Hooking Maggots

Martin56

Sideways

The next time you go fishing, chuck a maggot in the edge and see how it falls. Every time it sinks sideways, so why don’t we hook them like that? After all, the whole principle of fishing is to disguise our hookbaits to the bait that we feed. You get a very good hook hold and it usually fools the bigger wiser fish. Think outside the box and look for little edges like this that might catch you those extra fish that other people may miss out on.

Yes, I nicked this from the Preston Innovations Site - Hope that's OK with Admin'?? Please Feel free to take it down if it constitutes a breach?? Can almost anything in the "Public Domain" be copied??

{Admin note: You cannot take one of their images and use it on another site. You will need to use your own hook and maggot to take a photo and then post it. However, simply saying you've side-hooked a maggot should be enough to give everyone the idea}

Edited by Newt
image removed

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Quite agree Andy - Not a great advert for Preston's "Ready Tied Market" lol.

Just to be clear - It's an Image from Their Site - & Not My picture!!!

That said - at least the "Tag" is on the inside & not stuck out!!

First thing my Late Dad taught me when tying hooks was to trim as close as you dare - wherever it finishes!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

The biggest problem with hooking maggots in the side is spin.

Expect your hooklink to get very twisted.

Another issue is hook exposure.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.