Finally!

AddictedToScopex

So this morning I was looking for something to do to take my mind off my grandfathers funeral tomorrow. He was like a father to me and so it has been a lot to handle but thanks to escapes like fishing I am managing to get by. I chose to pick up my lure gear and go for wander down the river. I was hoping for some perch action but also secretly hoping I would be lucky enough to catch my first ever river pike.

I got to the river on a free stretch and saw it was very low indeed compared to all the other times I have been there this year. I didn't hold out much hope as the swim I was hoping to fish had been made inaccessible by loads of exposed mud which looked very slippery and dangerous. I walked down the river and tried a few casts but given it was also sunny as hell again I held out little hope. A bit further down I had a really good chat with another angler who gave me some pointers for the river carp (which is my other target for this year) and he also told me of a hot spot for pike. I walked on and to the spot but again had no luck and my braid was constantly knotting which was driving me mad. I must have gone through 100m of braid in retying my rig after knots. I plan to try a coated braid next time to avoid the knots.

I made my way back down the river and had a few casts here and there and then I noticed that due to time passing there was now a great shadowy area covering half of the river. I thought to myself that if any preds were to be active then this was pretty much the only area as it was dark and the water was coloured. I had many casts without success and more knots. I was just about to give up when I had the thought that were my grandfather here he would encourage me to keep on and not give up easily. I decided to stay in that spot for a few more casts working my lure through the shadows.

I went a few more casts with no action and then just as my lure reached the edge of the shadowed area again I felt a sudden tug on the line followed by a few yards being pulled off the reel. I had something on. I thought it was a big perch at first as I have had them from this area before but I felt there was something different about the fight. It wasn't erratic enough. I worked the fish to the edge of the shadows on my light gear and then I saw the fish. It was a pike! My first ever from the river. I remembered that I had just a single hook jighead on and then became very aware then I had lost canal pike before on single hooks. I played it in quickly and slid the net cackhandedly underneath it. It was in the net!!! I almost jumped for joy! I felt my grandfather had had a hand in this catch and it felt very special for me.

I unhooked the pike and took a few snaps and then slid it into the water. It wanted to go belly up so I supported it with the net until it held itself up. It sad in a huff for a good few minutes in front of me and then it swam a bit further and sulked for another 5 minutes before it shot off back into the shadows. I was made up and still am. It was only a jack but my god did it feel good. I went back to chat to the chap I met earlier and he was happy for me too and we had a good talk for a while before I walked back to the car. Mission accomplished. :)

Pics below. I should note that the last two show the pike sulking further out. You will have to look closely :) You can also see the shadowed area I was talking about.

10cnasg.jpg

esrafb.jpg

sgl3lz.jpg

32zuft5.jpg

160pt6q.jpg

Edited by AddictedToScopex
  • Like 3

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Nice report mate, & my condolences on the passing of your loved one.

When tomorrow's over with - go fishing again the day after.

I'm sure your Grandad would more than approve.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Condolences and congratulation make for an odd mix.

Light lures and braid are a PITA if you're trying to cast distances, but you can minimise wind knots by feathering the line lightly and flicking the rod tip back as you engage the bale arm to pull everything tight before you start to wind - but a better solution is to switch to 10lb Fireline.

It's tough as old boots and stiff enough to massively reduce wind knots.

Palomar knots work reliably with it and while it's not cheap as chips, it won't break the bank.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks guys. Been a crap few months as we also lost my grandmother 3 months earlier. All we can do is keep pushing on though and doing our best.

Cheers for the advice Ken. I've just put some 10lb fluorocarbon on one spool to give that a try. Someone else had mentioned Berkeley Nanofil. Sounded similar to some spiderwire ez braid that I have. The EZ braid I tried was ok at first but it soon lost its rigidity that the coating gave it and then it was back to wind knots and other annoyances.

I may have to get a spool of fireline to see what it's like. The other braid really tried my patience.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Avoid Nanopfil like he plague. It casts brilliantly, handles well and breaks without warning - no matter what knots you use.

I've been using PE lines for more than 20 years and after leaving more hooks in fish than I care to think about, I threw it in the bin after less than two weeks.

If you decide to give fireline a try, don't be tempted to go above 10lb unless you are hefting big lures about. It's comparatively thick for a braid and testing consistently shows that it breaks way above the stated breaking strain - I use the 10lb or everything from flicking spinners for chub to chasing 25lb barramundi over clean sand.

One other advantage of fireline is that it allows me to neatly sidestep the "no braid" rules on a stretch of river that I fish a lot.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the fluorocarbon. It's brilliant for leaders but I've never used it as a mainline.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.