Bernard Venables fishes the Kennet for roach

The Flying Tench

it makes me laugh sometimes as there seems to be many using them now as they are more popular. In one of Matt Hayes programs he is taking the **** out of his mate for using one. Now he has his own range!

I was using one when I well known professional angler just called me a gluten for punishment. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do an article on how to use them some time.

Oh, and I loved Yorkshire Airways!

Glad you like it TFT.

Apparently YA took the anglers out to the 1973 Woodbine Challenge Final :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

He's got selling to anglers sussed.

5 min's in a floppy hat, a quick it's probably the best, some music and cut in a pic of a barbel.............. That's sold a 1000 cheap pins.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I don't know how I've managed for the last 56yrs, I fished a pin for most of it, (exclusively for the first 8 or 9 yrs). I've fished slow rivers as well as fast, canals, and stillwaters. I've legered, fished a waggler, and spun, with them, and all this without using the wallis cast, and (shock horror), with the line coming off the top of the reel! I've used bearing reels, 'true' pins, and some that just rotated on a spindle, some have been very free running, some I had to feed off with my hands. Despite all these handicaps, I've caught fish, won my share of matches during my match days, but most of all, I've enjoyed fishing with a pin, because I feel comfortable with one.

I know people who hand feed line from closedface, and fixed spool reels when trotting, mainly because they feel comfortable doing it that way, it suits them. It might not be the "proper" way, but it's their way, and they're used to it.

I find it strange that BV has been criticised for his centre pin skills, or lack of, when the method he is using is not the one described in the title, which I thought was the most obvious fault with the film.

John.

• Like 2

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

when the method he is using is not the one described in the title, which I thought was the most obvious fault with the film.

John.

Exactly what I thought when I first watched it.

I've seen it before and it comes in two parts.

The state of those roach need a lot to be desired and the underwater film shots look like it is filmed in one of those cascading tanks that you sometimes find in some fish suppliers for keeping weed in.

I still enjoy watching these old films though.

I've always thought that Stret-Pegging was when you 'peg' (anchor) the bait on the bottom below the rod-tip and occasionally lift the float to start the bait trundling a few inches further downstream; fishing slightly over-depth and using just enough shot to hold still on the bottom until you lift the float slightly. (it's quite similar to the lift method for Tench, only its used on a flowing river and uses a small top-and-bottom float instead of a short length of quill attached at its bottom.).

I've often used this method under the rod tip on streams.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I don't know how I've managed for the last 56yrs, I fished a pin for most of it, (exclusively for the first 8 or 9 yrs). I've fished slow rivers as well as fast, canals, and stillwaters. I've legered, fished a waggler, and spun, with them, and all this without using the wallis cast, and (shock horror), with the line coming off the top of the reel! I've used bearing reels, 'true' pins, and some that just rotated on a spindle, some have been very free running, some I had to feed off with my hands. Despite all these handicaps, I've caught fish, won my share of matches during my match days, but most of all, I've enjoyed fishing with a pin, because I feel comfortable with one.

I know people who hand feed line from closedface, and fixed spool reels when trotting, mainly because they feel comfortable doing it that way, it suits them. It might not be the "proper" way, but it's their way, and they're used to it.

I find it strange that BV has been criticised for his centre pin skills, or lack of, when the method he is using is not the one described in the title, which I thought was the most obvious fault with the film.

John.

Hi John us 2 must be the only ones who've committed the Cardinal sins of fishing the line off the top of the pin AND not Wallis casting. :bangin:

Didn't realise at first that the Title - "Learn How To Fish The Pin" was a film about Terry Knight Learning How to Fish the Pin!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

A great video John, I wish the Kennet could still produce such roach in numbers. I had a trotting session on the Thames yesterday which brought back childhood memories of when they could be found in most rivers and lakes, though they always seemed to be bigger back then. 6 hours, 40 odd fish and none below 8 ounces the best being 1lb 2oz, a couple of pike anglers kept pestering me for livebaits but there was no way any of these roach were finding their way onto the end of a trace. I could spend days doing that.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back