mobile phone

The Flying Tench

I'm a Luddite who doesn't like modern gadgets, but have been persuaded I should get a mobile that will take pics, mainly for fishing. But I don't want access to the web, I want something really simple. The trouble is, when I google it I get all the latest stuff they want me to buy. Can anyone advise whether I'll get an old fashioned phone, or even the right lingo to use googling?

Thanks

john clarke

I'm a Luddite who doesn't like modern gadgets, but have been persuaded I should get a mobile that will take pics, mainly for fishing. But I don't want access to the web, I want something really simple. The trouble is, when I google it I get all the latest stuff they want me to buy. Can anyone advise whether I'll get an old fashioned phone, or even the right lingo to use googling?

Thanks

I'm surprised you ever got to the "New" Testament ;). Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

What you seem to be saying is that you're perfectly happy with your simple basic phone that is reliable, unlikely to be snatched by a thief and goes over a week on a charge but you'd also quite like a camera for fishing and people are telling you that you should combine the two.

Stuff 'em. Keep your phone and buy a cheap waterproof camera for about 50 notes for fishing.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Agree with Ken ,i have a modern phone ultra secure with a great camera that has both bells and whistles but needs charging everyday even when it does nothing ,on the other hand i have a blackberry storm that has no wifi ,a fair camera and lasts a week before needing a charge if i am out the blackberry is ,the bells and whistles only go out once a week so i can browse on free wifi while i wait for the bus home

The thing about a separate camera though is you need to remember to take it ,a phone today is like taking your hand its second nature so if it has a decent camera its the ideal choice.

You could ofcourse buy a mobius and velcro it under your hat brim and take some action footage as it happens LOL

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I still prefer a phone to use for phoning, some texting, and that's about it except for a good weather app. For photos, I'm still much more comfortable with a decent point & shoot camera that wasn't expensive.

Modern phones have much better cameras than in the past but you will still pay quite a bit for a good phone that is loaded with bells you will never ring and whistles you will never blow. Leave those for the youngsters who live and die with how new and fancy their phone is.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That's interesting, Newt. You mention texting. I rarely do it, but would like to do so sometimes. But on my old war-horse phone you have to press a varied number of times to get any letter, while on modern phones you can touch the characters on the screen. Do you know if I can I get this facility without the web?

john clarke

That's interesting, Newt. You mention texting. I rarely do it, but would like to do so sometimes. But on my old war-horse phone you have to press a varied number of times to get any letter, while on modern phones you can touch the characters on the screen. Do you know if I can I get this facility without the web?

So explain something. What is this big issue with the web being accessible on your hypothetical new phone? I have had a look at loads of plain GSM camera phones but all the ones I can find have pretty crappy cameras.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

But on my old war-horse phone you have to press a varied number of times to get any letter, while on modern phones you can touch the characters on the screen.

Have you checked to see if your phone has *predictive text*?

I remember it not being the easiest thing to find on my ancient Nokia - it wasn't called predictive text.

It doesnt have to be a modern phone to get an onscreen keyboard ,if theres no physical keys then an alternative is provided onscreen ,most blackberries have real keys mine does not so has an onscreen one but its not modern by any means

And modern phones are by no means easier my new one is puzzling for the life of me i cannot find a way of starting a new paragraph whilst texting but its easy on the old one

I didnt need a new phone i dont use the old one except in emergencies (its told not to make any sounds whilst in its case) but to get emails on it from my sister i had to pay blackberry a fiver a month for the privilage so forking out 50 quid for a new one pays for itself in under a year!

I didnt use most of the features on the old phone and i wont use many on the new one its a phone not a pc browsing is stupid a 5" screen pointless LOL

It gets me the realtime bus times but little else AN is so small even sideways i dont use it to annoy whilst shopping

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If you get a web enabled one, you will probably find that it does things you love that you never knew you wanted or could have.

I like the fact, for example, that if I take a photo while I'm out fishing, by the time I get home it is already on my PC. I like the way that it integrates with various other gadgets I own - it knows what my scales said I weighed this morning, and it knows how many calories my watch calculated that I burnt yesterday - and the calorie calculation uses the updated weight from the scales... And I like the way I can tell my watch to make the bloody phone make a noise so I can find it :lol:

It replaced my satnav. My camera. My camcorder. A lot of time my computer. I've used maps to find where I am on a river, and even to see satellite images of my swim on a gravel pit.

Unless you can save a lot of money, I'm not sure why you would want a less capable device.