Which tip?

Peter Waller

• 3 weeks later...

Basically all of my ledger rigs for river roach consist of just a few AAA shot on the line and very rarely anything else, there is barely just enough weight to hold bottom and when upstream ledgering with bread it can be quite often for the baited rig to occasionally dislodge on the river bed and slowly work its way through yer swim, it could now be straight out directly in front of you and after a few minutes now end up a little down stream,

I personally don't mind this slight movement in the rig as I believe this to be natural bait movement to a fish that intends to take a bait,

In reality this is actually no different to stret pegging,

I like to have the use of the fine glass tip at all times as in the past I've used carbon and have clearly seen the resistance from tacking fish on a carbon tip and become spooked, yes carbon does work at times but I'd say is only really limited to upstream work but that is about all, me personally I'd still prefer to use the glass as it covers a bigger gap of useage and because the tips are generally soft wary fish hardly feel any resistance until it's to late

That is a very shrewd observation

Stret-pegging is almost a lost art. The reason I use it is the principle of "The nearer the bite indication is to the fish, the better" (the ultimate being sight-fishing, where you see the fish take the bait) Not that there is that much advantage in early bite detection whilst stret-pegging,, you tend to get savage "wrap around" pulls - even from roach. (No. I don't know why - just that it happens)

The above assumes one is fishing as light as possible, a rod length or so out. in a smooth flow Feeder fishing in fast turbulent water or at long range requires a different approach.

The principle of "near to the fish" bite detection goes through to still waters also, watching the point where the line enters the water (the "meniscus" for the scientifically minded) will beat the most sensitive of tips. (after dark, resort to touch legering - but that's another story)

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Want to give Stret pegging a go this year is it best to have a single large shot or a couple up the line and a large shot near the bait ?Guess float selection is all about flow or is there a float that works better for stret pegging going to using large bread baits .

The multiquote function is not working, so questions are in red

FT I've used it at all depths between about three and about ten feet in slow to fast- medium smooth flows. Obviously you need a rod long enough to cope with the over-depth distance from hook to float and I use a centrepin reel with clicker on (see comment on savage bites) . Seems to work better in a "run" or if fishing a pool, fish the "dub"

Stret pegging, that's interesting. I must admit I've never done it. Does it work in any depth of water?

76 I am no expert, but find one of my large range of porcupine quill floats works well enough (attached top and bottom) I use enough shot to JUST make the float sink, then fish about a foot over depth. Obviously, the faster the flow, the more shot needed to make the float sink when pegging (ie held back ) Each swim is different, so I vary things like distance from bottom shot to hook, and amount of line and shot on bottom etc. until I find something that works, One BB eight inches from hook, and as little weight as possible a foot further away ( I use one or two larger shot rather than string of small ones but that is not set in stone) Some reaches I fish are tidal and vary from hour to hour,, so fairly frequent adjustments may be necessary. As a general principle, fish as light as gives you reasonable control - try several lines, working the tackle down each in turn. What needs careful thought is where your loose feed is going. and where it is finishing up . It's all too easy to concentrate the fish in one spot and have your hook-bait in another !

Want to give Stret pegging a go this year is it best to have a single large shot or a couple up the line and a large shot near the bait ?Guess float selection is all about flow or is there a float that works better for stret pegging going to using large bread baits .

:offtopic: My Spell-checker does not like "centrepin" and offered "intrepid" as an alternative :lol:

Philistine !! :bangin:

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 1

RNLI Governor

We up here in the North of England call Fishing overdepth & overshotted "Laying On".

Is it 2 names for the same thing?? Or is Stret pegging different to Laying On in tech' terms??

Maybe it's merely because us Yorkshire folk don't like to use fancy names.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

We up here in the North of England call Fishing overdepth & overshotted "Laying On".

Is it 2 names for the same thing?? Or is Stret pegging different to Laying On in tech' terms??

Maybe it's merely because us Yorkshire folk don't like to use fancy names.

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Stret pegging IS a Yorkshire term - it is Yorkie for "straight pegging"

Ask Gozzer, - or any other other Yorkshire match fisher of mature years

and it is not quite the same as "laying on" This forum has discussed it before - more than once.

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Stret pegging IS a Yorkshire term - it is Yorkie for "straight pegging"

Ask Gozzer, - or any other other Yorkshire match fisher of mature years

and it is not quite the same as "laying on" This forum has discussed it before - more than once.

Your right there Dave, it won me a few matches 'back in the day'. By the way, I like the "of mature years" bit, makes a change from 'old git'. :wheelchair::D

Martin, it's a bit like a cross between laying on, (liggin'on in Tyke), and trotting. It's not a hard and fast method, sometimes the float will be downstream of the bait, and following it at other times. The shotting can vary as well, I sometimes use more than twice the amount needed to cock the float.

I have said on here a few times, that I was taught at a very early age, to listen to all advice given, but never take it as a 'golden rule'. Take what you have learned, and then try to adapt it to suit you, the swim, and the fish. I did this with the way I was told to 'stret peg', especially in shallower water, (around 2'), for smaller fish, or on a river carrying a bit of extra. I fish over depth, and have two bulk shottings. One directly under my float, and the other just off bottom, then a movable tell tale shot starting about 6" from the hook. Fished directly below the rod tip, and held back hard for a time, the lift the rod and let the float slowly move downstream, then hold again. The bites can come as your 'laying on', but more often when you lift the float and let it drag the bait down the swim. The shotting balance is important, and can change several times during a session, as can the amount of time you have a static bait. You have to judge how the fish want it at the time.

It's a method I often use when searching out roach when the river is carrying extra water.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thanks for that John, stret pegging was NEVER a term used in the circles of the Yorkshire Anglers I've ever fished with (& against)

I've only ever heard of the term in Angling books & Mag's, so i assumed it was just a south of Watford thing.

I'll give it some thought while I'm Liggin' in bed.

You Live & learn!!!

One of our now deceased club members (I'm talking over 40 years ago here) used to use to Stret peg/ Lay On/Float Ledger using drilled "Pea Bullet" near the hook length as the only weight, on the bottom & down the edge holding back.

He called it Float Ledgering, which is most probably the correct term??

TBH - There's not that much difference in any of the methods - a more or less static bait save for the fluttering of it in the current.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Float legering, and stret-pegging are two different animals Martin. Stret-pegging is designed to work a bait through a swim, using the float, the float leger is a completely static method.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John