An Alladin's cave for chesters1 and I

corydoras

Wow. The speaker appeared to be using English but I understood as little as if he'd be using Greek or Latin or Ubantu.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Wow. The speaker appeared to be using English but I understood as little as if he'd be using Greek or Latin or Ubantu.

I'm not surprised Newt, apart from an annoying tone, it might help if he spoke in complete sentences. A few of the Aussies I've worked with over the years have had the same problem, and they took some getting used to.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Some great stuff ,years ago i went every week to guildford dead stock and bought tv's and video recorders for a few quid each and fixed them and sold them on for a nice bit of pocket money ,unfortunately the Asians found the place and the prices rose to high for me to fix and make it worth while.

Also the old sky boxes had nice hard drives in, small but far cheaper than new also for a couple of quid at boot fairs and occasionally a decent modern HD one turned up that could be sold on complete on ebay.

I miss boot fairs

The bit with the cooling fins that had dropped off was probably the box had been chucked ocross the room and surface mount isnt that robust and the fins on the HDD was not that silly i suspect it could then touch the box lid and use that as a heat sink ,cheaper than a fan inside the box to cool it

Fans are OK but if your components get so hot they fail if the fan gets blocked through dust then a return is on the cards ,a box that gets hot doesnt have moving parts ,one of my sat boxes has a fan vent but theres no fan installed ,saves a few pennies in production so long as the things last a year thats all thats required for the retailer

My cctv box had a 2.5" drive in it but when i upgraded i put in a 3.5" as you see they are not overly cramped for room ,had they put it in a smaller box they would have needed cooling ofcourse ,saves on metal but brings moving parts into the scene that could fail so lose on replacing dead ones

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson