.

IV. Tarry not amongst those fools who engageth in intentional
shocks for they are surely non-believers and are not
long for this world.

V. Take care that thou useth the proper method when thou
takest the measure of a high voltage circuit, lest
thou incinerate both thyself and thy meter, for
verily, though thou hast no account number
and canst be easily surveyed, thy test
meter doth have one and, as a con-
sequence, bringeth much woe
unto the supply depot.

VI. Take care that thou tampereth not with safety devices and
interlocks, lest thou incurreth the wrath of thy
instructor and bringeth the fury of thy
instructor upon thy head.

VII. Work thou not with energized equipment, for if thou dost,
thy fellow students will surely buy beers for thy
spouse, who liveth, (and consoleth them in other
ways).

VIII. Trifle thou not with radioactive tubes and substances, lest
thou commence to glow in the dark like a lightning bug
and thy spouse have no further use fo thee except
thy wages.

IX. Causeth thou not to make unauthorized modifications to
equipment, lest thou arrange to have recorded all field
changes and authorized mods made by thee, that thy
successor shall not tear his hair and go
slowly mad in his attempt to decide what
manner of cretin hath made such a
mess in the wiring of such
equipment.

X. Be thou cautious in the placing of thy digits into such
equipment that would cause thee to sorely lament the
loss of thy greatest sexual appendage.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Rule one ,do not lick any capacitor to see if its working LOL.

The house has been rewired and then partly rewired when the kitchen was done ,my meddlings were under the guise of extension leads as my armoured cable down the front garden and to the sheds were not the current colour (although merely a sleeve of the correct colour each end is good enough) its expensive stuff so i grabbed it whatever colour it was internally ,it goes to a switched fused box then comes out with a plug on it ,far safer than one you can buy off the shelf,the sheds are 6mm the front 2.5 as its just for the strimmer.

I thought i had lost an arm at the uni accidentally bumping into an experiment using capacitors from microwaves (some R&D for an academic ) the student had forgotten to drain them right down before leaving ,he got a stern warning the next day!

In my kitchen i moved a plug nearer the trips ,the electrician had to come back to move the trip box lower (infact it went higher as the tails were to short) he said i was naughty i merely told him the wiring was the same just shorter

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson