mobile phone

The Flying Tench

But chesters1 claims he "read somewhere the hackers can now pinch your money from feet away rather than cms".

So who do I beleive? chesters1's unamed source or one of the organisations that provide the service?

The organisations are the last people on earth to admit theres a gaping flaw in their system

You need a point of sale device set up to ask for a payment of say £20 and bobs your uncle the cards not smart it doesnt know if its tesco or crimmo

Logically i can see a POS requesting a payment from feet away if its been doctored to transmit further (or up close if its not but still theres the vunerability of the system) but i dont know how a card could transmit back that far ,but going by history tech is easy to crack so i have no doubt its been done ,after all free money is a great incentive and better still you wont have a clue its been done until after the event and even if its spotted no clue who did it ,all in all the perfect scam

I dare say if i googled i could get counters to all your links with time and diligence of looking in the right place not the obvious place.

I remember someone insisting smart cards were safe they were cracked within 6 months of issue ,i have an old card writer in the loft somewhere i used to use to reprogram satellite cards 20+ years ago

Theres still hundreds of thousands of people NOT paying for encrypted satellite but watching it ,as soon as its supposed to be secure some kid breaks it again

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The organisations are the last people on earth to admit theres a gaping flaw in their system

You need a point of sale device set up to ask for a payment of say £20 and bobs your uncle the cards not smart it doesnt know if its tesco or crimmo

Logically i can see a POS requesting a payment from feet away if its been doctored to transmit further (or up close if its not but still theres the vunerability of the system) but i dont know how a card could transmit back that far ,but going by history tech is easy to crack so i have no doubt its been done ,after all free money is a great incentive and better still you wont have a clue its been done until after the event and even if its spotted no clue who did it ,all in all the perfect scam

I dare say if i googled i could get counters to all your links with time and diligence of looking in the right place not the obvious place.

I remember someone insisting smart cards were safe they were cracked within 6 months of issue ,i have an old card writer in the loft somewhere i used to use to reprogram satellite cards 20+ years ago

Theres still hundreds of thousands of people NOT paying for encrypted satellite but watching it ,as soon as its supposed to be secure some kid breaks it again

Explain to me how the "payment" from a contactless card gets through the system into a Merchant Account?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Explain to me how the "payment" from a contactless card gets through the system into a Merchant Account?

You set up a fake company and use it like anyone else ,if you then draw the money out into another fake account you can get what you want ,if a guy sharpening knives uses one any fool can .i have even seen contactless card POS used at boot fairs so its probably not difficult

I think you can even get paypal ones ,theres probably an APK out there to transfer the data from the POS to your phone and onward wherever such data goes

As i always say if its transmitted in someway its been cracked by someone

I admit in the past to being a hacker but i lack the brains to be a cracker

ATMs cracked long ago ,chip and pin easy peezy so contactless more so as theres no need for the payer to interact with the system ,if the system demands

a pin the card holder doesnt know so the hacker proceeds to the next victim after voiding the last payment demand

I dont like using newspapers they tend to shout before they think but heres a picture and unless its the crooks first ever attempt then it must work or why bother ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/02/17/if-you-have-a-contactless-card-watch-out-for-this-scam/

How about the retail ombudsman?

We know you can physically clone a card but this mentions RF cards

https://www.theretailombudsman.org.uk/be-aware-of-contactless-card-scams/

"While credit card fraudsters are not necessarily interested in small payments of less than £30, being able to read card details is undoubtedly a lucrative business, and there has been some concern regarding the technological developments in this area. Academics from Surrey University found that cards could be read using an inexpensive device up to a distance of between 20cm and 90cm. Banks responded by stating that the only information that can be read using such a device is the cardholders name, the card number, and the expiry date, all of which can be read from the front of the card. However, given that some retail websites do not ask for the CCV/CVC number (on the back of the card), when making purchases, they could be of use to fraudsters."

