Neighbours (not mine) big problem with pc

chesters1

thanks anyway youve saved a nice ladies bacon ,touch wood all her pictures are somewhere in the user file ,i keep mine on a seperate partition labled photos ,it makes life so much easier ,cheers

spoke to soon copy just finished but ubuntu couldnt unmount the 64gb flash drive ,i waited ten minutes then removed it now nothing sees it ,its not seen in ubuntu or win10 ,its an ex drive .had enough today i will try again tomorrow

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeeesssz

Got her damned pictures but had to sit up all night hitting retry as they went onto a usb disk (far faster than a usb3 flash disk) .

Impressed with ubuntu i will put it on my ancient xp (ancient but reliable and used by an F1 team) laptop if it can run in 1gb of memory ?

Her pictures are now on a dvd and are being copied onto a memory stick as well along with some documents and downloads etc.

The laptop is now in recovery mode and this afternoon all will be revealed if it was a busted windows installation (that windows couldnt fix) or a busted hard drive thats a bugger to get out ,it seems ease of access is long gone its a major stripdown vs a simple door on my old laptop.

Thanks again and she thanks you as well

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Glad you got the pics. It does sound like a dodgy hard drive being a bit hit and miss when transferring files.

1gb should be fine, though i wouldnt expect it to work miracles it will be noticibly faster than xp.

I did actually run a vm in ubuntu loaded with windows 7 and was running both adobe illustrator and photoshop at the same time. It did struggle at times and i kicked the arse out of it but i was rwally impressed how it managed all that on less than 2gb.

When you get it up and running stick libre office on it. Its as close to ms office as you will get and loads all ms office files.

You can also change the gui of ubuntu kinda easily, but i quite.like the default unity gui although finding programs can be a pain as its not like start menu on windows. Use the very top icon on the side bar.

Something else to consider is disabling the amazon search scope if its not been done by default already. there was talk of it being removed in new versions of ubuntu, the community didnt like the idea of amazon getting their keywords in that file/program search on the side bar.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

cheers ,going by the slowness of the recovery i think a new HD is on the cards ,luckily though as its still running i can clone it in situ and get the recovery partition like last time .

the tip about windows 10 not fully switching off was the eye opener ,what happens if you shut down then turn of the electric ?

there was also a heck of a lot of virus's on the downloaded stuff ,her avast wasnt running not even windows firewall ,now doing a full scan on mine ! i will plead she changes all her passwords as well but that usually falls on deaf ears

Edited by chesters1

Not sure what the deal is with the hybrid boot thing. Probably writes to some part of the disk not normally written to during shutdown hence ubuntu not able to load it as its not in a normal state (feck knows) so a power cut wouldnt affect it so not true hybernation ?

Disks had it so i have given her the details to get a new one ,its a pig to install though a complete stripdown to get at it ,my old one is just a door ,one screw and underneath is the hard disk ready to slide out ,who says new is always better.

Thanks anyway i will put ubuntu on the old laptop its used as a backup backup but worth keeping as its xp (DOH thats a fix) that runs my old negative scanner and my mrs music player software ,perhaps a dual boot then LOL

The ubuntu installer (on its desktop theres a shortcut to do it) handles setting up dual boot quite nicely. If it detects another OS itgives options to setup dual.boot.

Dont talk to me about opening laptops! I just wish all the screws were exactly the same. Once made a customers look like it had brail written all over the plastic facia surrounding the track pad because of the length of them :lol:

bugger the desktop version i had on disk wont install on my old 32bit xp machine and i cant find a ubuntu version so i found a lubuntu version that may ,much difference?