Centre pin reel fishing

Sussex

Hello Sussex and welcome to Anglers Net :)

I've fished with a centre pin a few times but am a bit busy right now, I'll give a proper reply tomorrow (I know a few on here are dedicated 'pin-heads') :)

• Like 1

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hello Sussex and welcome to Anglers Net :)

I've fished with a centre pin a few times but am a bit busy right now, I'll give a proper reply tomorrow (I know a few on here are dedicated 'pin-heads') :)

Great! It's nice to know there are a few dedicated 'pin- head' anglers! I'm just re-starting my fishing career and wanted to try one.

I rarely use anything else.

Compared to a fixed spool there's very little to go wrong with them and I much prefer one for playing a fish.

You can't cast as far, but so what, if you don't scare the fish away they will happily feed close in, (most of them - and I don't fish for Bream anyway). :)

I've caught some good size lumps with mine, Barbel over 10, Carp over 20, etc. etc.

• Like 1

A centrepin is the best reel for float fishing flowing water, in my opinion that's the only time where it's better than a fixed spool reel. Its greatest strength is in the control you have over the speed/direction of the float and hence bait presentation. My casting distance with a 4g float is limited to about 20 yards if the wind is behind me, half that if it's in my face. A lot of people say that the direct connection to the hook (rather than going through loads of gears) provides much better feel when playing fish but I'm not totally convinced by that.

Trotting a float is a very enjoyable way to fish, I spend most of my time doing that so have become comfortable using a centrepin. If I'm going to fish another method, say ledgering flake for chub then I'll use a fixed spool reel because it's a better tool for that particular job.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Buy a kid a fixed spool reel and they forget about watercraft and just want to see how far they can cast.

You can't cast as far,

In the "good old days" I remember taking a cycle-cape fishing, on which the line between reel and butt ring was carefully coiled (and reversed) should I desire to cast a bait any distance. That meant there had to be a jolly good reason for electing to sling a bait a long way - it was a lot of trouble.

You can learn so much more about fish if you get them feeding close in.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I like to use a centre pin for margin fishing on still waters. I like the feel of the direct connection to the fish without any gears clutch etc, and also feel that when fishing close to snags/lillies/weed I have more control over how much and when line is given in the fight than you do using a fixed spool and a clutch.

A double figure carp hooked at close range on a 'pin is something every angler should experience :)

Mat

• Like 1

Mat

A double figure carp hooked at close range on a 'pin is something every angler should experience :)

Kucklecracking !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Mat

I did that one evening, (well, more than one, but this one was memorable).

Unfortunately I was sat with my feet crossed at the time.

When I tried to stand up, the lace on one boot was caught in one of the metal lace hooks on the other boot.

I didn't quite fall in but it was close, the carp got into the mass of Bog-bean in the margin and was gone. :wacko:

• Like 1

I did that one evening, (well, more than one, but this one was memorable).

Unfortunately I was sat with my feet crossed at the time.

When I tried to stand up, the lace on one boot was caught in one of the metal lace hooks on the other boot.

I didn't quite fall in but it was close, the carp got into the mass of Bog-bean in the margin and was gone. :wacko:

Lol ajay, that sounds like something that would happen to me !

Several years ago I was stood mid-river trotting for barbel and had hooked one and was in the middle of playing it when I stepped backwards and stepped off a ledge of bedrock into a deeper hole. I went straight down under the water.At a guess it must have been at least 6 inches to over a foot over my head before my feet touched bottom and I pushed myself back up. I had my arm outstretched straight up in the air like the statue of libery and was still clutcing my rod in it, my finger still pressed on the centrepins spool stopping the barbel pulling off line. I did catch the barbel ok lol.

It was a seriously hot spell and in all honesty if I hadn't swallowed a mouthfull of the river water it wouldn't have been so bad as the water felt like warm bath water. After releasing the barbel I emptied out my waders and stipped off to me crackers to try and dry out. I thought i'd carry on fishing and wade out in my bare feet. That was a mistake as the rocks where wrecking me feet so I was forced to wade in my wet waders and my skids...a litle embarassing when other anglers walked past as I felt as though I looked like a gay boy!!

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1