Hook Pulls with the Bomb?

Martin56

I'm getting a LOT of hook pulls when fishing the Bomb!!

The fish (decent Carp) seem to be well hooked - judging by the way they nearly pull the rod in!!

I can have them on for quite a while, then bang!!! another hook pulled out.

The hooks I use are big enough - Barbless, size 14 or 12 or 10 & more often than not - 15" QUICKSTOPS.

I've stopped using the Korum in size 16, 15" QUICKSTOPS - The hooks straighten out very easily in this size even with a fish of 4 lb or so - the wire is way too fine IMO.

I'm wondering if there's a "Pendulum" thing happening with the Bomb swinging up & down, dislodging the hook??

It seems to hardly ever happen with the (much heavier) "Method" . (Because of the shear weight of this, it just hangs there)

Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe using more "Side Play" could be part of the solution??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

If I were suffering a lot of hook pulls and my hooks were ok then I would suspect my rod action not being as forgiving as it could be in that situation and the fishes sudden twists and turns were not being absorbed through the rod quite as much as it could be.

What test curve rods were you using Martin and what action are they? and what line were you using?

Or maybe you are just bringing them in under the rod tip a tad too fast and before they are quite ready for the net?

NB: I sometimes use Quickstop hooks when I'm barbelling and when I'm after smaller Carp up to around 15lb using smaller hooks (14 up to around size 8 In swims that are not too snaggy and I rarely get my hooks pulling out so I suspect your hooks are probably fine.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

The hooks I use are big enough - Barbless, size 14 or 12 or 10 & more often than not - 15" QUICKSTOPS.

I've stopped using the Korum in size 16, 15" QUICKSTOPS - The hooks straighten out very easily in this size even with a fish of 4 lb or so - the wire is way too fine IMO.

Hmm, depends upon your point of view. A hook that straightens out on a 4 lb carp is ideal when roach fishing "up in the water" and a hefty carp muscles in. The quicker one can get rid of the carp and resume roach fishing the better. Having to play the carp out has wrecked my roach swim on numerous occasions.

I rarely fish for carp these days, but would look to use a larger hook than "14, 12 or 10" Are these relatively small-gape, thin-wire hooks just cutting their way out ? How much pressure are you applying ? How strong is your line ? I have (see above) had to play out double-figure carp hooked on #16 and roach tackle, but you have to get them swimming in circles when using light gear - change of direction of pull rather than bullying them.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Are you using a softer bomb rod or a stiffer method rod.

When bomb fishing you generally need to strike as the bomb is quite light and the tip very sensitive compared to a heavier method feeder where a stiffer rod helps set the hook.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thanks for your replies Keith & RUDD.

The rod is the 10 Foot DRENNAN RED Carp Feeder, Not sure of the Test curve though.

It's supposed to have quite a soft - (for Silvers) & progressive (for Carp) action - "TO AVOID HOOK PULLS" it says in the Link below.

I'm using 8 lb Main line & 6,7 & 8 lb QUICKSTOP Hook lengths.

I'm also finding there's no need to strike as they almost always set the hook themselves by nearly pulling the rod in!!

Once they're swimming round in circles & I'm in control, they then usually stay on.

Maybe I could try sinking the Rod tip a bit when playing them?? - The way Dave Harrell does when River Barbel fishing.

Could be I'm bullying them to the top too early?? (They tend to come to the surface quickly anyway by the nature of the pretty constant 4 foot deep swims which are prevalent on most of the commercials!!)

This is the rod :-https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj16qK3mNvOAhUH1hoKHfImABoQFghnMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wassfishingtackle.co.uk%2Fproduct%2Fdrennan-red-range-10-feet-carp-feeder%2F&usg=AFQjCNEdMBFYGZFlBHTo8MDBKSPas-4odA&sig2=XlkVL5H6idHFLnEvb9GqpQ

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!