Ofcourse if you can read a card from 90 cm thats FEET so payments can be made from FEET ,how does a card now its more than 10cm (the stated max distance already shown to be a lie) and refuse a request for a payment? The 3 digit number on the back isnt needed for a sub £30 contactless payment you enter you ordinary pin for a manual card reader ,online you maybe asked for the 3 digit number

The reason for contactless payment is speed not security ,speed makes sure security is secondary ,if you want security use cash or get a card without RF (the bank will give you one) or put it in a sleeve or bacofoil (not used)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I don't care who is right or wrong. You might be right, they might be right, you both could be wrong.

How do I know who is right and who is wrong?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I don't care who is right or wrong. You might be right, they might be right, you both could be wrong.

How do I know who is right and who is wrong?

Try one out for yourself ,i dont care mine has a sleeve just in case ,50/50 says someone is something

I like to be prepared ,its far better to waste a small amount of money upfront than lose a great deal because i didnt .

All i need is an excuse to buy a generator and my life will be prepared for all eventualities, at the moment i can run two emergency freezera on gas for a month ,with a generator as long as i can get fuel .

Plenty of lights ,plenty of trees, plenty of food.we dont live in a vast city so i need to cater for no buses

Mind you if the power goes off with 4 feet of snow who needs a freezer ,that reminds me i must buy more bags for my vacuum sealer

Edited by chesters1

So by implication I think folk are saying that I do need an i-phone to get on-screen texting, but it doesn't need to be a modern i-phone. Have I got that right?

No it could be an Android phone (almost anything that isn't Apple will be Android) or a Blackberry. Chesters likes Blackberry. I wouldn't pee through RIM's letterbox if the place was on fire.

Not now they folded i have a blackberry storm which doesnt have keys so the screen is better for me ,for a fiver it was a good deal ,not sure i like blackberry i choose things because they do what i need with privacy even when theres no need for it ,i am a not a person that makes things easy for others even if the others dont exist if you want an ultra secure phone chuck it in a furnace

Android can be secure but using any app unless you restrict it its open to abuse and ofcourse a secure android phone does very little without google services which is the unsecure part

If you just want a "phone" thats better than android then an iphone of any age is fine ,my sister loves them as she works from her phone ,i have never had one so cannot vouch for them either way.

Blackberry and apple are coming over as secure but i hazard a guess they let the secret services have what they want ,having a phone banned from use could not be good for business after all every tap online we make is recorded and stored somewhere why not phones

I make it really really hard for people to snoop even when they are not and these modern yooofs seem to store their entire lives on their phone ,ideal to grab their identities in one swoop

I really love this playbook though but its browser is getting so cranky it may have to be retired but secure it is so no problem with having my detais pinched as i shop

Edited by chesters1

Dont think blackberry folded. They are, or are thinking of, focusing on secure mobile operating system rather than producing the mobile hardware last time i read about them. Their track record for privacy and security in their OS has been good from what I gather.

I wouldnt say an old iphone is secure either, dont you recall the FBI pressuring apple to produce an OS they could load on to that terrorists iphone 5 so they could access it and then paid a little over $1mil for a security firm to hack it then weeks later a researcher does it for about $100

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/19/fbi_overpaid_999900_to_crack_san_bernardino_iphone_5c_password/

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Rim changed i am sure bringing out the playbook bankrupted them so they changed tack .

Most stuff is crackable but not by someone on the street probing for gateways in ,well until some kid brings out an APP for a couple of quid LOL

I have often wondered if the fbi instruct companies to bring out ultra secure phones (in name) with a backdoor to access them knowing a great deal of sales will be by the people with the most to hide ,easily implemented on blackberry its canadian and north american sales would be a great loss if they refused less so on apple but still north america bring in huge sums so hard to ignore and stick two fingers up at the secret services.ofcourse the chinese will have every backdoor in the book they make most stuff nowadays and it would be obvious to even me have a built in backdoor hidden away in the hardware

Err when i mentioned old i meant iphone 1 ,iphone 5 is brand new in chesters1 land LOL

Edited by chesters1