perch livebaiting

John Weddup

My Wife & I are going to Jamaica soon & yes - I'm fishing!!

Runaway Bay is the resort. Looking forward to throwing in a prawn or sprat to see what happens!!!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Its a shame you can't catch them in the winter Emma, that must be when they weigh their best. Do they never get caught in winter, not even an odd one?

They do turn up but very occasionally. My son got one in winter a couple of years ago while deep trolling (for pike), it was a strange looking thing, very pale, not at all like the vivid colours usually displayed. I had one in March a few years ago, it was a small one yet took a relatively large pike spoon (Kussman professor perch pattern) almost as long as itself. It was very fat and round bellied, presumably full of spawn.

I have tried, oh please believe that I have tried over the 50 plus years(minus the the spent out of the country)that I have been fishing locally to catch 'em in the colder months, long empty sessions on the bitterly cold shores, we thought that we may have cracked it after embracing technology and getting echo sounders, we found large concentrations of fish in the deepest parts of the lake. However jigging, drop shotting with both lures and natural baits markedly produced nothing, ziltch, zero, blank. They may of course have been, by pure bad luck roach, which also occur in the lake.

One of the things that I have learned over a lifetime of fishing is that I don't know everything, I don't pretend that I do and I am never afraid of seeking out the advice of others, if someone 'in the know' were to say, ''go to...'wherever' (on the lake) and use...'whatever'....method and you at least have the chance of encountering stripey, then I would be delighted. I have yet to find a local rod who claims to know how to catch perch in the cold time of the year.

It can't be simply the variables of depth and temperature that is the problem, I know that perch hare caught in equally deep locations and in lower temperatures then we get. I have caught them after drilling through the ice in deep German waters in temperatures of almost 20 below. All we know is that our glacial lakes seem to play by their own rules.

Edited by Emma two
  • Like 3
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

There was a retired guy we met last Winter who had risen to the challenge of spending a lot of his time afloat pursuing perch in the Winter ,we watched him a couple of times trying all the likely spots with his sounder , We haven't seen him since to ask if he succeeded ?

As you've said no one you speak too has ever had them between say end of October & March apart from when hearing of the odd ones fluked out .It's hard to believe they stop feeding as some have suggested before .

• Like 1

I don't know what they do, it goes against all the accepted 'wisdom' about the species. It appears like a form of hibernation.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Hi Phone, I'm taking 2 or 3 take apart , 9 foot rods & a couple or 3 reels.

Might take also my travel (Shimano BX Carbon) 6 piece 12 foot Carp Rod just in case I get outgunned with the above.

Think I'll leave the Tele' Beach rod at home this time. (It's a bit heavy going for for what it is!!)

Far better to take tackle & Not use it, rather than not having it with you.

I thought it was all Sea Fishing in Jamaica??

Yes I do Sea fish, but only when on Holiday.

I can almost fish from the Hotel's, Beach Hut bedroom window.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Hi Phone, I'm taking 2 or 3 take apart , 9 foot rods & a couple or 3 reels.

Might take also my travel (Shimano BX Carbon) 6 piece 12 foot Carp Rod just in case I get outgunned with the above.

Think I'll leave the Tele' Beach rod at home this time. (It's a bit heavy going for for what it is!!)

Far better to take tackle & Not use it, rather than not having it with you.

I thought it was all Sea Fishing in Jamaica??

Yes I do Sea fish, but only when on Holiday.

I can almost fish from the Hotel's, Beach Hut bedroom window.

Be careful a chap i spoke to once went fishing in canada and bought a set of gear to take ,all was fine until he came back and uk customs demanded he pay tax on these 'imported' items ,he was forced to pay then claim it back once he provided proof he purchased it here ,luckily as he bought it new just before going he still had the receipts but trying to find one for a ten year old rod could be difficult.

My niece was challenged about her ipad coming back from china but luckily using it she could provide a confirmation there and then.

It seems to be down to the individual customs person and if they got their leg over the night before as the next time her ipad didnt get a second glance

I expect a PETA sympathiser could take you to the cleaners bringing back fishing gear LOL

Not sure the experiences of other jet setting anglers ,Vagabond? TonyU? Perhaps this angler looked shifty or his eyes were to close together?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I don't know what they do, it goes against all the accepted 'wisdom' about the species. It appears like a form of hibernation.

I wonder if light has anything to do with it?. Your lakes are steep sided with steep terrain either side. It might be there's a very narrow window of 'optimum light' in the winter, no more than an hour or two and then only in a few places.

><((('> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ ><((('>

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

For my stillwater perching that seems to have got me so interested this year I have switched to the Colin Dyson rig fully and have upped my rods slightly to set the hooks. I have also found some very good Drennan drop shotting hooks in size 2 that are both quite fine and absolutely ideal for hooking lives in front of the dorsal fin.

I have now increased my hook up rate and each time the hook has been nicely in the mouth of the perch rather than deep down where the mouth of the bait is.

Many thanks

John