Centre Pin Problem

76jerry

I dont expect my Gary Mills reel to last long as some of the rivets are not properly formed. There are some other 'apprentice type' mistakes, i.e. damaged screw heads and poor cleaning before finishing which has effected the final finish. I have never managed to get the ratchet to work properly as the spring is so badly formed and the line guard is an abortion.

I've just been on the Garry Mills site - he's asking £575 for the "Millbrook" model.

Guess you ordered online?? otherwise you surely wouldn't have accepted it as seen in the shop.

PS - I don't like line guards, but that's just me.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

You can still get Triflow Teflon but would not use it on my reels. Chris Lythe told me to use the Penn oil and I cannot fault it.

Tigger, that GM does look a lot better than mine. When did you get the Lythe? Have you still got any on the waiting list? Not used my Lythe's much this year, been using the youngs reels more.

I dont expect my Gary Mills reel to last long as some of the rivets are not properly formed. There are some other 'apprentice type' mistakes, i.e. damaged screw heads and poor cleaning before finishing which has effected the final finish. I have never managed to get the ratchet to work properly as the spring is so badly formed and the line guard is an abortion.

The centre boss screw on the atom I got was mashed up and there where machine marks under the anodising on the back of the spool. The atom isn't even limited as it's described, it's only limited in that colour and then they're gonn'a make more in different colours ! I may well be wrong but everything about the reel felt cheap to me, even the metal it had been made of looked and felt like cheapo stuff.

Sounds like he's just spewing reels out purely for profit now....shame, especially when we know he can make quality reels if he wants too.

As I said GM's earlier reels where spot on, the Browning Revolver is a brilliant reel as are the FJT reels he made. I did see a couple of the perfection reels and I wasn't impressed with them at all.

You can still get Triflow Teflon but would not use it on my reels. Chris Lythe told me to use the Penn oil and I cannot fault it.

Tigger, that GM does look a lot better than mine. When did you get the Lythe? Have you still got any on the waiting list? Not used my Lythe's much this year, been using the youngs reels more.

I've had the Lythe for about eight years now, it was the first one I got off him. I think i've still got three ordered off Chris yet. He's making them customised to my likeing :).

Remember GM makes the reels for Youngs n'all, I have noticed a difference in the latter ones and the older ones also. On a lot the latter ones there seems to be a bump on the spool rims where the handles are attatched, no idea why but it is annoying when they're in use.

I'm curious what model you got from Perfection angling?

I've got a couple of the kingpin zeppelins in 4 and 4 3/4 inch and they're decent reels....

aug%2017%20barb1.jpg

aug%2017%20barb5.jpg

They're not cheap though and imo arn't worth the high price.

I honestly think the okumas are by far the best reels for their money by a country mile.

Edited by Tigger

I ordered mine through Perfection Angling and my wife put it away for a while for a future present otherwise it would of gone back. The line guard caused so many tangles and snapped line that you are better off without it.

As my late Dad would have said - you have to pay to learn Lad.

When buying a reel or rod I (if buying a rod) I always ask to try it with a reel similar to one I was going to use it with.

Otherwise it's a bit like buying a suit online - You wouldn't do it!

Yes I've bought a few of reels & other stuff on eBay AND caught a cold once or twice - but not for much money.

There's always an element of risk buying online.

I once bought 4 reel cases on eBay - could have almost put a keep net in them!!

Edited by Martin56

It could well be that many reels are now made in sweat shops like the ones in India.

A bit like Burberry & Edinburgh woolen mills.

Mitchell reels were made in France back in the day & were the reel to be seen with at that time.'70's- They are now made in China & it shows!!

I bought one of these on eBay & the guy held his hand up & returned my money & told me to keep the reel.

They do work OK, but there is a difference - don't ask what it is - it just isn't the same.

Edited by Martin56

All,

For fun - ICAST 2016

Mitchell-0023.jpg

Mitchell Mag ProR

This new reel from Mitchell features 10 bearings, carbon infused designs, Bail Halo for strength on the rotor arm, a cutaway design and carbon fiber drag for $89.95.

OHH - Made in China

Phone

Edited by Phone
  • Like 1

I've had the Lythe for about eight years now, it was the first one I got off him. I think i've still got three ordered off Chris yet. He's making them customised to my likeing :).

Remember GM makes the reels for Youngs n'all, I have noticed a difference in the latter ones and the older ones also. On a lot the latter ones there seems to be a bump on the spool rims where the handles are attatched, no idea why but it is annoying when they're in use.

I'm curious what model you got from Perfection angling?

I've got a couple of the kingpin zeppelins in 4 and 4 3/4 inch and they're decent reels....

aug%2017%20barb1.jpg

aug%2017%20barb5.jpg

They're not cheap though and imo arn't worth the high price.

I honestly think the okumas are by far the best reels for their money by a country mile.

You've some nice reels Ian, but IMO that king pin should get a zero for looks. :yucky:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

My Angling Perfection is the Avon Perfection. I will post some photographs when I get the chance.

I had two reels off Chris, Have had them four years now, The Scottton long trotter and the AJP Delux.

I had heard a roomer that Gary was getting his son to make the reels but don't know how true that is.