summer baits in winter

The Flying Tench

I'm thinking mainly of rivers. I associate some baits which have a high food content, such as hemp and pellets, with summer. How viable are they in autumn/winter? Will they overfeed the fish?

In particular, I'm interested in trying an 8mm pellet to try and single out the bigger roach. Should I leave this till next summer now?

john clarke

Hemp does not have a high food content and could still be used in winter. In colder water as you know fish will become less active, so they weigh up effort vs reward scenario, and with that very often a large bait works better, and no better I reckon then a large piece of bread flake.

• Like 1

On my local stream I've caught most of my larger roach (1.5lb up to just over the 2lb mark) on bread flake or Caster in both summer and winter. I have caught the very occasional large roach on 5mm crab pellets (meant for chub and barbel) but only during late summer through to late Autumn.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

That's helpful, BB. Am I right these are from a small river? I am learning with difficulty to fish the Thames, and there's a big issue of selecting the bigger fish from a mass of small ones. I am hoping that a medium sized pellet might catch chub, bream and bigger roach. At least I'll give it a try, but I was wondering if it's more for summer. Your answer suggests that it could be marginal, but maybe still worth a try.

john clarke

You are right a lot of my larger roach have been from relatively small upper stretches of rivers where it's usually only around 4 or 5 ft deep at most like the one below,

MarfordFarm01_Upstream800x600.jpg

However; when I used to fish the Thames (up to about 15 years ago) I used to pick out the larger fish from a shoal by getting a shoal of fish feeding well on maggot and then switch my hookbait to caster; while still carrying on loose feeding with maggot (together with a small number of caster); and the caster would often start to pick out the larger fish from the shoal.

I used to catch a fair number of chub and bream using feeders on the bottom but unfortunately I've only had a few roach of over a pound from the Thames, probably because I didn't have access to the better stretches; or its many weir pools, which must be a magnet for the larger Roach (and the other species).

If I fished the Thames today I think I would try to get access to its many weirs like the one below which I've often seen and wished I could fish.

ThamesWier3_2008_05051296x972.jpg

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

That's helpful, BB. Am I right these are from a small river? I am learning with difficulty to fish the Thames, and there's a big issue of selecting the bigger fish from a mass of small ones. I am hoping that a medium sized pellet might catch chub, bream and bigger roach. At least I'll give it a try, but I was wondering if it's more for summer. Your answer suggests that it could be marginal, but maybe still worth a try.

The upper reaches of the Bristol Avon, around Malmesbury used to be an excellent Roach venue, I think we have had this conversation before regarding big Roach John, and I would say without a shadow of doubt the best method for big Roach in the winter had to be feeder with crumb/mash with flake on the hook. However I have had some cracking Roach fishing this summer, whilst targeting Barbel, on the Lower Severn, with a feeder full of groundbait and 8mm hallibut pellet, they went crazy for it. On the middle Severn they get caught on 14mm pellets, I have had them, big clonking things, hardly Mr Crabtree esq though. :fishing1:

Don't neglect the Canals the K&A is stuffed with quality Roach, so much to go at your way....

• Like 2

You are right a lot of my larger roach have been from relatively small upper stretches of rivers where it's usually only around 4 or 5 ft deep at most like the one below,

However; when I used to fish the Thames (up to about 15 years ago) I used to pick out the larger fish from a shoal by getting a shoal of fish feeding well on maggot and then switch my hookbait to caster; while still carrying on loose feeding with maggot (together with a small number of caster); and the caster would often start to pick out the larger fish from the shoal.

I used to catch a fair number of chub and bream using feeders on the bottom but unfortunately I've only had a few roach of over a pound from the Thames, probably because I didn't have access to the better stretches; or its many weir pools, which must be a magnet for the larger Roach (and the other species).

If I fished the Thames today I think I would try to get access to its many weirs like the one below which I've often seen and wished I could fish.

Keith

That first picture looks a lot like Cricklade area Keith, I had permission to fish a meadow from the farmer, I helped her with a calving problem :hypocrite: anyway I hooked about 6 chub on the float, all big things, and the hook pulled on everyone, the hook was a big one, and the bait lobworm,...best size hook for Chub? 16.. you live and learn. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Wow, that small river looks gorgeous!

I may be missing something re the Thames weir pools, though I've got access to most of them through the EA lock and weir licence, which is cheap. I've had reasonable roach to 12 oz from lock cuts, and others have had better, but I don't hear of people targeting the weir pools as such for roach; and I don't know where I'd start with such big areas of water. Any advice would be welcome.

Keith

john clarke