A dearth of Carp

BoldBear

Last night my son and I decided to have an afternoon session on our local estate lake.

We both chose to fish one rod for Carp and the second with a waggler after the Roach, Rudd and Bream that are always obliging and often reach respectable sizes in there.

I don't know why but for some reason the normally obliging Carp didn't want to show their faces at all and we didn't even see one when the light started to fade which is very unusual. There were only two other anglers who were fishing at the other end of the two joined lakes (which join under an old picturesc bridge) and the lake is fairly remote. To not catch any Carp at all was very unusual for there.

Anyway at least the Roach, Rudd and Bream (plus a single Perch) where obliging and fed well all afternoon, with some of the Roach and Rudd reaching over the pound mark and a few of the Bream up to around 4 and 5lb-ish so the afternoon wasn't a complete loss, in fact it was a very pleasant afternoon other than for the strange dearth of Carp.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I now know the reason why the Carp didn't feed; there was a Carp match a few days earlier and the seven teams of two weighed in over 600lb of Carp up to 23lbs. I suspect that is why the Carp were not playing ball on the afternoon that we fished Lol.

NB: It's not a commercial type lake and it doesn't have thousands of stunted Carp stocked in there plus it doesn't see many anglers on the bank normally.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

That certainly sounds like good reasoning. I would love to avoid the carp at times when wanting tench etc. Maybe I need to go after a match too. I've been back on the river for a bit now.

• Like 1

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk