Fishing Coniston Water - Lake District

Lee W

Hi Lee and welcome to Anglers' Net. Hopefully someone will come along soon who is familiar with that water. I'm way too far west of there to have ever fished it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Emma?

Are you still lurking?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Looks like as you say mate!!

Spinners & Worms then - if allowed?? :fishing1:

Chuck out a worm & see what happens!! - gets one away from 'er indoors for a couple of hours!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

No carp in there and the trout and char season will be closed come November. So looks like pike and perch are your best bet but won't be easy when it gets colder up there.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

It's many years since I fished Coniston Lee, but I had a boat trip on it last year. If by mentioning carp, you are used to the commercial type carp water, then you are in for a shock. Coniston is a vast water, with areas of very shallow water close to shore, that suddenly drop off to anything up to 100ft in depth. The water is clear, and colder than your average carp lake. The bottom can be covered in anything from sand, to large boulders, so be careful when picking a swim. There are no carp in there, and as far as I know, it's just trout, pike, perch, char, and eels. One of our members, Emma, live up that way, and assures us that as the year progresses, the fishing get a lot harder. If you fish it from the bank, I would suggest a roving approach, using lures, or worm fished 'sink and draw' for the perch, and trout. We went in late September last year, and it was pretty busy with boats, kayaks, yachts, sail and paddle boards, but you could find quieter areas if you moved around.

I think there are a couple of commercial stillwaters in the area if you prefer, have a google and see what you can find.

John.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Many thanks guys for the replies & thanks for making me feel welcome.

My second option after going after Carp was to using dead bating for Pike with bite alarms but I feel a little unconfident using this method in fear of deep hooking the fish because i'm not entirely confident in hooking them as previous Pike i have caught on lure i have struggled but got there safely in the end.

So i was thinking of ledgering for perch & trout using worm to get out far from the bank.

Is this an effective method do you think for this species & any advice on rigs would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Lee.

Hi again Lee, try Method feeder, using groudbait & soil / mud mixed in with it.

This cloud effect will attract the Perch for sure, rather then just a worm on its own. Perch will "Home in" to see what it's all about!!

The groundbait is just to help break up the mud to form a cloud rather than it sticking to the feeder in a lump!!

Also add some chopped worm to the mix - to get some "Blood In The Water".

You could even use some of the peat supplied with the worms, which I assume will be Dendro's??

Also use the 15 inch QUICKSTOP hair rigs for worm fishing - they can otherwise crawl off a Barbless hook - They can't get off a QUICKSTOP!!

Just cast it in with the worm dangling, they'll never stay buried in the feeder anyway!!

Also "Clip Up" the line so you can hit the same spot every time, keeping your worm in the continuous cloud - If there's no joy after an hour or so - Try a different spot.& do it all over again.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!