Centre Pin Problem

76jerry

It just gets better I contacted the tackle shop that I bought it from to let them know I wanted a refund and they refused and contacted Youngs who are now offering to fit a new hub and spindle. Can the tackle shop refuse to give me a refund, if I say the product is faulty there argument is there might be nothing wrong with the reel but is not doing what I want from it and I have unrealistic expextations of it. So it comes down to youngs if they say there is nothing wrong with it no refund can they do this ?

I think if you have your receipt the shop has to give you a refund (you bought the reel in good faith and it's not fit for use). If the shop won't budge then ask them to put it in writing and tell them your taking it to trading standards. Personally I wouldn't want a reel that's been messed about with....if I still wanted the reel then i'd want the reel replacing with brand new or if i'd had enough of the thing i'd want my money back. It sounds like the shop are being alkward and trying it on!

I have had similar issues with true pin reels in the past. Like others have said, some careful cleaning, I use Penn multiplyer oil, and then left for a couple of hours under a compressed air line, runs fine now.

I have a Garry Mills, was not impressed with the build quality but it is extremely free running, the only reel I have to keep checking as speeds up if allowed to rotate freely with the current.

Have you thought of the Fred Crouch Reels, if still available, I believe these are a true pin reel and would be a cheaper alternative.

I think GM's earlier reels where made to a better standard, I was using this one the other day trotting for chub and it's a cracking reel.....

2016-12-20%2014.07.27.jpg

I know GM makes the Youngs Atom (or someone at his workshop does) , he made and assembled the first 25 and then he made the parts for the rest and youngs assemble them. The one I bought was one of the earlier ones that had been made and assembled by GM but it was imo pretty shyte so it went back. I remember the shop saying that they'd looked at the other one they had and they weren't happy with that one either and it was being sent back to youngs with my return!

All my centrepins are quite old & for certain not very expensive.

I've 2 "Leeds" type which run on sealed bearings - one belonged to my late Dad & the other he bought me for my 16th Birthday (I'm now just turned 60!!)

They were made by one Ken Smith who, was a tool maker at the power station where my Dad worked & one time manager of the England Match team.

Both reels still Run Forever!! so maybe it's a craftsmanship thing??

All the new pins will be made by computer guided (CNC) machine tools & it's just possible that the clearances are made too tight for practical purposes.

I'm an Engineering Inspector of some 35 years & one time machinist (yes I can still do a bit!!) & see it every day whereby parts are made "Too Good" & so don't work on some applications.

My older brother has 2 "Speedia pins (True pins) which also belonged to Dad & they also still run very well indeed.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All my centrepins are quite old & for certain not very expensive.

I've 2 "Leeds" type which run on sealed bearings - one belonged to my late Dad & the other he bought me for my 16th Birthday (I'm now just turned 60!!)

They were made by one Ken Smith who, was a tool maker at the power station where my Dad worked & one time manager of the England Match team.

Both reels still Run Forever!! so maybe it's a craftsmanship thing??

All the new pins will be made by computer guided (CNC) machine tools & it's just possible that the clearances are made too tight for practical purposes.

I'm an Engineering Inspector of some 35 years & one time machinist (yes I can still do a bit!!) & see it every day whereby parts are made "Too Good" & so don't work on some applications.

My older brother has 2 "Speedia pins (True pins) which also belonged to Dad & they also still run very well indeed.

Gott'a argue with that, I have some reels made with very tight tolerances and they work fine, used this one today...

2016-12-22%2014.56.52.jpg

I used to use "Triflon" (renamed Tri-Flow) lubricant in the my Air Rifle cylinders. as the name suggests it contains Teflon but not sure if you can still get it?? When dry, it puts on a very fine coat of Teflon on metal surfaces & I'm sure this would help on pin reels.

Beware though - the aerosol can said deadly poison if inhaled so should be used with caution.

There was a "Brush on" version which would be safer & more appropriate for pins (brush on was no good for me at the time - I needed the spray to squirt down the gun's cylinder via the transfer port)

Edited by Martin56

Chris Lythe will void his guarantee if someone uses GT85 which is a teflon lube.....it's good on my push bike though :). WD40 is another no no for centrepins. The best lubricant for a centrepin reel is sewing machine oil.

Edited by Tigger

What we need is an AK47 of the pin world.

Works under any adverse conditions & comes back for more. :boxing:

Mine must go close. Old & cheap but well built. The reels I mean - not me (well maybe the 1st 2 apply then!!!)

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

I dont expect my Gary Mills reel to last long as some of the rivets are not properly formed. There are some other 'apprentice type' mistakes, i.e. damaged screw heads and poor cleaning before finishing which has effected the final finish. I have never managed to get the ratchet to work properly as the spring is so badly formed and the line guard is an abortion.