Wanted. Silencer for single barrel .410

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  • Interests:Sea Angling, Conservation and shooting.

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:42 PM

:clap3: As above for a single barrel Cooey. Fair price paid or will swap cartridges if you have a SC.  :clap3:

Edited by Norm B, 25 September 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#2 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

Norm,

You must have bad intentions for some romantic cats.  It doesn't "silence" the round but a half litre water bottle with 6 or 8 cotton balls tightly duct taped to the barrel "suppresses" the sound pretty well.  Might try it "off sight" first to see if it is quiet enough for your task.  Good for about two rounds.

BTW, it is an illegal "gun modification" in the US., don't know about in the UK.

Phone

Edited by Phone, 25 September 2016 - 05:10 PM.

#3 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:14 PM

Norm,

You must have bad intentions for some romantic cats.  It doesn't "silence" the round but a half litre water bottle with 6 or 8 cotton balls tightly duct taped to the barrel "suppresses" the sound pretty well.  Might try it "off sight" first to see if it is quiet enough for your task.  Good for about two rounds.

BTW, it is an illegal "gun modification" in the US., don't know about in the UK.

Phone

:clap3: Not cats, it's a fox that has found out how to kill hedgehogs which are endangered here. I've encouraged several in to my garden with food and a friendly habitat and the fox is ruining it. Not illegal here, you don't even need a permit for a silencer on a shot gun, as far as I know. Not a problem with the noise but some of the neighbours feed the foxes and cats so I don't want to upset them if they hear a shot then a fox disappears.  :shutup:

#4 Jim Roper

Jim Roper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Fishing, Local History, Preservation of English Culture.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:57 AM

Badgers are the main culprit when hedgehog remains are found.

http://www.d-das.com/

Lower South Buckland Farm Campsite DT3 4BQ
http://www.campingan...uthbucklandfarm
Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

http://www.fishingtails.co.uk

#5 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Badgers are the main culprit when hedgehog remains are found.

:fishing1: Badgers would have to dig their way in and I'd find the hole, no, it was definitely a fox, never had a problem for over 20 years but now I have one and want to stop it.  :fishing1:

#6 philocalist

philocalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:Ex pro photographer, now designing websites! Lure fishing, predators and centrepins :-)

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

:clap3: Not cats, it's a fox that has found out how to kill hedgehogs which are endangered here. I've encouraged several in to my garden with food and a friendly habitat and the fox is ruining it. Not illegal here, you don't even need a permit for a silencer on a shot gun, as far as I know. Not a problem with the noise but some of the neighbours feed the foxes and cats so I don't want to upset them if they hear a shot then a fox disappears.  :shutup:

Don't know your house, obviously, but I'd be very careful about letting off a shotgun in there   ...   you can face some pretty serious penalties for discharging a bloody airgun in your garden if you are too close to a footpath (or even a public road), never mind a shotgun, regardless of your intentions - and firearms-related charges / convictions and penalties are NEVER a minor issue, with many now carrying a mandatory custoddial sentence, even for stuff that would have seen a blind eye turned, or at worse a 'quiet word' just a few years ago.

Your biggest problem may lie with the possibility of a complaint from a neighbour   ...   a vague call / complaint to the police WILL result in a very blunt visit from an armed police unit   ...   I kid you not! The police WILL NOT attend any incident reported as involving a gun of any type without an armed response unit being there - I've even (recently) seen them put up the helicopter locally as a part of their response, after kids were reported close to where we live, in woodland bordering a lake in a public park!

Oh aye - from experience too - add-on shotgun silencers don't do much at all to keep a shot quiet, they do little more than muffle it a bit, way different to shotguns that are manufactured with silencers as an integral part of the barrel.

Edited by philocalist, 01 October 2016 - 10:44 PM.

#7 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:54 PM

Don't know your house, obviously, but I'd be very careful about letting off a shotgun in there   ...   you can face some pretty serious penalties for discharging a bloody airgun in your garden if you are too close to a footpath (or even a public road), never mind a shotgun, regardless of your intentions - and firearms-related charges / convictions and penalties are NEVER a minor issue, with many now carrying a mandatory custoddial sentence, even for stuff that would have seen a blind eye turned, or at worse a 'quiet word' just a few years ago.

Your biggest problem may lie with the possibility of a complaint from a neighbour   ...   a vague call / complaint to the police WILL result in a very blunt visit from an armed police unit   ...   I kid you not! The police WILL NOT attend any incident reported as involving a gun of any type without an armed response unit being there - I've even (recently) seen them put up the helicopter locally as a part of their response, after kids were reported close to where we live, in woodland bordering a lake in a public park!

Oh aye - from experience too - add-on shotgun silencers don't do much at all to keep a shot quiet, they do little more than muffle it a bit, way different to shotguns that are manufactured with silencers as an integral part of the barrel.

:clap3: Might just have to buy a fully moderated shot gun then, bit expensive for just 1 fox. :clap3:  

#8 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:56 PM

:clap3: Might just have to buy a fully moderated shot gun then, bit expensive for just 1 fox. :clap3:  

#9 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

:yucky: Lost another hedgehog to a fox last night, that's 2 out of my 3 resident 'hogs. No joy on the .410 silencer so am now looking to buy or borrow a moderated 20 bore . SC held. Any offers?  :yucky:

Edited by Norm B, 26 February 2017 - 11:08 AM.