Wanted. Silencer for single barrel .410

Norm B

Norm,

You must have bad intentions for some romantic cats. It doesn't "silence" the round but a half litre water bottle with 6 or 8 cotton balls tightly duct taped to the barrel "suppresses" the sound pretty well. Might try it "off sight" first to see if it is quiet enough for your task. Good for about two rounds.

BTW, it is an illegal "gun modification" in the US., don't know about in the UK.

Phone

Edited by Phone
  • Like 1

Norm,

You must have bad intentions for some romantic cats. It doesn't "silence" the round but a half litre water bottle with 6 or 8 cotton balls tightly duct taped to the barrel "suppresses" the sound pretty well. Might try it "off sight" first to see if it is quiet enough for your task. Good for about two rounds.

BTW, it is an illegal "gun modification" in the US., don't know about in the UK.

Phone

:clap3: Not cats, it's a fox that has found out how to kill hedgehogs which are endangered here. I've encouraged several in to my garden with food and a friendly habitat and the fox is ruining it. Not illegal here, you don't even need a permit for a silencer on a shot gun, as far as I know. Not a problem with the noise but some of the neighbours feed the foxes and cats so I don't want to upset them if they hear a shot then a fox disappears. :shutup:

Badgers are the main culprit when hedgehog remains are found.

:fishing1: Badgers would have to dig their way in and I'd find the hole, no, it was definitely a fox, never had a problem for over 20 years but now I have one and want to stop it. :fishing1:

:clap3: Not cats, it's a fox that has found out how to kill hedgehogs which are endangered here. I've encouraged several in to my garden with food and a friendly habitat and the fox is ruining it. Not illegal here, you don't even need a permit for a silencer on a shot gun, as far as I know. Not a problem with the noise but some of the neighbours feed the foxes and cats so I don't want to upset them if they hear a shot then a fox disappears. :shutup:

Don't know your house, obviously, but I'd be very careful about letting off a shotgun in there ... you can face some pretty serious penalties for discharging a bloody airgun in your garden if you are too close to a footpath (or even a public road), never mind a shotgun, regardless of your intentions - and firearms-related charges / convictions and penalties are NEVER a minor issue, with many now carrying a mandatory custoddial sentence, even for stuff that would have seen a blind eye turned, or at worse a 'quiet word' just a few years ago.

Your biggest problem may lie with the possibility of a complaint from a neighbour ... a vague call / complaint to the police WILL result in a very blunt visit from an armed police unit ... I kid you not! The police WILL NOT attend any incident reported as involving a gun of any type without an armed response unit being there - I've even (recently) seen them put up the helicopter locally as a part of their response, after kids were reported close to where we live, in woodland bordering a lake in a public park!

Oh aye - from experience too - add-on shotgun silencers don't do much at all to keep a shot quiet, they do little more than muffle it a bit, way different to shotguns that are manufactured with silencers as an integral part of the barrel.

Edited by philocalist

Don't know your house, obviously, but I'd be very careful about letting off a shotgun in there ... you can face some pretty serious penalties for discharging a bloody airgun in your garden if you are too close to a footpath (or even a public road), never mind a shotgun, regardless of your intentions - and firearms-related charges / convictions and penalties are NEVER a minor issue, with many now carrying a mandatory custoddial sentence, even for stuff that would have seen a blind eye turned, or at worse a 'quiet word' just a few years ago.

Your biggest problem may lie with the possibility of a complaint from a neighbour ... a vague call / complaint to the police WILL result in a very blunt visit from an armed police unit ... I kid you not! The police WILL NOT attend any incident reported as involving a gun of any type without an armed response unit being there - I've even (recently) seen them put up the helicopter locally as a part of their response, after kids were reported close to where we live, in woodland bordering a lake in a public park!

Oh aye - from experience too - add-on shotgun silencers don't do much at all to keep a shot quiet, they do little more than muffle it a bit, way different to shotguns that are manufactured with silencers as an integral part of the barrel.

:clap3: Might just have to buy a fully moderated shot gun then, bit expensive for just 1 fox. :clap3:

:clap3: Might just have to buy a fully moderated shot gun then, bit expensive for just 1 fox. :clap3:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

:clap3: Now got a fully moderated .410 and a box of subsonic magnum cartridges. Checked with local police, completely legal as long as no shot leaves my garden, they even said they'd phone me first before they send out the ARV if a shot is reported at night in my area. It pays to talk to them first. :clap3: