Float fishing for perch - frequency of casting

The Flying Tench

I find it a shame really that (as very often happens on forums) the original thread develops into something else though in this case is still (Loosely) connected??.

Apologies all round, but at least hopefully some good will come eventually from the EA's reply to my Email.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I haven't actually looked closely at the packaging of the Supermarket ones from the fishmonger Aisle, be assured though, they will be from a sustainable Source & may not even originate from the UK??

The Supermarket trade needs to know that it has a reliable supplier in the quantities they require!!

I'll have a look some time & get back on that one.

Here's the Latest :-

The Morrison's brand Crayfish tails are "Wild caught by Creel Nets in China".

Ready to Eat (cooked, peeled & Brined) Yep' Salt kills a lot of Nasties also!!

Exploitation of workers may be another issue!! (probably at both ends)

They are totally safe - at least from the conservation of our Native Species viewpoint.

These are as safe as Prawns, Maggots, Worms Sweetcorn & Luncheon Meat or any other bait for that matter!!

Completely agree. but just pointing out the rule as I'd hate you or any other ANer to meet a jobsworth bailiff and end up with a big fine . . .

Mat

• Like 1

Mat

the name crayfish can mean so many different species of crustacean, it is difficult to determine what the rules mean, or what species are in the packet without using scientific names. The supermarket bought ones could be anything from crawdads to a white clawed. Personally, I don't like using cooked prawns, or crayfish tails - it seems a little artificial to me. Completely irrational. I've caught perch, chub and pike on raw prawns, but they are hellish expensive. Some prawns are so big, that a tail would be the same size as a young crayfish. I've free-lined a few large prawn tails on rivers and caught chub, they hit it with a right bang. I'm sure perch would too.

As to the moving question, yes, I'm sure a twitched one would be more attractive. Not moving, just inched occasionally. it also ensures you are in contact - essential for detecting those perch bites before it gets swallowed. I mainly fish rivers, and I've caught perch while retrieving a free-lined worm - they've chased it upstream. Only ever smallish ones though, half a pound or so. Pike too, but that's probably more obvious. I'm not sure about perch behaviour in a stillwater, but no reason to assume any difference. I've caught them on a moving fly in a lake when fishing for trout.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."