bolt rigs - setting the clutch

The Flying Tench

This will be a rather basic question to carp anglers, I fear. I rarely use bolt rigs, but am interested in the prospect for roach and bream when using two rods. Following advice from a previous post, I experimented (with just one rod) on a local lake with lots of skimmers. The rig got it's bolt effect from being tight to the rod tip, pointed at the feeder. It worked fine, though better with sweetcorn for the skimmers than with a smaller hook and maggots for, mainly, small roach.

Yesterday I tried on a different local lake with two rods. The feeder rod was cast out into the middle, with sweetcorn and maggot, hoping for bream. Same rig as before, 3 inch tail. I incorporated a bite alarm. Meanwhile I fished a float rod in the margins hoping for crucians, though caught lots of mini common carp. The point of explaining this is that I was holding the float rod, so couldn't respond too quickly to the feeder rod, and relied on the bolt effect.

The bite alarm went once, but the line had broken at the hook. It was only 6 pound line, and I suspect the culprit was a carp. Silly me. I had set the clutch fairly tight, wanting a good bolt effect, but obviously it was too tight. Presumably if it had been very free running, though, the bolt effect wouldn't have worked, as the feeder was only 20 gms.

So, am I right that, with bolt rigs of this type, you have to set the clutch at a medium setting, not too tight but not too loose?

john clarke

So, am I right that, with bolt rigs of this type, you have to set the clutch at a medium setting, not too tight but not too loose?

The ideal reel to use with a bolt rig is a baitruunner type reel, this will allow the line to be taken in the same manner as a very loosely set clutch.

Pretty much anything else, unless you are constantly hovering over the rods (and it can still happen even then) is likely to see your rod disappearing at a rate of knots if a larger fish picks up the bait.

Indeed, and I've always assumed that with a baitrunner you should set it very free running. But I'm wondering if, for a bolt rig, this is wrong and would destroy the bolt effect?

The ideal reel to use with a bolt rig is a baitruunner type reel, this will allow the line to be taken in the same manner as a very loosely set clutch.

Pretty much anything else, unless you are constantly hovering over the rods (and it can still happen even then) is likely to see your rod disappearing at a rate of knots if a larger fish picks up the bait.

john clarke

Indeed, and I've always assumed that with a baitrunner you should set it very free running. But I'm wondering if, for a bolt rig, this is wrong and would destroy the bolt effect?

I don't fish the bolt method, but I assume the weight of the feeder/bomb, causes the self hooking effect of the bolt rig, so the reel setting can be loose to let the fish run. So I would up the weight of the feeder, and make sure your hooks are really sharp.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

the weight of the feeder/bomb, causes the self hooking effect of the bolt rig, so the reel setting can be loose to let the fish run.

That's about it really, not much else to it but a big weight to do all the work.

The tricky bit is remembering to turn off the baitrunner (or hold the spool/tighten the clutch on a non baitrunner) when you pick up the rod.

As said you might consider a bait runner reel for this method John, and setting the reel on free spool will give you the warning. But I would only employ this method if after bigger fish such as Barbel or Carp, a a heavier lead will prick the fish and then the fish will run setting off the 'runner', so no need to worry about drag settings.

Tench,

On this side of the pond I just leave the bail open - hang a cork (bobber, float) between the 1st and 2nd eye of the rod. But I rarely walk away from my swim. With or without a "bolt" cyprids nearly always hook themselves anyway.

Phone

edit - 1st or 2nd eye from the reel.

Edited by Phone

Thanks everyone. In a previous thread some people did indeed use the weight of the feeder to give the bolt effect, as you all suggest, but others used a tight line to the rod. I think I'll try the heavy feeder approach next!

john clarke

I always set my baitrunner just loose enough thay should a fast moving fish suddenly decide to stop dead in its tracks i dont end up with an over run effect causing a tangle.

Though yesterday i jad to resort to using my float rod reel on the quiver which has no baitrunner. I could use the anti reverse switch but that imo would cause a tangle but managed ok as was plenty time with the tip swinging around to grab rod before it went in :D had a common to about 10lb

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Before I had reels with baitrunners, I used an open bail arm with the line in a clip on the rod.

Foxlabel__64280.1426583908.1280.1280.jpg

The bolt effect should all come from the semi-fixed lead, IMO, not from the reel. Having it set tight is just asking to have your rod pulled in!