Centre Pin Problem

76jerry

Recently bought myself a new centre Pin because I fish mostly Estuarys I have had a problem with saltwater corroison in the past and been the down fall of two sets of bearings with this in mind bought myself a true Pin and so far been a major disapointment it does not run anywhere as freely as my bearing reels. This reel has a tight spot and has been back to manafacture twice to be sorted they have made it better but have not sorted it fully.Is a true pin likeley to free up with a little more time or should I send it back again or is there someone out there that is good at sorting centre pins out.

My cheap Co polymer pin that I use on really frosty mornings 3 no 4s to set in motion

My Okuma general workhorse 4 no 4s

My new Youngs Atom 14 no 4s to set motion

Hi Jerry, I might be trying to 'teach my grandmother how to suck eggs', if so I apologise.

I don't know if you've used a 'true pin' before, but you have to use them slightly different to a bearing pin. To get the best from them, they do need 'running in', I've found it therapeutic to sit spinning the reel whilst watching TV, or listening to music. The way the reel is held is also different. For the reel to spin best, it should be held horizontally, with the handles pointing up. This way the spool spins on the tip of the spindle, and has least resistance, a fine oil should also be used. I don't know the reel in question, but all of the above have been needed on all the 'true' pins I have had/used over the years.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

My true pins have all run better after I polished the pin with some very fine steel wool - they do also improve with use.

............but at £400+ I'd expect it to work straight out of the box.

Do make sure the drag is not on - I had to fix a mates once cos he complained it was very stiff, I took a quick look, freed off the drag and handed it back to him. :lol:

Edited by ayjay

I got myself a Atom.....I won't go on about it as i'd have to write a SA, but needless to say I sent it back! If it's running how you say it is then obviously there's something wrong. If I was you i'd send it back and get a refund. I know several other people who have got one only to return it for some reason or other. One shop on ebay was off loading them for 300 nicker a couple of months back.....strange in'it!

Regarding centrepin reels in general, I wouldn't use any expensive centrepin reel in salt water, just use a cheap one like a marco or a TFG or something similar as salt will wreck 'em even if you wash them off under a fresh water tap after using them.

Oh, even from new a decent reel that runs on a pin and bush should still be pretty free running but improve after an outing or two at most!

I have a Grice & Young Wide Drum "Sea Jecta MK 2" Centrepin which I bought without realising it MAY be a salt water Pin??

I Guess the application is in the name.

It's very free running & shows no sign of corrosion from salt water.

I've only used it myself a couple of times at a local pond &, although a nice reel I'm willing to let it go!!

Would be nice to let someone else put it to better use than I do!!

I can dig it out if anyone is interested & I'll do a report on it's general condition, although I KNOW it's in good nick. (might be a very slight wobble?? but nothing at all to worry about)

Martin.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

This was a treat to myself after a difficult year love the look of the reel but it performance sadly lacking and is all but unusable and looks like it will be going back. If I am looking for a decent true pin about the same weight as my Okuma any suggestions. Have no problems with my bearing reels since fitting them with Ceramic bearings .Just love float fishing with a pin and every session I learn something new did have look at the Greys Bewick but was a tad small shame they don,t make 4.5 inch one with a ported spool did here rumors that Kingpin were bringing out a true pin. I will pass on the Sea Jecta but thanks anyway.Bought one of the £350 Atoms.

76jerry,

IMO, the only "test" - Clean with 100% alcohol but it's very expensive. Rarely is alcohol cleaner really 100% pure, but it's available cheaply enough at 99% or higher, usually the remainder is pure water or something equally safe (just be sure it doesn't have any "lubricants"). Oil with a Remington Oil product (comes in various configurations) even if the manufacturer says "no oiling") which is far thinner than water. Spin at high speed with a cheap can of "air" (the kind for computer keyboards is OK).

If that doesn't work 100% I would simply invoke the "lemon law". Like "skilled" fishing in general, if I don't have confidence in every aspect, from watercraft, weather, rod&reel, etc., I am not having fun. My equipment is NOT part of the challenge. Isn't that why we go?

Like Ayjay says - you ought to get what you pay for - period. I would NEVER have confidence in the descriptive reel you're groaning about.

Phone

This was a treat to myself after a difficult year love the look of the reel but it performance sadly lacking and is all but unusable and looks like it will be going back. If I am looking for a decent true pin about the same weight as my Okuma any suggestions. Have no problems with my bearing reels since fitting them with Ceramic bearings .Just love float fishing with a pin and every session I learn something new did have look at the Greys Bewick but was a tad small shame they don,t make 4.5 inch one with a ported spool did here rumors that Kingpin were bringing out a true pin. I will pass on the Sea Jecta but thanks anyway.Bought one of the £350 Atoms.

There arn't really many bush and pin reels being made...as far as I know anyhow. Gary Mills would most likely get you one made to your personal preferences within a couple of months, just bell him at Mill tackle which you'll find easy enough on google.

Chris Lythe isn't taking any orders until he's cleared his backlog of orders, but his reels do come up on ebay from time to time along with a few other desirable centrepin reels. You can get some really nice second hand reels on ebay if you keep your eye on it.

Tigger,

Not sure if they qualify but several "steelhead" reels are bush and pin. Expensive as hell.

Phone

You can also google "mooching" reels. Not sure that term is used on your side of the penny.

I have had similar issues with true pin reels in the past. Like others have said, some careful cleaning, I use Penn multiplyer oil, and then left for a couple of hours under a compressed air line, runs fine now.

I have a Garry Mills, was not impressed with the build quality but it is extremely free running, the only reel I have to keep checking as speeds up if allowed to rotate freely with the current.

Have you thought of the Fred Crouch Reels, if still available, I believe these are a true pin reel and would be a cheaper alternative.